Software
Houzz Logo Print
homedesign_consultants

mid century house exterior

just bought this fixer-upper. Any ideas for a color palette to make the outside look good? I was thinking of grey, brown and white - but that still seems dull..pls. help!

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Beautiful house I love the shape of the house
    For exterior of the house I always tell my client you can get idea from nature ,how colors match in nature,
    you have green and red brown or beige would be nice I m not sure about grey ,maybe grey on stair,
    enjoy the nature of your house .
    homedesign_consultants thanked N.O.R,LLC
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe paint the Bowen wall and what looks like a chimney a gray or a white and for the door a bright color like a orange or a light blue it depends on what kind of style is the inside, if its modern gray whites silvers and a bright color for something would match modern or contemporary if its and old style home or has like a country feel a light brown with warm colors like deep reds or oranges
    homedesign_consultants thanked mojorocks1
  • 13 years ago
    Consider colors in the beautiful stone under stair treads.....keeping the earthy modern look will be authentic to the mid century style while using natural materials that occur on existing stone......
    If this is not dramatic enough for your design goals..... Consider stone veneer on wall to left of front doors...to add texture and interest.... There are real stone options that are about three and half inches think and are applied similar to cultured stone...so less weight but very authentic.

    Good luck!
    homedesign_consultants thanked lorifromgacek
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all these comments.. I'll be posting pix of the inside, since I'd have re-do most things. I tend towards contemporary/transitional style.. and I'm replacing the front door with a tempered glass door with a side window similar to
    exterior · More Info
    I was thinking of putting stone on the side of the door too.. I've been collecting pix and pix and pixs!!! at some stage I have to stop collecting and start doing!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi....I would like to suggest Quail Ridge by Behr, it is a taupe/gray brown, and I would use it for everything including trim. The body would be eggshell, the trim semi-gloss, which will be enough of a difference. The front
    doors should be French doors (single glass) with dark metal frame and as tall as possible, no side windows. If you can center the doors that would be better. The house seems hidden by all the trees, and could use some color in the landscape, this house color will lend itself to any color in plants.
    homedesign_consultants thanked Matilda Bos Design Studio
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I second the thoughts on warm greys and possibly an orange or other bold color for the front door. It appears the foundation plantings may be overgrown and obscuring the lines of the house. Consider linear plantings of boxwood or ornamental grasses and masses of ground cover and/or prairie perennials. Good luck transforming your new home!
    homedesign_consultants thanked Ginkgo Leaf Studio
  • 13 years ago
    thanks.. yes, I know I need some landscaping.. but both my husband and myself are 'brown thumbed'.. in the first instance, I may just get rid of all the bushes.. and one of those trees is actually almost leaning on the house...
  • 13 years ago
    This is the back and side driveway..
    I'm planning on replacing the garage doors with this..
    Dellwood Drive · More Info

    but maybe I should leave the cream/white parts as is? what do u think?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Even people with "brown thumbs" can have nice landscaping if you follow the mantra, right plant, right place and choose hardy plants. :) All the more reason to hire a landscape designer from your area.
    homedesign_consultants thanked Ginkgo Leaf Studio
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think the white puts too much emphasis on the garage. I would agree that you need a lighter body color and darker window casings to bring it out, and someday a different color of roof, and possibly a contrasting lighter or darker tone to bring out the sculptural aspects of the house, such as the clerestory/dormer window face.. Something in the warm grey/taupe range might be good to go with the stone and the roof.

    Interesting--looks very contemporary from the front--perhaps from around 1970. bit the back seems more traditional.

    This would be an ideal house for an online paint color program if you can get a good clear shot==maybe after the landscaping is thinned out a bit.
    homedesign_consultants thanked victorianbungalowranch