Software
Houzz Logo Print
titian1

A Question for Ingrid

Hi Ingrid, I know you've said previously that Wild Edric is almost all rugosa. I just want to be sure as the rugosas in my garden haven't been infected with canker, despite growing through one of the worst infected - G Nabonnand, the rose that brought the disease, which I am now removing. Big job!


Does it have thorny stems? and very rugose leaves? In the photos, the leaves don't look as rugose as my Scabrosas and Blanc Double de Coubert.


The only place I can get it from is a nursery in Sweden, who say they ship to Australia, so presumably they have clearance with Customs. (Don't know how that works.) So it's going to cost quite a bit to get it, which is why I want to be fairly sure it will survive. It gets such a good rap, I'm keen to give it a go.


Thanks, Trish.

Comments (29)

  • 7 years ago

    Trish, it's unfortunate that Austin doesn't give any information other than seedling x seedling for this rose, but I took quite a few pictures (which you can enlarge) and you can compare them to your two rugosas. In the last picture I'm holding a leaf of Duchesse de Brabant as a comparison to Wild Edric's leaves. The leaves are not as rugose, I don't think, as a full rugosa, so it's something to consider. If you wanted to be safe I suppose Roseraie de'l Hay would be a fairly similar and also very fragrant rose.










    titian1 10b Sydney thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Ingrid. Your pictures are very helpful. In true Houzz style, your reply didn't show up for many hours after you posted.

    The leaves certainly aren't as rugose as my others. I have no idea if that part of the genetics means anything re resistance to canker, but I'm supposing the more rugosa like the a plant is, the better chance it will have. The pity of it is, that I had 2 rugosas removed a few months back to make more room for G Nabonnand, only to find recently that many more of its canes are dead or dying than I'd thought. Anna Olivier went backwards almost overnight.

    I have written to the Swedish company, but haven't had a reply yet. If it's exorbitant I won't order it. though they do have some nice dahlias too (Orfeo, Café au Lait and others), that I've read about on this forum, that don't appear to be available here.

    I had Roseraie de l'Hay years ago in this garden, but it didn't do well. It was on the edge of a terrace though, in a hot and dry spot. HMF list it as only suitable for up to zone 7b, which surprised me. Whereas Parfum de l'Hay they list as suitable from zone 2 upwards.

    I need to redo my 'Tea Circle', and after months of wondering what on earth I will replace the Teas with (camellias, mixed perennials...) have decided on rugosas. Can't give up on roses altogether! Another rugosa I'd really like (Ann Endt) is only available from the nursery itself, which is in Victoria, and a good 12 hour drive from here. Hmmm.....

    Anyway, thanks again for your very helpful reply. And it's so good to see your garden flourishing again after all the setbacks you've had.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Rosarie de l'Hay does great here, Trish. We are very hot during summer here. I wish I could get Wild Edric too. Wasagaming is great here too.



    titian1 10b Sydney thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, those are lovely photos. What magnificent shrubs! I do love the colour of RdlH in particular. I'd never heard of Wasagaming, and just looked it up on HMF, but it's not available here.

    The other ones I'm considering are another Blanc Double de Coubert (so annoying that I had it dug out!), Fru Dagmar Hastrup, Belle Poitivine, Freycinet and Rugspin. I need around five shrubs, including two that will tolerate shade, and BDdC and BP will. Also Ann Endt - but that drive!

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, thanks for 'butting in'. All are welcome! That's interesting. I'm coming to the conclusion that Wild Edric may not be suitable. I have only four roses left that show no sign of this horrible canker, and it's been very disheartening. I don't have the heart to plant more doubtful roses - or the time left!

    I had Mrs Doreen Pike at one stage (horrifying to realise how many roses have come and gone), but I wasn't that fond of the flower shape.

    I put Ingrid's name in the title as I had seen her mention Wild Edric favourably several times, and it doesn't seem to be widely grown. I've since discovered Tessiess grows it too, and read somewhere in an old post that she considers it one of the best roses in her garden, and I think she mentioned that the colour is glowing too. It's clearly a lovely rose, but probably not for me.

  • 7 years ago

    I just had a reply from the Swedish company. They don't ship here, though HMF says they do, so that puts paid to Wild Edric….

  • 7 years ago

    I've had people here complain to me that when they order this rose from Austins, they get sent a grafted bare root with just a single cane... usually you get at least 3 canes on a graft, usually 4 or 5... they said it's typical for this rose... as people have complained about it...

