Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21808948

Major countertop help - all white kitchen

7 years ago
Hi everyone. We are doing an all white kitchen at home and im having major trouble picking counter tops. Everything i love - think carrara and calacatta is marble and is a no for us. I found super white which i love but half the places we went to said its a marble and some say its a quartzite and were worried about staining. I havent found any granites that give me marble vibes. Were looking at quartz but they look “fake” to me. Can anyone recommend some? Right now we are looking at quartz - calacatta lago and calacatta lazo posted below.

Comments (65)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I believe it's a quartzite.

    Leana, I came across this site and thought you might like to read about the countertops

    https://www.thespruce.com/kitchen-countertops-4127859

    User thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you! Great info. I think were going to go with one of the 2 quartz' posted above, we want very little maintenance. Just trying to pull the trigger on which one. Different question - all white cabinets, white/grey countertop, appliences are stainless steel (stove, microwave, oven) fridge is paneled white. What color should our sink be? Should it be white, stainless steel or a grey color?

  • 7 years ago

    any of those would work. so would black, charcoal, or copper. Pick what you like. not everything has to match exactly! it's fine to color outside the box a bit ;)

  • 7 years ago
    Got it! I want to do oil rubbed bronze hardware, so it gives the kitchen a little pop! Kind of like this
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    personally I despise SS sinks. they always look a mess. I've had a copper sink for 15 years and love it. you could go w/more of the aged copper and it would look great w/the ORB.


    doesn't have to be farmhouse sink. look how beautiful the under mounts look

    Or just go w/the white enamel. have you seen the Silgranit sinks? they have some darker colors you might like for added contrast


    have you seen the hammered silver color sinks?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pretty sure I researched Shadow Storm not too long ago and found that it was a dolomite marble.


    I really like both of those quartzes. Since they are both MSI...do a little googling about them just to be sure...I know I have read some less-than-happy posts about MSI quartzes here.

    And I DO like stainless sinks. I would not have anything else.

  • 7 years ago

    dolomite is a tad hardier than say, a carrara marble. It all depends on the particular slab you get .

  • 7 years ago
    @beth interesting, ill look at those sinks! Im super torn between brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze. I LOVE these lights for over the island which is my inspo. I suppose I can still do brushed nickel hardware & the dark pendants. All the door handles in my home are oil rubbed bronze (almost black)... do you think its okay to mix & match like that?
  • 7 years ago
    Kind of like this
  • 7 years ago

    yes. it's perfectly fine to mix metals

  • 7 years ago

    Not sure which is lago/lazo but I like the one with the blue check mark best.



  • 7 years ago
    Thanks! I think im leaning towards that one as well.
  • 7 years ago
    Thanks guys! Im going to see one more in person tomorrow, this one below. What do you all think? Which is your favorite?
  • 7 years ago

    this is Calacatta Laza. very pretty

  • 7 years ago

    The bottom of your two samples looks more realistic in the photos.

  • 7 years ago
    Just got super white over Laza here.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Alex, It's pretty, but that's not Super White. looks like shadow storm

  • 7 years ago
    Beth, it’s what my wife picked out at the warehouse. Maybe it’s wrong, but on his drawing it says super white.

    It’s really pretty either way, and I’m a fan, not like my vote matters much during this.

    *side note I have another posting about backsplash and stove wall. If you could point me in the right direction on the post.

    Thanks
  • 7 years ago
    @Alex that is pretty. Is that a granite?

    @beth yes i love the laza and lago both!
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    https://www.visionlearning.com/blog/2013/12/12/geology-kitchen-mystery-super-white/

    Read ^^ for more info on Super White. I agree with Beth though - that definitely looks like Shadow Storm. The slab yards are just notorious for mislabeling...but regardless, pretty sure you have a dolomite marble there.

  • 7 years ago

    If you want the marble look but prefer something more low-maintenance for the countertop, consider doing a solid white (or gray) manmade quartz with a marble slab as the backsplash. (Matching is important here!)


    (Yes, the marble-look quartzes look fake. They can still be pretty but they aren't fooling anyone!)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I solved this problem by using Glacier White Corian for my countertop and then used white honed Carrera marble large subway tiles for my backsplash. I love the look and keeping the backsplash clean (it was sealed) is a breeze. I also have a Corian integrated white sink - LOVE that thing! It is SO easy to keep clean. I love their huge single sink - I think mine is #9980. It's the perfect depth! I've had that sink now for 16 years and it's simply the best.

  • 7 years ago
    @anglophilia do you have any photos you could share?
  • 7 years ago
    I prefer the bottom, more gray slab personally. I think it's much more interesting to look at. I also agree that there is no quartz that looks like real marble. I have Glacier White granite in my kitchen and it looks similar to marble (white with gray veining) but has lots of garnets in it which you probably won't want.

