Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_38632450

An oddity: "Pink Phoenix"

7 years ago

One of the things I enjoyed most 10-15 years back was experimenting with breeding roses that had probably not been used in decades. One of those was 'Fortune's Double Yellow', a "Tea" climber of ancient origins. In 2006 I asked folks I knew (mostly in California) if they could share some pollen of this old Tea with me, for breeding purposes. Barbara Oliva came through for me and mailed me some pollen from a plant she had access to. One of the roses I pollinated with FDY was Ralph's 'Joycie', a breeder with a clear record of producing decent offspring. My hope had been that 'Joycie' would share some of FDY's genes for yellow/orange and manifest these hues in a modern hybrid. A few seedlings did come out fiery orange/red, but none of those survived The Big Freeze of 2015 (or was that 2014??)

This clone (47-06-02) was also badly damaged that winter, but it sent up a tiny sprig of growth in 2017 (much to my surprise) and has grown steadily since. It is now 2 canes, the largest about 8 feet long. This is how it looks today, May 12, 2019:



These blooms are quite large (3.5") and they don't open up much more than this. They are quite pendant (hang down), which is a trait I consider totally appropriate for a climber (if they are above your head, you get to look up into their faces), and it forces the viewer to interact with the rose (lift the blooms) to get the best it has to offer. I like a rose that holds something back for "the reveal".

It has a pleasant (but mild) modern-ish/Tea fragrance, but it flowers only once a year. For this reason it has no real commercial value, but I consider it a unique result coming from an unlikely mating of vastly different parents, and I find it utterly charming in spite of its limitations.


Its nickname is - for obvious reasons - "Pink Phoenix".

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful! If it’s commercially available I’d grow a couple. It looks so lovely!

  • 7 years ago

    @summersrhythm:

    I seriously doubt this rose would survive in a Zone 6 climate. It barely survives here in Zone 8a! Glad you like it though. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Gorgeous!

    User thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Wow, what a beauty! I think there are still many of us who appreciate once-bloomers. I would happily adopt such a gorgeous plant. :-)

    User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    @Perma:


    I will keep you in mind when/if I succeed in rooting a few pieces of this one. I think that for anyone who likes the look and habit of 'Belle Portugaise', but would like a more vibrant pink blend, this could be a lovely option. This is clearly going to be a warm climate rose only, though.

  • 7 years ago

    A couple more photos that give an idea of its habit:








  • 7 years ago

    Oh my! What a beauty!!

    User thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much, Paul! (I love BP, and we‘re warm enough here.)

    What a lovely shape it has! And fascinating history. You certainly have the magic touch! :-)

    User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful rose!

    User thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 7 years ago
    Paul, what a beautiful bush shot pic. It is like they all are nodding perfectly. I love the colour and the form. Sooo beautiful. All your pics are superb :)
    jin
    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    The blooms remind me of (upside down) double tulips. It's a rather different and interesting rose.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Very beautiful and graceful. Is that 'Golden Century' that we see surrounding it?


    Paul, do you ever get the itch to do such crosses again?


    User thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • 7 years ago

    Chris, that is indeed Golden Century it is growing up through! Well spotted.


    Nah, I have no desire to get on that train again. I don’t have the resources I used to, nor the willpower it takes. After 12+ years of raising up to 2500 seedlings a year, I was truly worn out by the intensity of the work, and I knew I’d come to the end of that road. I don’t have the personality to pursue one thing for forty years or more. I have other things I want to do!


    Jin,

    thank you for that. I’m glad you’re enjoying the rose and the photos.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh that is stunning and your description was beautifully written. I really love that it doesn't open more than it does. The name is just perfect. Thank you for sharing with us.


    User thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago

    I too find your rose stunning, Paul. I bet I could squeeze one in. It is unbelievably gorgeous.

    User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    It’s lovely, Paul. What an unusual hybrid you’ve created. The color, and its pink, sleepy eyed nodding blooms are charming. Lisa

    User thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    This is another fabulous Barden creation and we look forward to seeing it preserved even if you don't wish to re-enter the world of marketing your roses. I regret that it's a warm weather only rose since I'd love to try it myself. Thanks for sharing the terrific photos.

    Cynthia

    User thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 7 years ago

    Belle Portugaise, eat your heart out! Carol

    User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Really, really pretty!

    User thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9