Software
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_hutchison

Closet door curtains

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have a very small master bedroom with a reach in closet. There’s not enough room for barn doors or bifold doors, only sliding doors in the frame. My husband and I dislike the sliding doors. They are always in the way. Are curtains for doors tacky? It would be so nice spacewise, but we don’t want it to look like a dorm room. Something like these?

Home Organization Solutions · More Info


REAL SIMPLE Closet Makeover · More Info


Yes to curtains!
No, tacky!

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I would prefer curtains to having an disfunctional closet.

    Here's a couple other

    solutions for the doors taking up too much space. First, you can get 3 sliding doors for a closet, on a 3-way track. That way, at any given time, you can see into 2/3 of your closet, and can probably have a reach-in system that will be more useful.

    Next, if you have room, have doors that open out into the room, on hinges, like your bedroom doors. That's a good way to maximize space and have your closet be as organized and useful as the closets you see in the design ads.

  • 7 years ago

    What about Sliding Panels designed for windows? They require a track above the window, or in this case, your closet. And can be ordered in different density for coverage. Check Smith and Noble!

  • 7 years ago

    I took off the door to my walk in closet because the builders put it swinging inward, which was a ridiculous annoyance. I lived with nothing for a few years, then added a swagged curtain for a few years, but now I'm thinking about getting rid of the curtain again as it just doesn't look like it belongs (even after all these years). In my opinion, it depends how the curtain, the size, and the contents/arrangement looks in your entire room - I couldn't say with just the photos you've posted.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    With nice hardware/rods placed outside the closet, well-chosen drapes could create the illusion of a large window. Hardware placed inside, the right panels could create the illusion of a feature wall. Either way, unless you keep your closet organized to display your meticulously arranged clothing, shoes, and accessories, it's best to keep closet contents out of sight. Good luck.

  • 7 years ago

    My daughter used drapes on the closet in her guest room. looks great.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much! I’ll update as we move forward.

  • 7 years ago

    Have you considered pocket doors?



  • 7 years ago

    Curtains on a closet ALWAYS looks like you ran out of money. Looks cheap.

  • 7 years ago

    The ones in the first picture look more elegant and intentional than the ones in the second picture, imo. Google for ideas. You're bound to find something that appeals and works for your space.

  • 7 years ago

    There’s not enough room on either side of the closet for pocket doors or barn doors. I would love pocket doors!

  • 7 years ago

    Who's going to be viewing your bedroom besides yourself and hubby?


    I had sliding closet doors in my first house. I removed the doors and added curtains.

  • 4 years ago

    What did you end up going with? I’m trying to make the same decision for a room in my house…