Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

Question about KBG seedheads.............

Lisa
4 years ago

I mowed just now and I noticed all my grass is turning to seed, It used too do this every spring for yrs and stopped for a few years, I sodded it back in 2009 October, and for yrs it would turn to seed and be super thick, and its doing the same pattern this spring suddenly noticed it tonight.. this is what it looks like

Comments (5)

• Joe BigBlue
    4 years ago

I forget where I heard him say it but apparently it's normal right now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hBsISxUqW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUpJqUoa9CM

everyone, including me, has them. It's the weather pattern and nothing to be worried about. Just mow them.

Lisa thanked Joe BigBlue
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Joe, They came on suddenly, crazyyy!! we are getting so much Rain here in Pittsburgh, I am trying not to worry about the fungus, I used the bayer at a preventative rate and in 21 days going to apply another one on the fence about scott's disease ex not sure if Azoxystrobin sp? is effective on dollar spot ( which is what I seem to get every summer ) How's it going over in NJ? did you use the Milo yet???

• Joe BigBlue
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yeah we've gotten a lot of rain here, although I'm not complaining. Everything is growing/blooming: grass, flowers, trees, shrubs.....in fact, everyone's lawn looks good here right now lol!

It's nice that the temps have been very Spring-like for the last 6 weeks....last year we went from snow on the ground to 90 degrees in like a week.

As far as the fungus from what I've read the combo of Bayer and Scott's should do the trick with most all diseases.....let's hope. I don't know if you remember but I did a video last year where my lawn was destroyed and that was the 3rd week of June.....that's why I started this year so early....I figure if by mid August the lawn is still healthy I've made it......fingers crossed.

The milo is going down on Monday, I'm getting ready to mow this morning.

I wonder how daniel's lawn is doing; I know he's in NJ also....

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    4 years ago

Mine too, in spots! Later on, healthier sections will start to look like waving fields of wheat just before the next mow.

We've had a lot of rain followed by bright sun, so it's been a great year for lawns. Just mow 'em off and enjoy the high-contrast mowing track in the lawn. :-)

So far, we're fungus-free in PA, and the weather looks to change after next week to warm and sunny, so that's the end of the risk of spring fungus. I've had my anti-fungal in hand, waiting but...it looks like I don't need to pull the trigger, which is good. I hate doing it.

• danielj_2009
    4 years ago

Hi all! I had 15 yards of mulch delivered two weeks ago and am finally down to the last couple of yards! Between rain and other obligations it's taking forever to get down but it sure looks nice!

As far as the lawn, it is growing nicely as is most everybody's. It is still just waking up in the shadier sections. I learned a new phrase today: "spring fungus." If we're talking about snow mold, I understand, but is there some other problem fungus that can appear in the spring? My understanding is that you had nothing to worry about until soil temps hit 68 degrees, which is a ways off yet. I am consigned to the idea that I have to use fungicides every year. I'm still seeing scars from previous years. Last year I used Headway G which has both ingredients Joe is using. I read that you can use three consecutive applications without danger of resistance. Three apps is all I need in a season so I assume I can use it again three more times in the next season.

I do have patches of clover which I'll have to take care of (and also lots of grassy weeds in the back yard that need Tenacity). It is interesting, though. Clover fixes nitrogen in the soil and you can see where the grass is growing faster where the clover is. Oceangro (milorganite) goes down today in between rain.