Software
Houzz Logo Print
leeclish

Kitchen layout help

7 years ago

In my new house build, I would like to have a double wall oven instead of a freestanding range (see attached picture). Builder is suggesting to have the wall oven on the same wall as the current range, but closer to the pantry. Cooktop would stay in the same spot as the range. When I look at the layout, I envision not enough space to open the oven doors because the fridge is on the adjacent wall. If I have the double oven where the builder suggests, should I move the fridge over to the left to center the sink and have counters on both sides of the fridge? Would there be a better layout than what the builder is suggesting? I appreciate all feedback! Thanks!


Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    I see no windows in kitchen so give yourself a squared island w seating on two sides as people interaction will be the draw rather than view of the two walls. Don't really need 24 in overhang for seating and 12 in storage cabinet underneath shouldn't be needed w large dining room and extra lg pantry. Put two sinks in kitchen. Put fridge at other end of that shorter wall and ovens far down on right from cooktop on that longer wall. Sink in island and sink on fridge wall. With square island your aisles will widen which is important.

    leeclish thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would put the cooktop on the ref wall and put the ref and wall ovens on the cooktop wall and push the island out a bit...There are alot of doorways on the other side of that pantry - I am wondering if there isn't a better way to lay all of that out..if you could move the pantry door then you could have an l shape with the sink and cooktop - turn the island direction and then have the ref an wall oven on the wall where the ref is now.

    Some food for thought!

    leeclish thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 7 years ago

    Assuming the LR/FR is off to the left, and assuming you are OK if the fridge is seen from that area, this layout uses Debbi Washburn's idea to put the range on the short wall, and fridge and ovens on the longer wall:

    leeclish thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 7 years ago

    The cooktop on the outside wall may deliberately be placed there for ease of venting. That is a major consideration. A kitchen planner can sort through some factors with some things already decided it appears.



    leeclish thanked herbflavor
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all so much for your advice! I am reaching out to a local kitchen designer because there are some narrower aisles in the kitchen area and you are correct - the builders don't always have the best kitchen layouts. I really appreciate your comments! Thanks again :)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Good for you ... it really helps not only for the designer's expertise but also being able to see the 3d mock up. It really helps you to see the space....

    leeclish thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 7 years ago

    Can we see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house? I think there's a better floor plan than what you have shown.

    leeclish thanked cpartist
  • 7 years ago

    cpartist, thank you for your response. See attached for main floor layout.


  • 7 years ago

    I would flip your island 180 degrees so it looks out into the great room instead of running perpendicular to it...

  • 7 years ago

    I’m sure Deb means rotate the island 90 degrees.

  • PRO
  • 7 years ago
    My initial thought as to change the orientation of the island.
  • 7 years ago

    @zsmith -- yes, clearly my degrees were off :)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Is there a good reason why there are no windows along the long wall to the right? This space will be really dark no matter what the layout is. If windows can be added, that will have a major effect on the layout, and your kitchen designer will need to take this into consideration.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If you rotate the island than move the pantry door down to the left so that you have an L Shaped Kitchen with small separate coffee bar on the south wall after the door.