Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

For vesfl: 'De la Maitre-Ecole'

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I thought I'd post a couple of pics of "one of the smallest Gallicas". This plant is about fifteen years old, was a grafted plant that has long since gotten off its rootstock, and this year has been enjoying a long, rainy spring that has caused it produce particularly full, double blooms, though they're always large in diameter. It gets some mildew, but who cares: it's a great rose.



I'm standing to the side of the rose, which for some reason makes it look larger than it actually is: currently it's about 5'-5 1/2' tall, and about 5'-6' wide. The blooms are truly glorious, gathering lavender and purple tints as they age, and, no mean virtue, losing their petals while the bloom is at the height of its beauty. Fragrant of course. Suckers, but isn't horrible about it. Somewhat larger and stouter in growth than many Gallicas.



Here's a beauty shot of the blooms. And thank you to DD, who took the photos on her phone.

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago

    I love how over-the-top Gallicas can be. It is as though the rose is saying, "I know I can fit a few more petals in here somewhere..." Fabulous.

  • 7 years ago

    Gorgeous, Melissa. Thank you so much. We love your garden and photos are so welcome.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Melissa, THANK YOU. OMG, the blooms are indeed glorious. And thank you so much for posing (with that lovely kitty!) to have a sense of the shrub size. Not just the shrub but the blooms are enormous. Such a beautiful view and it's also nice to put a face to one of the most generous forum members.

    Meanwhile, I found where I read about it's 3-4 feet size, - no other but Graham Thomas in his book "The Old Shrub Roses"! He does say that it has "exceptionally large blooms, up to 5 inches across," which is abundantly clear in their full glory in your photos. I also read in one of his articles that it was probably his favorite rose. I can now see why. I'm so glad that Palatine carries such a beauty.

    ETA: I've just now seen our comtessedelacouche's question about its name. This is what Graham Thomas writes in his book: "Although there is a French village called La Maître École, where Messrs Pajotin-Chédane used to grow a wonderful collection of the older roses, I like to think of this as the schoolmaster's favourite. Messrs Pajotin disclaim any connection with this rose." Unless there was some later discovery, it sounds there is still a mystery about its name.

  • 7 years ago

    Melissa,vhat a beautiful pic ! Your rose looks beautiful. I love the greenery around you and it looks so luscious. Oh, I am dying to see more and this is a surprise with pics. You should paste more pics :)
    plsssssßsssssssssssssssss !!
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    When I opened this thread I didn't expect pictures, and certainly not these of a truly spectacular rose. Even better, there you are with a furry friend. I'm bowled over by this rose, which seems to embody all the wonderful qualities I imagine when the word "rose" enters my mind. Thank you, Melissa, for this wonderful treat.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm glad everybody's enjoying the pics. Vesfl, I have Thomas's book on old roses, and it may be his description that caused me to plant 'De la Maitre-Ecole' in too small a spot, at least for my pruning practices. My rose has flopped somewhat in the rain and under the weight of the open blooms. It might be possible to keep it to four feet.

    So far this season I'm not seeing much of the purple-lavender shades I know this rose can develop; I don't know if that's due to the gray, wet weather that's characterized this month.

    Comtesse, as it happens I did post some pictures of the garden in a thread back in April; here it is: www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5668664/garden-photos-april-2019#n=14.  The garden is large, not completely planted, and the planted parts are still immature, so it's hard, I think, to form an idea of it as a whole. I know what my plans are, but much of what I see is still in my head. Give me twenty years or so, and wish me luck.

    The cat is one of the four we adopted last fall/winter: this one was abandoned sick at our place, but is now doing reasonably well, though she has some permanent damage from her illness. She came with me and DD when we went out for the rose photographs, and I took her in my arms because I knew she'd make me smile. Definitely OT, but it's on my mind, another of the young cats turned up sick yesterday evening and has to go to the vet this morning, taken by me and my ever-lightening wallet. This cat is semi-hairless, result of a mutation, and has shown himself to be highly susceptible to cystitis, in spite of special diet and suppliments.

  • 7 years ago

    How wonderful to see pictures, Melissa! And that is one gorgeous rose—I’m in love with that luscious color! (Sending best wishes for your kitty.) Thank you so much for posting! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Such a beautiful rose Melissa. Thank you for sharing.

  • 7 years ago

    What a beautiful rose and one I haven't heard of before. I love your kitty too! Definitely post more pics :)

  • 7 years ago

    Carol, oh, I agree with your husband, and appreciate his input. Said cat is kind of a worry. It doesn't help that it has been gray and rainy here for days, nor that on his account I hung around a rainy Piacenza all day yesterday. I'll likely get more optimistic when the sun finally appears, a treat forecast to arrive in the next day or two.

    Thanks to all for the friendly comments.

0