Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Can you help me decide?

7 years ago

Looking at a prominent spot in my garden yesterday, I realized that my obessesion with mauve roses has gotten out of hand a bit. Excellenz Von Schubert,Joasine Hanet and this beautiful noisette that I got from Ducher called "Cornelie" (but it is NOT Belle Vichyssoise,which I also have; it's a smaller plant, with larger,darkish lilac-pink flowers) seen together are all too similar in colour, and create a gloomy effect. Worse yet, they are backed by Purple Skyliner.I think I'd better move PS; I need something to contrast. Two obvious candidates come to mind: Morning Blush and Clbg. Paul Lede. I'd really like to have this latter rose in this spot, I think, but I'm perplexed. I have one in a pot; it was planted out in the garden in bad circumstances, grew backwards; I dug it up about 2 years ago, but it still hasn't taken off; it's got only one cane,though it wants to flower. I pulled it out to change the soil; the plant has a woody knob at the graft. I'm not sure if it is perhaps trying to go own root; I made sure to replant it deeper that it had been,removed the buds, and am thinking now to try to boost it along with fertilizing, etc. (I am lousy at cultivating in pots,always forget to fertilize regularly,and in any case have way too many in my pot ghetto to be able to keep track of a fertilizing schedule).

But I have another Clbg Paul Lede. This one , after languishing for years, has finally taken off,but it's in a spot where I can't get to it easily, so the flowers tend to be martyrized by the beetles. Plus, I'm afraid that it will end up being bullied by the Laguna planted nearby,and above all, Louis Mon Ami,which in my garden is a giant house.eater-sized rose, instead of the modest 3-4 meter climber that Lens Roses calls it (" use it like a clematis", they wrote "with other roses" HA!) So I was thinking that perhaps I should try moving this. It does worry me a bit; this plant is well-established, has been there many years. I have moved big roses before, but that was in my younger days. I would hate to lose the plant, but on the other hand, I can't really appreciate it where it is, and it really IS kind of too squeezed in there between those more vigorous neighbours. Besides, if the move proved to be successful, it could wind up putting on a good show more quickly than a younger plant would.

Morning Blush is new this year, growing happily in it's pot, this is another option. A potted rose would be easier to use as a replacement for the moved PS,since it would require a lot less new native soil than a huge, bare-root plant,but Clbg PL does tempt me...What do you think? What would you do?

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    I’ve been pairing my lavender roses with blush and and apricot/yellow. My excellenz von schubert is between desdemona and crepescule, with some mini yellows thrown in. I’m also planning on adding eden to the mix at some point. They aren’t grown up yet, so I don’t know the end effect, but its what I’m doing :) Quicksilver has apricot minis on each side, and poseidon is next to madame anisette

    User thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Bart,

    I like your idea of moving Paul Lede -- BUT -- and this is a big but -- I worry that your weather will turn soon and the physical struggle of moving such a large, established rose might not be worth it if it ends up struggling in its new home. Of course neither of us can predict whether or not this rose will thrive in its new location, but I worry about it trying to establish itself during the dry hot summers you have had recently. If the forecast is for continued rain and cooler temperatures, and if you can find a helper to help you transfer a large rose, then I'd go for it. But if the weather is looking like it is going to get hot you might want to wait and try to transplant it in the fall. The one in the pot with the woody growth -- is it for sure not suffering from canker? If so, that could explain its struggle.

    Could you possibly get hold of another plant of Paul Lede, which would be easier than transplanting your very large one and probably also more successful than trying to nurse the struggling specimen back to health.

    User thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    P.S. I'd hate to see your Paul Lede, which seems like it is getting well established in the place you put it, suffer a set back. Even if it isn't in the best spot, if it seems happy it might be best to propagate another, or get another plant of it?

    User thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you both, Amanda and KS. I was in any case going to wait until Fall to do the move; I've learned from experience not to ever try to plant things out in the spring. Besides, roses accept being moved so much better when they are dormant or quasi. I'm pretty sure the potted one does not have canker; it's just the graft, with lots of canes that died off which had to be removed. This happened because at first it was growing out in the garden,but wasn't well cared for,and I had already moved it once,plus it was planted out when we still lived in the old house, where I couldn't grow a new rose up in a pot for a year before planting it out. So canes died off, and now only one is left. I didn't de-bud it last year, either. If it IS trying to grow own-root, that would help explain the lack of top growth.

    At this point, I'm thinking that perhaps I'll try coddling the potted one over the summer,see if it responds,and take cuttings from the large plant. I may then, in autumn, go ahead and move it,though if the potted one looks like it is bucking up, I might find a spot for the large plant that won't require soil change. I seriously want to stop buying so many roses; I need to save my money for adding companion plants.

  • 7 years ago

    Bart, if the plant is well established and for a long time....I would leave it there. Sounds it is happy. I agree with Amanda and KS.