    ...perhaps this is why it's no longer offered in the U.S.?..

    ...so just as well they won't be sending you one Trish, because you might only have got a one cane wonder...

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I'll take a one cane wonder. I've been sent similar sizes and they take off. They could put a note on a rose like this, that they will be small at shipping so people don't worry.

    I ordered a Ocotilla that sat there from 3/9/19 to now and it is finally doing something. I planted a Plume Poppy root 4/2/19 and I still don't see anything. I read they are slow to start. I can't blame the companies for these tricky plants being slow or small.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, I really appreciate your info about Wild Edric's origins. It doesn't sound like a good rose for Trish, unfortunately. I'm so very sorry that you've had such bad luck with your roses, Trish. I do hope that your rugosas stay free of the canker. I also had Mrs. Doreen Pike at one point and it didn't float my boat either. Schneezwerg is a smaller rugosa that I've seen in several places which I thought was very nice. Freycinet is new to me, very pretty and apparently Australian in origin. Fru Dagmar Hastrup is very much admired but for some reason it's never appealed to me. It's a good thing that there's a rugosa for every taste. I actually believe it might have been Tessie whose advice I took about Wild Edric and I'm glad I did.

    Sheila, your roses are just incredible, and get bigger and better every year. These here are outstanding. Is the rose behind Roseraie de'l Hay also a rugosa? So beautiful.....

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, I'm now reconsidering Fru Dagmar Hastrup. I've never seen it 'in the flesh', and I have repeatedly found that we have the same likes and dislikes. I'll have a look at Schneezwerg. Thanks for that.

    Yes, aren't Sheila's roses something... Come on Sheila, more photos please!

  • 7 years ago

    I think you are seeing DA Heritage behind R d l Hay, Ingrid. Fru Dagmar is a delicate beauty, but is so pale it would be best seen close up and doesn't make much of a garden statement, I'm afraid. Trish you are very kind about my photos.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Trish, can you get PM's thru this forum or can I send you an email

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • 7 years ago

    Hi David, I've messaged you, so hopefully you'll be able to message me back.

  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, I hear about Heritage as being as a rose that shatters quickly and is not great in the heat, but if that's Heritage it's very impressive. Wasagaming is a really cool rose too. It's interesting how big and wonderful your rugosas and its hybrids are in an area with hot summers.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    MSG sent back Trish

  • 7 years ago

    Hi again Trish, do all of the roses have "canker" or only some ? I am reading your post in bits so I understand all of it separately. Also were the roses bought from the same place. The next part is, have you looked at the causes of "canker" and how it is "acquired". If you haven't I shall pass on some links about it.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • 7 years ago

    David, of 30 or so roses that I had, only four are not yet showing signs of canker. I think the disease came from a rose I bought 4 or 5 years ago. I noticed purple spotting on it a few months after I'd planted it, but did not realise what the cause was.

    It was about a year before I realised what the problem was, and since then have disinfected the secateurs between roses - and even when dealing with the same rose. I did try spraying with a systemic type solution (Phyton - which I imported from the US). It certainly got rid of any blackspot etc., but in the long term, the canker persisted. Also, I had no butterflies the year after spraying, though I had built up quite a population of them previously, so I decided against using it the following year.

    The following year I bought some more roses from the same nursery. They were of poor quality (unlike the very good roses I had received from that nursery in previous years) and had dieback, which when I cut it back, I realised went right down into the graft.

  • 7 years ago

    Trish, that is so very sad. To have your rose garden dream crushed because a nursery sold you an infected plant is truly frustrating. I had a problem with canker years ago and destroyed quite a few infected plants, La France being the one I most regretted, but at least the problem has not persisted. That's not to say that my roses are healthy because if I look at many of the canes closely there is "stuff" going on, but at this point I don't have the wherewithal to deal with any of it. The roses sink or swim as they will.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Trish, I am so sorry to hear of your canker struggles. You have all my empathy! In my garden, there's an (fortunately) isolated bed with similar issues but a different infection. It's quarantined down to the tools I use as I dig out and replace soil, tend what's left and continually plant and replant (hopefully) more resistant candidates. Two ceanothuses, two lilacs, a butterfly bush and a rose have all croaked in that space, not necessarily in that order. Like you, I think I can identify the original carrier. Sigh. I wish we could vaccinate our treasures!

