Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

de la Grifferaie again..

7 years ago

I can't seem to stop taking pics of my dlG this week - sorry if it is getting boring...


Jackie






Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    Don't apologize, I love your photos of this rose! I remember the ones from last year too:)

  • 7 years ago

    Boring?! Never! Be still my heart.

    I read somewhere that dLG is a possibly cross between a R multiflora variety, such a Carnea, and either a Gallica or Damask. With lineage like that, odds are it's going to be a gorgeous and fragrant rose! Maybe the Damask heritage is more accurate given the strong scent, Kim? Jackie, I never tire of your photos of this rose. It's amazing! I am a big fan of R multiflora hybrids. I wish I could grow them all! Currently, only Violette, a baby Veilchenblau and Russelliana reside in my garden. But I do also have some wonderful Polyanthas that are R multiflora descendants...like Lauren (thanks to generous forum members). I am positively enchanted by the ruffly sepals adorning cultivars like dLG and Russelliana! And, as Kim noted, the FRAGRANCE! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    It really is a strong Damask scent, Carol. If I had to guess, I would pin it on Damask. I have collected a lot of pollen from Autumn Damask and De la Grifferaie and they are VERY similar in petal texture and scent. I'm glad Lauren is doing well for you!

  • 7 years ago

    I wish it would have been willing to grow here. I do love it.


  • 7 years ago

    Kim, as it says on the IKEA website, good to know! For my nose, Damasks and their progeny rule the fragrance department. Lauren is doing well (knock wood), and, like a proud parent, I am throughly enjoying watching her grow up. Thank you and my Lauren donor so very much! Side note: I now have two of Wisconsin Roses' Annie Laurie McDowells in my driveway nursery, too. It's a regular Kim Rupert festival out there! :-) Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Lovely! Thank you! I'm delighted I could help. Now, if you REALLY want to blow your sinuses out of your head, break off some opening buds of both De la Grifferaie and ALmD, pull the petals off them and spread them out on either a sheet of paper or a large bowl and get ready to be driven from the house! Delicious!

  • 7 years ago


    Kim, my Lauren is over 7 feet tall, and spreading out sideways also. I had to cut it back a lot yesterday, as it was trying to eat a tree rose, and also had decided to block our front walk. Do you know how large it can actually get? Here is a pic of it AFTER I cut it back by at least 1/3rd. That's it behind the tree rose which it is using for a trellis. I love it - it is one of the first roses to start blooming in my garden, and keeps it up all Summer. Thanks so much for recommending it - I am used to roses growing bigger than they are "supposed" to, so I don't mind at all.

    Jackie





  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful, Jackie! Yours is the test rose! It NEVER go that large for me in Newhall nor Encino, but I've never grown it anywhere in century old, un engineered soil with a century of oak leaves and triple to quadruple the rain LA receives on the average. It LIKES your conditions! Please post that photo to its rose page on Help Me Find!

  • 7 years ago

    roseseek- go ahead and post it yourself, that is fine with me.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Jackie. I can't save it as a photo from here. It will only allow me to save it as .html which won't upload to Help Me Find. Qould you please email me the photo to my AOL account at this screen name? Thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    yes

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Jackie, the photo is on HMF.