Software
Houzz Logo Print
bayn3554

Need help with ideas for modernizing!

7 years ago
We found a house under budget in the neighbourhood of choice. However, not completely in love with the house itself. Because it was under budget we have room for improvements!

Interior - my wife really doesn’t like the small boxed in kitchen, all of the wood, or the laminate floor. Ideas on how to improve this area? I’m looking for ideas to make the fireplaces pop! One is in the main living area the other the main bedroom.

Exterior - not sure what we want to do. Paint... but what colour? What else would add more curb appeal?

*More photos in comments.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

  • 7 years ago
    More views from the interior
  • 7 years ago

    What an adorable salt box. I love the wood!

    I would listen to April and her comments. She's right on the money.

    Can you post a full floor floor plan so we can see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the spaces?

    For the exterior, my first thought was to paint the siding a navy blue and then all you'd need is landscaping.

  • 7 years ago

    Are these listing pictures or yours?

  • 7 years ago

    For the kitchen I would start by getting a counter depth or even integrated/built-in refrigerator to help open up the feel of the space without major structural changes. I'd also probably take out the "eat-in" counter, as the actual dining space is just a few steps farther away. You could also look at some cosmetic upgrades like replacing the counters, going to an undermount sink, and putting in a backsplash. Opening it up to the living space would certainly be the most costly option, and I think there are other things you can do to help it feel more comfortable for your wife.

    As for floors, personally I am not a fan of stone/tile throughout, as I find it hard on the feet. I'd look at wood, perhaps in a dark tone that coordinates with the darker knots in the ceiling wood? I think something with less visible movement would help tone the wood look down without going to a harder surface.

  • 7 years ago
    This is what we ended up doing with a 60 year old house that we bought which was in serious need of modernizing. Might give you some ideas on modernizing your house.

    Fireplace - ripped the old one built it out with 2x4s. Used Dekton for the fireplace surround and porcelanosa tiles in metal bronze finish for the rest of the surround.

    We replicated that across the room (open concept) for the bar area (which used to be a laundry room).

    We had tile in the kitchen and different types of wood on the living level. We used one uniform hardwood with Jacobean stain across the entire living level.

    In the kitchen we used neutral colors with silestone countertops, white cabinets and black hardware.