Software
Houzz Logo Print
janellos

Good enough for gray grout?

7 years ago

I'm ready to grout my shower but I'm second-guessing my light gray color choice. I still like the idea of gray, but I'm afraid it will accentuate my imperfect tile setting. I wonder if white would camouflage my mistakes.


Please be honest, but kind, about my first DIY shower tile. How bad is it? Can I go gray or do I need to stay safe with white? FYI, this is in a guest bathroom that will not get a lot of use.









Here's my test sample of the gray on:



Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago

    You did a great job!

    janellos thanked Eli Mo
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    I have a love/hate relationship with DIY. I always go into it so confidently then start over-thinking and stressing out.

  • 7 years ago

    It looks almost as good as my very expensive pro that just tiled my 3 upstairs bathrooms! By the way we used a color called "Frost" which is a very light grey by Mapei. We used "White" in one of the bathrooms and it looks kinda yellow. We didn't like it (but left it be) and did the next 2 in the Frost color, much prettier and very light, seems quite forgiving. It's not like you are grouting with black.

    janellos thanked AJCN
  • 7 years ago

    Well done. You are going to be harder on yourself than anyone else will be - that looks consistent and thoughtful in layout, design and cutting.

    janellos thanked just_janni
  • 7 years ago

    Way to go. Looks good from here!

    janellos thanked kats737
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Very good DIY job focus on small areas and make sure you follow grout instructions to A T. GET nice full joints and dont overwater. you can win

    janellos thanked Mint tile Minneapolis
  • 7 years ago

    Okay. Here's the deal. That is waaaaay better than many of the shots of contractors' work that have been posted in here. Waaaay better.

    But...

    1. We're just looking at pics, not the real thing, so only you can really judge.

    2. Gray will 'accentuate your imperfect tile setting'.

    3. White will definitely camouflage your mistakes.

    4. Gray will give you a grid pattern that is obvious. White will give you a clean, unbroken field of shiny whiteness.

    Personally, I'm partial to the unbroken field school of thought--let the tile make the statement, not the grout.

    If it were me, I would play it safe. Use white. Don't tempt fate. If you use gray and find that it highlights any imperfections, it's too late; they will haunt you every morning as you shower.

    That's a shower that you can show off to your friends--especially if it's all white and your little imperfections don't pop out. But, nobody likes a show-off, so...

    Congratulations!

    Post pics when you're done.

    janellos thanked tatts
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    You lay tile very well! White grout gets dirty over time, dark grout turns white with soap and chemical use. A light gray may not be a bad choice. Easier maintenance. Good luck!

    janellos thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
  • 7 years ago
    Go with your grey choice! You did and amazing job!
    janellos thanked teddytoo
  • 7 years ago

    White grout does NOT get dirty over time. What kind of slobs clean so seldom that the grout can get stained? (problematic water notwithstanding, and then it will stain anything)

    I'm no slave to cleaning, trust me. A spray with after-shower cleaner once or twice a week is basically all it takes. Seventeen years in this house and no stained grout. Don't look too closely at the floor in the laundry room, but the grout's fine.

    janellos thanked tatts
  • 7 years ago

    If you are using Custom Fusion Pro grout, #381 Bright White is the whitest grout and #11 Snow White is a very light gray.

    janellos thanked wdccruise
  • 7 years ago
    Janellos- don’t be so hard on yourself, that’s an excellent job! In my non professional opinion, I say go with grey grout. White grout is a PIA to keep looking nice and I think grey will be a nice, subtle touch. So, Well done to you!
    janellos thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Ok this is my take. Job looks good. I did a 12x24 tile job as a DIYer and I ended up with lipage. the tiles were heavy and hard for me, but I love my shower anyway. I used white grout with a smidge of gray to try and mask the grout lines. The problem is that while the grout lines were evenly spaced there was lipage and a shadow gets cast with the lighting. If I had used gray, I think the shadow would have been disguised. I don't see any lipage with your tile, but only you know if it is there. So I recommend gray to disguise any shadows that are cast.

    janellos thanked enduring
  • 7 years ago

    I did it!

    Here is my newly gray-grouted shower! I think it came out pretty well, although I wish I'd done smaller grout lines.

    Two things I wished I'd known before I started this project: 1) Tiling takes waaaaaaay longer than I imagined. 2) The actual grout lines are going to be bigger than the spacers are labeled; they aren't really going to end up 1/8".





    Next steps: caulk the corners, repair & repaint the spots where the painters tape removed the paint on the walls!!


    Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!

  • 7 years ago
    Looks like a real pro did that. Looks great! Good job!
  • 7 years ago

    Congratulations!

  • 7 years ago

    looks better than some of the pro work people post on here.


    make sure you use 100% siliconized grout/caulk on all of the inner corners of your walls and where the shower pan meets the bottom row of tile. no grout should be in any of those.

    janellos thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago

    I too think you did a really nice job. As you probably know by now, the grout manufacturers make caulk that matches their various grout colors (Custom example). Also, the Frogtape Multi-Surface is a great painters tape -- for your next paint job. -- amateur

    janellos thanked wdccruise