Software
Houzz Logo Print
rohan25

EXTERIOR BEFORE AND AFTER - SUGGESTIONS?

7 years ago

Hi,

This is the picture of the before:


https://ibb.co/nmppGXN


This is the picture of the proposed after


https://ibb.co/T4fnwF6


The colors we have picked are as follows.

Roof - Charcoal

Soffit - White

Frize board - White

Gutters - Black

Downspout - White

Metal Roof - Black

Lap Siding - Artic White

Panel Siding - Artic White

Lower Panel around windows and front door - Shou Sugi Ban

Siding Trim - Azek White

Window Trim - White or Shou Sugi Ban (Charcoal Gray)

Front Door - Mahogany Stain

Posts and Under roof of Portico - Mahogany Stain.

What do you folks think about the color choices.


Thanks







Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks for your comment. We are trying to achieve a modern look with a mix of panel and lap siding. Also the "black eyes" that you refer to are also an attempt at modernizing the look rather than a farmhouse style.


    We took some elements from the house below.







    Progress Update:



  • 7 years ago

    Looking good so far.


    I still wouldn't do all the black around the left windows. I know it's an attempt to make the look more modern, but I think you'll be much more successful at achieving that if you stick to clean lines and simplicity (e.g. sticking to the lap siding throughout). Adding additional visual features because said visual features look modern just adds to the sense of busyness, which is antithetical to many strains of modernism.


    I think your mahogany portico is going to be the thing to drive home your modern look. Spend time perfecting the proportions and finding/making the perfect door.


    Wysiwyg thanked queenvictorian
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Feeble attempt at simplifying the design.



  • 7 years ago

    I dig it. Taking away all the black around the lower left windows lightens it up so much.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So you post 12 hrs ago for ideas and an hour later you post a progress picture. Interesting.


    You had a very cute house with (shockingly) functional-appearing shutters, and when I saw the “before,“ I thought “Oh, just a small color change and beefier posts and they’ll be golden.” Then I saw the “after” rendition and was sorry to see the changes. It‘s not a modern house, but if a different look was wanted, it could have gone in a better direction more suited to the style of the home.

  • 7 years ago

    Skinny siding, new portico, windows with a bay the same length as the two on the left, and a heavy dose of new landscaping is what I would have done. I think black windows are going to be a dated element in no time.

  • 7 years ago
    I really like the "before". Much more character and charm than the "after", IMO. However, different strokes for different folks.
  • 7 years ago

    @Anna we only bought the house because of location and lack of other options no new development in the neighborhood all houses from the 19th century to mid 20th. hated the exterior from the outset. Kids used to hate coming home And wouldn’t even call their friends Over. Like Elaine said different strokes for different folks. What you found cute we Absolutely hated. This house was from 1960.

  • 7 years ago

    @decoenthuiast. Skinny siding check. New portico check. Unfortunately cant do same length windows on the right due to kitchen countertop right behind them. New landscaping coming soon. Black windows absolutely love them dated or not

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Well, if the kitchen is there, is certainly isn't a traditional layout for the look of the house. I would have thought the small window on the right was a kitchen window, but never the bay. Are you attached to it's appearance? Maybe some of the Houzz geniuses can photoshop in some different styles for you that are less traditional.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio