Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    Lovely, Jeri. Is this bloom from your Golden Celebration hedge?

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    Just the very thing I was going to ask. GC has such a rich, sumptuous color.

  • 7 years ago

    Jo, yes. But our evil new neighbor has planted huge things right up next to them. OTOH, Golden Celebration has responded to that by thriving. Go figure.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh my, that is a GORGEOUS bloom and photo...

  • 7 years ago
    I love her too.

    Sorry to hear about your roses Kitty.

    I am thankful to be able to get to this forum. I have been trying for a month with no pages loading for Antique Roses. Ugh
  • 7 years ago

    Jeri - ah, sorry to read about your neighbor. But glad that Golden Celebration is up to the challenge!

    I guess many of us have to contend with whacky, thoughtless or downright mean neighbors. I am now fairly certain that my Mel’s Heritage that died suddenly, and which I posted about here, was because of something my neighbor had sprayed. (I lost another rose last year to the neighbor’s mow-blow-go guys spraying whatever it is they spray but this time I was able to tie the two events together. )

    Wow, Kippy - that’s a gorgeous bouquet! Glad you found your way back to the forum.

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, Jo! Your trauma eclipses mine! And yes -- so far GC is up to the challenge. Maybe because the plants are so old? And the rose still makes my heart sing.

  • 7 years ago
    Jeri, Golden Celebration is so pretty isn’t it! I love, absolutely love, my Golden Celebration put in with Darcey Bussell in my new landscaping last fall. The only two of my roses, that I assume to be, on Dr Huey rootstock, since they came from the landscapers. All my other roses I bought from various OGR nurseries on own roots. Golden Celebration bloomed all winter until it rested early this spring and then just put out an absolute mass of buds. I am on vacation but hopefully it’s still in bloom when I get back so I can post. Interestingly mine is also fighting root competition at the base of a mature Sycamore tree, but on the South side so it gets lots of sun. It really seems to be thriving there. Jeri, is yours grafted or on own roots? I am not really sure if I would be able to tell if mine is grafted.
  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie -- I have a combination . . .

    Our first GC was from Canada, in 1992. It was budded onto their supposed seedling rootstock. It was the biggest and fastest-growing. A year or two later, we added two J&P plants, on Dr. Huey rootstock. One of those later died, but the two remaining filled-in.

    We made an own-root plant from the Canadian plant. It was slower to take off, but is now both large and vigorous.

    I doubt anyone could tell that there was a difference, but the Canadian plant (and its offspring) MIGHT be virus-free. The Huey plant, must be virused.

  • 7 years ago

    Love Golden Celebration, beautiful rose and wonderful scent. Don't get me started on neighbors and "mow and blow" yard maintenance. My neighbors saw off any leaf that hangs over the fence, no matter if it's a tree or flower or weed. And what the tree trimming companies do, mutilating trees so they look like lollipops. Oh, it's painful to see. Curses to people using chainsaws with no training or feel for the plants whatsoever.


    Sigh, back to the beautiful roses...

  • 7 years ago

    Kippy, I'm so glad you found your way back, and sorry that it was such a trial. They don't make it easy for anyone here. If you can, please post garden pictures. It's always easier to use the following slot rather than the opening post, which can be tricky for many. What a lovely bouquet of GC.

  • 7 years ago

  • 7 years ago
    Jeri, that is a beautiful shot. So pretty !!
    jin
    jerijen thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    Ugh. I can’t get to the antique rose section again. But can still see this

    Still loving Golden Celebration here. I have one grafted and one own root but can’t tell one from another now