Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_929476049

Who am I?

7 years ago

Does anyone know the identity of this rose? It was growing in my grandmother’s backyard (4 or 5 specimens of the same rose). It caught my eye because of how clean it was. All her other roses were suffering from powdery mildew. The new growth is apple green and the leaves are matte. Fringed stipules. Completely smooth without any prickles that I can find. Thin, pliable canes. I dug out the smallest rose but because I didn’t take enough of the root system I have it soaking. I’ll probably need to cut It back. I‘d like to know what it is so that I know where to plant it. Ideas?






Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    Does it have any thorns? I did not see any. Please post pics of thorns, if any, hips, if you can find any from last year, and of course buds and blooms when it gets around to blooming. Others on here who know more will probably be able to tell you what type of rose it is, but the exact name will be impossible w/o pics of the buds and blooms.

    Jackie

    weekend gardener thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    Sorry I just realized you already said it did not have any thorns. That should help narrow down the options!

    weekend gardener thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    No thorns at all, and unfortunately no blooms or buds either. The canes are so thin and pliable I’m wondering if it might be a climber? Right now it just looks like a graceful arching shrub.

  • 7 years ago

    It does look like a leaner at least with those long canes. Plant it where there is room for it. You may get bloom next year if it gets sun and gets going.

    weekend gardener thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    As far as I know, your fringed stipules mean R. multiflora hybrid. But which one? Veilchenblau is thornless. I have a small plant in a 1 gallon pot in my "nursery." I could send some foliage photos later if that helps at all. Carol

    weekend gardener thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    If the blooms are single, white-to-pale-pink, small (under 1") and pleasantly fragrant, then its Rosa multiflora, commonly used as a rootstock. It can easily turn into a massive weed if allowed to grow unrestrained, so careful what you do with it.

    I planted three seedlings on a fence 14 years ago, and today they plants have merged into one massive wall of multiflora - 15 feet across and at least 10 feet high.

    weekend gardener thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I’d be happy for it to be an R. multiflora. I’m really starting to like the single-petaled species roses. They have such a sweet charm about them. Paul, your wall sounds lovely! However, I’m certain that I don’t have adequate space for it to grow unchecked. If I keep it in a large container, would it happy enough to bloom? Carol, I would love to see your Veilchenblau photos to compare if you don’t mind.

  • 7 years ago

    Sigh. No hot tub here. I do hope to keep it at least a year or two, though. I really want to see it bloom.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm curious to know the answer to your question, weekend gardener. I have large plants that looks like your pics - matte, serrated, elongated foliage, thornless canes that look for all the world like rose canes, but never a bloom in 20+ years. I have wild roses that do bloom, and the bushes look similar to the ones that don't. There are masses of wild roses that look like yours, Paul, along the roadsides all around here. Aren't these the kind we should watch closely for RRD?

    weekend gardener thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    How interesting, flowersaremusic, that they never bloom. I've never seen the multiflora thickets like in Paul's photo in my neck of the woods. I've seen what I think might be Mermaid growing wild and forming thick brambles, draping over everything in their path. RRD isn't common here in the Houston area (yet?), but I still check/scrutinize all my roses for that dreaded disease. It sure looks like multiflora would make an excellent privacy fence!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Whoa puppy, Paul! Your R multiflora makes Veilchenblau look restrained.

    Weekend Gardener, I'm posting some foliage photos below. My apologies that they are so awful. My ancient iPhone just won't capture sharp images of my baby Veilchenblau's tiny leaves and stems. Hopefully, others on the forum who grow V can post pics of mature foliage and canes. To compensate, I'll post an image of fringed stipules and foliage on my Russelliana (cousin on the R multiflora side of the family). The foliage on your plant looks more straight-up R multiflora than Veilchenblau to me.

    Carol

    Baby Veilchenblau flower and foliage. Pardon its blackspot. V will grow out of it.





    Russelliana, and its fringed stipules.



    weekend gardener thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Paul, is the straight-up R multiflora thornless at times? I've only seen plants with thorns. Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Carol,

    R. multiflora is extremely variable when it comes to thorns. The three seedlings you see in that towering mass (photo above) were selected from scores of seedlings because they were very nearly thornless, and still are as adults. I planned to use the plants as a source of understock, and thornless is better!

  • 7 years ago

    Good to know. Thanks, Paul. I'll add that info on R multiflora to my brain's data storage. Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Carol, I agree that my mystery rose doesn't look like Veilchenblau. I really like the round leaves of the Russelliana. Thanks for posting the pics. The fringy stipules look very much like mine.