    For the record, Fru Dagmar and Blanc Double de Courbet are two of my favorite Rugosas here in Portland and where I've spotted them at the Oregon coast. I've grown both and enjoyed them immensely. Our climates are different, of course.... Right now, I only grow BDdC and Basye's Purple due to my limited space. I wish you could acquire/grow that last one. It's a stunner! But BDdC is a wonderfully satisfying true white in the vein of R alba Semi Plena, and its fragrance is strong and outstanding in quality--delicious old rose/clove/cinnamon/vanilla to my nose. The blooms continue here and there throughout the season, and it has a big spring flush and what I might call a mini fall flush. The blooms are not full but classically double and can appear fuller than their petal count due to the fact that they "ruffle." Carol

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Carol, I saw you posting again on other threads, and was considering starting a post "Hurrah - portlandmysteryrose" is back!!!" There have been so many people missing you on this forum.

    The very annoying thing I had done was to have a Scabrosa and a Blanc Double de Coubert dug out, as they were crowding out my very infected G Nabonnand. I didn't realise GN had so many dead canes till after they were gone. I wasn't able to get to BDdC to smell it! Also, my sense of smell is not what it was. I asked the gardener to replant them down the bottom of the block, but they didn't survive. I am allowing myself the luxury of a gardener for half a day, once a month. It is wonderful!

    Basye's Purple looks rather like Ann Endt - the one I really want, but would have to make a two day trip for.

    Sorry to hear about your infected bed. It must be quite an infection to kill a butterfly bush. I am almost resigned to mine. I have been in a slump for months about it, but now feel 'onwards and upwards'. Unfortunately I caught a cold the other day, and don't have the energy to get out there, but it's good to have the will.

  • 7 years ago

    I forgot to add, that I have ordered Roseraie de l'Hay (I hope mine grows to look half as good as yours, Sheila), BDdC, Belle Poitevine, and Rugspin. I am yet to get hold of Freycinet. Basye's Purple is not available here.

  • 7 years ago

    Morning Trish, who was the nursery that sold the weak plants, if it was Misty, they have just started up again with a new owner and very limited stock, It might be only wholesale.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • 7 years ago

    Just had a look who has Freycinet, Trish, Roses and Friends and Treloars.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you so much, Trish! I have sorely missed you and everyone on the forum. Only major life events could keep me away!

    Butterfly bush death: I know. Really?! Nothing kills a butterfly bush!

    I'm so glad you have selected your new Rugosas. Congratulations! As you said, onward and upward!! One can't go wrong with RdlHay. Sheila grows it beautifully, of course, so her photo is a great example of what RdlH can do. The color and fragrance are rich and sublime. Belle Poitevine is such a classic, and her repeat is very good in my climate. I am a big fan of older Rugosas as I feel they really look like antique roses. I think if I were to grow another pink Rugosa, I would probably choose BP. Your story about digging out and then finding yourself in circumstances where you needed to repurchase BDdC sounds so like the Murphy's Laws that play out in my life! I can't count the number of do-overs I've had to take over the years.

    I celebrate the hiring of your gardener! In my perfect world, we'd ALL have a little extra assistance with the digging and the onslaught of irrepressible maintenance chores. I hope your cold passes mildly and quickly! Carol

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    David, thank you. I did ring Roses and Friends yesterday, but haven't heard back, and unfortunately, Treloar's have sold out of Freycinet. It was Mistydowns. I hear the previous owner died from breast cancer a couple of years ago.

    Carol, I'm glad to hear you like BP. As for the cold, I've been doing the old fashioned remedy of a basin of steaming water with a few drops of eucalyptus oil and a towel over my head. The effect is instantaneous!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Ingrid, Heritage is great here. It consistently puts out great blooms and is self cleaning. It looks better than my Duchesse de Brabant so far. I think it is own root from Heirloom. I also have a baby Martin Frobisher from High Country Roses. This is a great rugosa. I hope it likes it here. I am a bit surprised the rugosas are so happy here too. It does seem to be they are thought of more in the cold climates. Their foliage adds such a nice green lushness to the garden.


    Heritage with Pink Surprise to the right, not blooming yet.
    I just ran out now at 8:30 pm and took these photos. Heritage is so reliable I forget to take photos.

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, your roses are unsurpassed. You are creating a magical garden.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much, Trish. Roses are magical!

    titian1 10b Sydney thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR