Software
Houzz Logo Print
joymartinwhite

Vinyl Planking ---- opinions?

7 years ago

We are building and I am considering using vinyl planking throughout the house. What are your thoughts and opinions on it? If you have it, share pictures! How has yours held up? Any advice for me?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    It depends on the house and the area in which you live. I personally would not buy a house with this as one of my "deal-breakers" would be that the entire house (less the bathrooms) must have site-finished hardwood floors.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You either are OK with plastic and fake, or you aren't. It's probably OK for a cheaper house. At the median price and above, the value would be downgraded if it didn't have wood.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It really depends on what your needs are. While some prefer real hardwood floors, they are not practical for many, many people. While I think hardwood is beautiful, I could never live with it with my lifestyle which involves lots of dogs, wheeled things (chairs, suitcases, parrot cages), cooking, and water. Plus my homeowners insurance would cost a fortune if we insured our floors (I’m a -3’ BFE in a flood zone where it has never flooded - ((Sigh))) Nobody in our neighborhood of high-end homes has hardwood floors.

    We pulled out ratty carpet in a couple of bathrooms and put in Shaw Floorte Largo Mix Plus in Campania Jatoba and I love it. I want to replace everything in the house with it!

    Joy White thanked c9pilot
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for your response! We are a super high traffic home----with hundreds of people through it over the year, plus we have two big dogs! I have wood in my current house and it looks TERRIBLE after just five years. So I am looking for a more durable option and stumbled across vinyl planking! Thank you for your review!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here's a discussion of pros and cons.-Here.

    Like vampires, vinyl is susceptible to sun damage. It won’t disintegrate, but it will fade. If you have a wall of windows or a ceiling of skylights, reconsider buying vinyl.



    These guys have large print films for less noticeable repetition.


    Floorscore cert.-

    https://www.scscertified.com/products/cert_pdfs/Flooret_2018_SCS-FS-04681_s2.pdf

    Joy White thanked dan1888
  • 7 years ago
    Although it's not my favorite surface, in your situation I would consider porcelain tile. It's tough, easy to clean and doesn't require management of humidity levels.
    Joy White thanked jmm1837
  • 7 years ago
    It’s ok. We just put some down in the kitchen, and it’s not bad. I like it and it’s pretty good .

    My whole house tho, that might tough to swallow.

    Some areas I understand.

    Kitchen, family room, hallways, foyer

    Carpet in bedrooms

    Tile in bathrooms.

    Then it’s ok.
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks everyone! We are going tile in the full baths. I DETEST carpet so that isn't an option for me! Haha! The modin product seems appealing. I will look into that! I appreciate everyone's feedback!


  • 7 years ago

    I'm not a fan because it's basically plastic and I want as little plastic in my house as possible.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    "Vinyl Planking ---- opinions?"

    Anything else.

  • 7 years ago

    Since you mentioned the big dogs, I wanted to caution you against a dark/dark-ish vinyl product -- A flooring guy (small family business) easily talked me out of espresso-wood-look vinyl by mentioning the visible scratches left by large canines when sunlight hits the floor. :-)

    And I wasn't considering the bargain-basement stuff, either. CoreTec, I think it was called; something like $8/sqft *plus* labor and trim/transition pieces.

  • 7 years ago

    Why?

  • 7 years ago

    We used vinyl planking in our last home and we’re very happy with both the aesthetic and performance. We went with the British company Karndean, because they have a great reputation and a huge variety of styles. We chose a white painted oak style and are thrilled with the look and the durability (it’s been in 4 years and takes a beating).


    I don’t think it’s the right choice for every home. However, for durability and price it was the perfect choice for our (literal) farmhouse.

    Joy White thanked 3pinktrees