    Comtessa, I am just like you. It is hard to visualize. Sometimes it is hard for me too but I prefer pics.

    jin

    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    I vote to add yellows to show off the purples. I have Excellenz von Schubert and adore his perfect little cup shaped mauve blooms. What about Ghislaine de Féligonde. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2947. Also I have Golden Celebration and love it! It is a very rich yet soft golden yellow with apricot highlights and smells divine. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1834

    User thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Comtesse, I do indeed welcome comments on this! And I'm sorry about the no photos; My telephone is an old one ,and doesn't take pictures. We have an old camera, but sometimes the computer refuses to "read" it's little electronic thingie,and it doesn't work very well. On top of that, I am very, very incompetent with all things electronical,and am totally daunted by the idea of trying to post photos-even if I could get them into a file on the computer!

    I gather I didn't make myself very clear about the older Paul Lede. I don't think it's particularly happy; the beetles tend to attack flowers of plants that are stressed much more aggressively than they attack a happy plant,and it's neighbours are all more aggressive and robust than Clbg Paul. I do think I will probably move it ,but not to replace the Purple Skyliner-that would be too difficult to manage. I definitely want something that's in a pot. Other candidates are coming to mind: Clbg Gruss an Aachen might be evn better than Paul. Or perhaps Henri Barruet?https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.18278&tab=36 https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4682.3&tab=36 https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.1758&tab=36 https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.3512.2&tab=36 https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.16784&tab=36

    Aristide Briand could work as well, but it blooms kind of late...

  • 7 years ago

    I think the combination of purple roses and peach would look wonderful together, and magenta and blue companion plants would really set off those colors. Gruss an Aachen would also look nice there. If Purple Skyliner is too large and established to easily dig up, you could also consider moving a few of your shrubs from in front of it and replacing them with roses that are peachy/pale rather than changing out the large rose behind them.

    User thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    What about a Mutabilis rose? I’m not a rose expert like others on this thread but I had a Mutabilis rose at my former house and loved the variety of colors on this shrub.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/4PTrgckVg6TLMDsR9

    User thanked burdette1020
  • 7 years ago

    Bart it sounds so lovely! I think your idea to take cuttings sounds safer than moving. And I love purple with apricot, and pale yellow, with gray leafed companions. I’d think there are lots of natives for your area with gray/silver leaves that would be so pretty? :-)

    User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    This is great-you folks are really helping me get the wheels turning in my brain. Now, let's see...one of the problems is that i have new plants of Minerva,Morning Blush, Blue for You,and Edith (a Karin Schade rose that looks rather like one of it's parents, Blue for You) and I LOVE the way they look together!!! Edith and BfY both have those pale shades mixed in with the violet colour,so they kind of balance themselves out,and the precise colour of Minerva is just perfect,as is that of MB,which has so many nuances of colour. So I'd like to do a group of these in a prominent place in my garden, and the problem area I just described is prominent. I do want to move Purple Skyliner; there are two in this area, plus Rosengarten Zweibrucken (I TOLD you that my Mauve Madness has gotten out of hand, LOL!) ,and these all are later bloomers as well, so it really would be nice to throw in stuff that opens earlier in the season,and the four new beauties all have opened already, in spite of the fact that they are new plants.Actually, moving established roses doesn't intimidate me that much,the thing that's really a b###h is digging up new native soil and dragging it down into the spots that need it. Paul Lede DOES intimidate me a bit; it's been there so long,but I really hate to see it valiantly trying to grow finally,knowing that in the end it will probably be vanquished by it's neighbours ; it just is not as vigorous as they are. I wouldn't be replacing it with anything either; that area is just too crowded.

    I'm thinking Gruss an Aachen might be the best bet; I love Henri Barruet, but it's colours can be pretty intense at times, and i need something that will be pale even in rainy, cool weather (like we are having this year, for example) Besides, unlike Henri and Paul, GaA supposedly blooms in flushes.

    I'm also musing on KS's idea-of moving the smaller roses. I could definitely take out Country Girl-like Henri,this can take on an over-all "darkish" aspect, according to the weather. I have another ExVS in that area, but do so love the way it covers itself in blooms,and I have to try to avoid falling into the trap of capricious gardening. I guess what I really need for this spot is contrast in tones-a really dark rose and a pale one,to balance out EXVS's mid-tone colour...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Bart, something that might be useful to think about is layering. If there is a larger rose that you are considering moving in the fall, it could be worth burying a few strands and staking them to see if they strike. If they do, you'll have back-up starts with no bother except a little water in summer to help them root.

    It's fascinating following all the design suggestions. Your garden sounds like it contains my favorite colors! I love mauves, lavenders and purples all jumbled together, but it's nice when the colors vary in intensity and shade: deep purple or plum-mauve paired with lavender. I get goose pimples and happy chills when I see blush and pale pink roses mingling with purples . I also enjoy the inverse, dark pink to deep blue-red roses mingling with lavender ones. As others suggested above, I find that apricot to golden buff makes for a nice contrast. Warm but not too warm, if you know what I mean. A serene kind of warm. Ghislaine de Féligonde, Perle d'Or, Buff Beauty, etc. You mentioned Gruss an Achen. That one is a lovely combination of pearly blush pink and a bit of apricot. And then there's white. White goes with everything, lavender to purple! Carol

    User thanked portlandmysteryrose