Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_581710163

Is there hope???(picture below)

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My new Alfred Carriere got trampled within an inch of her life. Husband was painting and all the canes except one were snapped at the base. This was a very young plant from heirloom roses. And just started sprouting new growth, had only been in the ground about a month. Is there hope for recovery?

Comments (26)

  • 7 years ago

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, MAC is a tough gal. If you shelter her from further mishap and ensure that she has the correct amount of water, I think she will come back.

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    I think so, too. She’s a strong rose that doesn’t need any coddling. I think if you take reasonable care of her, she’ll be just fine. There’s still one good cane, and I’m sure the roots are just fine. It’s really the roots that are most important. Good luck and sad for your husband’s “little mishap”. Lisa

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    Zone 6 might make a difference. I don't know as I have never dealt with anything approaching your conditions, but being own root, and as aggressively vigorous as MAC tends to be, with any luck and protection from feet, rabbits, slugs/snails, etc., she ought to be encroaching on all of her neighbors and every space you don't want her in, in no time. Good luck and forgive your husband. He likely feels sorry enough for the accident. Plus, look at the money he saved by doing it himself!

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked roseseek
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you everyone. I have never grown roses and she was the very first one in the ground along with iceberg cL so it was just very disappointing. I put her in a place where she could eat the house if she wanted to, that is my hope anyways. And I chose her because everyone raved about tenacity and non fickleness. Thanks for the encouragement


    And roseseek, yes we saved ALOT of money painting it ourselves. He’s working hard and having to escape death on the ladder while the wasps dive bomb him, but it will all be worth it when it’s done!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Roseseek, I say “we” because I picked the color and bring water and fresh brushes ;)

  • 7 years ago

    Yes ma'am, because it IS "we". You enabled each other to accomplish the task yourselves. Neither would have succeeded without the other. That's a "we" to me!

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked roseseek
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, it will recover. What I do with tiny roses like that is to put a wire cage around them - this saves them from deer, and also from being trampled by husbands, workers, etc.

    Jackie

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Just chiming in with a positive experience. My MAC is squeezed into a narrow side yard and planted smack on a less-than-amended French drain. She is currently eating my house! She takes 2-3 years to get started even under ideal conditions. Then look out! I like Jackie's suggestion of rabbit cage protection. Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Portland mystery rose, would you be willing to share some pictures?? A house eating MAC are what my dreams are made of!

  • 7 years ago

    Sure! MAC just ended her big flush (darn it) and the baking sun is on that side of the house right now, so it may take a little while. I might have a photo or two of her flush. Checking... Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Mrs Gartin - one of my MACs is not eating our house, but it is eating our old garage. The first pic was taken by me standing on the top of the garage roof - so the growth you see is actually 12 feet higher from the ground than you can see. The entire plant did not fit in the pic - the second pic is the same bush on the same day, showing how, after eating the garage, it jumped over the fence and went up our neighbor's pine tree. Total height from the ground about 35'. We are in zone 9 in CA, and it is a tea noisette, so I have no idea how big it gets in your climate.

    Jackie


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Aw, heck. I BRAVED the heat for 5 minutes and got a couple of shots. :-)

    Below are two so-so photos of MAC after her spring flush ended. In the background is Violette still blooming. Because my MAC is planted in an awkward place, it's hard to capture her in a photo. I'm attaching two taken while standing on the side yard porch. I hope I have at least one where MAC and Violette are in full flush taken from the street. (I'll dig through my archives.) I planted MAC and Violette to be viewed from the street side of the house and to offer some privacy in my cozy, tiny-houses-on-tiny-lots neighborhood. I live in a two-story 1912 farmhouse style bungalow, and MAC easily reaches halfway above the first story by the end of summer. MAC was heavily pruned in late winter. I plan to cut her way back and construct some arches beneath her as soon as I get a skinny minute.

    Something important to note about raising MAC is to train her early. Her canes begin as pliable strands but become very stiff over time. This can be a good thing or an annoying thing. If she is trained early, her canes make a lovely, practical, self-supporting structure over time. With judicious pruning, she can be trained as a big, freestanding "tree-shrub" or she can, with extra scaffolding, make a gorgeous house eater or large pergola rose.