    I love the idea of choosing a plain white-toned quartz and doing a marble backsplash so you have the durability you're after but still have genuine marble.
  • 7 years ago
    I found this “white fantasy” granite, which looks an awful lot like super white. Is this another case of a stone being mis labeled?
  • 7 years ago
    I also found one called white princess granite online, anyone used either that or supreme white granite?
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    White Fantasy is super white. (and they even call is quartzite. it's not)


    River White is named at least 6 other names!
    princess white, white princess

    white galaxy, galaxy white

    try Python, white Python in a honed finish

    or leathered. this is not a granite though

  • 7 years ago
    I did all white kitchen years ago, ended up looking like a sterile operating room.
  • 7 years ago

    Soapstone looks pretty good with white cabinets.

  • 7 years ago

    @beth so there is actually something called princess white thats a granite?! I love the look of this. Im on the hunt for it here in New jersey

  • 7 years ago

    https://homeluf.com/granite-countertops/


    Here is a great article on "white" granites, and other stones. From what I have read, "Princess White" gets mislabeled just like most of the other white stones. I would not take anything at face value - I would test the slab myself.

  • 7 years ago

    Here is a white quartzite that is really nice. Called Blanco Laura.


    https://crsgranite.com/colors/white/

  • 7 years ago
    So heebeejeeb what quartz did you pick and can you pistol a picture?
  • 7 years ago
    Sorry post not pistol
  • 7 years ago

    Sure! I didn't post a picture originally because my choice is different to the look the OP wants but her post definitely spoke to my experience of quartz looking out of focus & off white, until I saw the slabs in person.


    I went with cosmos Artic Ivory. I think it looks pretty in my slightly austere kitchen. Tiles are have an insustrial feel and an off white. We had a limited budget & live in our house hard but this is combo of quartz & imperfect tile finish makes it the most practical (and to my eyes attractive) kitchen I've ever had.





  • 7 years ago
    Thats a gorgeous kitchen!
  • 7 years ago
    What do you all think about mixing quartz countertops with a marble backsplash? I originally wanted to do the same backsplash as the counter tops (all one) but if were going with the laza counter top im concerned it will be too “sterile” . Thought maybe i could add in some real marble as backsplash in subway or herringbone, or something similar.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    it's done all time. just search quartz countertop kitchens and look at all the marble splashes with it. you just have to be careful what marble you pick and put next to the quartz you choose. sometimes it works, sometimes not. just depends on the coloring.

    this is a very subtle countertop. not a lot of veining to compete w/the real marble


  • 7 years ago

    When mixing a natural material with a man-made imitation it's important that one doesn't "show up" the other. Think how odd it looks when you see the vinyl plank floors that try to look like wood abutting actual hardwood floors. Yikes. In the counter project, I worry that a similar dis-harmony would be hard to avoid with marble-imitating quartz counters adjoining real stone tiles on the backsplash... and that while it might look OK with the samples, the disconnect might be more prominent in the final installation with the larger surfaces together.

  • 7 years ago

    heebeejeeb - love your kitchen and ESPECIALLY the range hood! I really dislike the monsters that take over the kitchen - yours is so NOT that, and just blends perfectly!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    "if were going with the laza counter top im concerned it will be too “sterile” . Thought maybe i could add in some real marble as backsplash in subway or herringbone, "

    That laza is ANYTHING but sterile. It has a lot of movement, and you really don't want to add much "oomph" behind it. I think a quiet marble tile would be fine, but please don't do a herringbone.

  • 7 years ago
    Weve decided to go with calacatta laza from MSI as shown below. Which color kohler sink would you choose?
  • 7 years ago
    Weve decided to go with calacatta laza from MSI as shown below. Which color kohler sink would you choose?
  • 7 years ago

    nice choice! what hardware? gold or silver? or? color floor ? i'm afraid that the white one will be too white next to it, but it could still work. either of the other grays should work too. I kind of like the darker one. with champagne gold hardware and lights!

  • 7 years ago
    @beth - my house is a mix of brushed nickel and aged bronze (almost like black) so kitchen i THINK am going to stick with my initial gut of brushed nickel hardware with dark metal lights like these.
  • 7 years ago
    And our floor is hardwood and it will be stained a dark brown, a true brown with gray undertones. I forget the name of the stain we went with but we mixed a dark brown with classic gray from minwax.
  • 7 years ago
    We are living your confusion too. Love marble - it’s the only look I want - but there’s no way we can do it. Too impractical. I agree, the quartz looks so fake - like laminate or something. Like quartzite a lot but they tend to have so much beige in them, dark gray or even green. Our cabinet color is called simply white but against very white countertops it looks more cream, which i did not want. Our island is a stain called blackberry, the darkest wood they had but not black. Now worried the grays won’t work. Feeling your pain.
  • 7 years ago

    @coop522 i know i completely feel your pain as well. we ended up going for calacatta laza in the kitchen and using the super white (marble/dolomite/quartzite - lots of unknown about this one) in other places in the house like around the fireplace, for the bar etc.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    This is quartzite which is a natural stone just like granite and marble, but behaves similarly to granite. Although quartzite is metamorphic just like marble, it is much harder than marble, more durable, and easier to maintain. If you behave with it as you would with granite, you're safe. Seal it regularly, don't place hot pots directly on it (use mats and trivets), and use mild detergent with warm water to clean it every day. Some of the most gorgeous kitchens I saw have quartzite countertops, so I would definitely give it a go.