    Carol





  • 7 years ago

    Jaqueline and Portland rose you have made my day! Our house was built in 1913 and is a farmhouse style bungalow too! How cool we are dealing with the same architecture. Love the pictures, thank you, thank you, thank you. Looks like I’m going to have some hefty pruning to do. I’ve got windows around Where I planted and have a very particular path I’d like her to go...but I also love a challenge. We’ll see what happens! SO happy I didn’t put the New Dawn or Cecile Brunner there. I have two Cecile Brunner’s Starting to grow on either side of a large window in the front of a house. And the new dawn back in the yard by the chicken coop Where it can go wherever it wants without worry.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Jaqueline and Portland rose you have made my day! Our house was built in 1913 and is a farmhouse style bungalow too! How cool we are dealing with the same architecture. Love the pictures, thank you, thank you, thank you. Looks like I’m going to have some hefty pruning to do. I’ve got windows around Where I planted and have a very particular path I’d like her to go...but I also love a challenge. We’ll see what happens! SO happy I didn’t put the New Dawn or Cecile Brunner there. I have two Cecile Brunner’s Starting to grow on either side of a large window in the front of the house. And the new dawn back in the yard by the chicken coop Where it can go wherever it wants without worry.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Adding to my lousy photos above while looking for some really nice shots taken from the street.

    A very young MAC being trained below.



    MAC beginning to arch over the garden and waiting impatiently for me to install supports underneath. She's still waiting. Life gets in the way sometimes. We've just been pruning her back like a wall shrub-tree and shearing the neighbor's side.



  • 7 years ago

    Mac still not trained on supporting arches (that I have yet to construct) and falling over into the garden but in bloom.


  • 7 years ago

    Here is mine with no support.


  • 7 years ago

    These are all beautiful MACs! I have a baby one, too, but she’s putting out growth at an alarming rate—-we’re talking Little Shop’s Audrey-pace. Gives “vigorous” a new dimension.

    I broke my Felicia in her first year, much like your MAC. She responded by pumping out three new canes where I broke it. These OGRs are still around for a reason! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Mrs. Gartin, how fun! We have twin bungalows and twin MACs. :-)

    I'm still digging for photos of MAC shot from the street. My photo files are a mess! If I can find the images, they'll give you a better picture of what MAC looks like mingling with Violette and spilling over the side entry arch.

    You've got 3 varieties of wonderful old climbers! I grew New Dawn at my last house...a little too close to the sidewalk. It's a bit thorny, but it was lovely as long as I kept up with trims. I'd love to see photos once your husband is done with the painting and your roses are in. I suspect they're all going to grow into big, happy, gorgeous house and chicken coop eaters! If you can believe it, my MAC was once a tiny band. Carol

    Mrs Gartin z6a KC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 7 years ago

    Carol, absolutely! Once the paint is done, shutters and window boxes are up I will share Picture of all the roses I have currently growing By the house and the veggies garden.



    MAC

    New Dawn

    Awakening

    Zephirine Drouhin

    Iceberg climber

    Cecile Brunner

    Abraham Darby

    Alchymist

    Colette

    Veilchenblau


    Everything is in its first year so you will be looking at 6-12 inch canes of leaves. I did see my iceberg has one tiny bud though! Tickled pink at the hope of creating a rose haven.


    We chose “Chelsea Garden“ green as the new color. My husband loves Chelsea Football Club and of course it’s a lifelong dream of mine to see the Chelsea Garden Show. The color literally looks good with anything. I have a patch of cut flowers growing along the pathway from the garage to the back deck and it already looks so wonderful. (Sunflowers, cosmos, lupine, borage, marigold, zinnias and countless other old cottage flowers that I can’t remember. (the garage was the first thing painted)

  • 7 years ago

    That sounds heavenly! I love the way you and your DH have integrated your interests into your home and garden: roses and football! :-) I grow Veilchenblau, Abe Darby and Zephirine, too. Veil and Zeph are wonderful because they're not only gorgeous, they're thornless. Carol

  • 7 years ago

    I am most excited about Abe, I am just a sucker for the salmon and peach colors and it was the very first rose I saw that I said “I have to have that”. I’m trying to attach a picture of the garage for you but it’s not letting me, I may have to make a new post. Keep an eye out.

  • 7 years ago

    Carol, I put up a new post with the picture of the garage, FYI.