Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerriblank

Cabinet interiors - should they be maple or white melamine??

Jerri Blank
4 years ago

Whole house reno - I'm talking kitchen cabinets, dining room cabinets, living room cabinets. Should they be maple or white melamine on the inside? Please help me with pros and cons for either or each.

Thank y'all!!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

I think melamine is a more practical and cheaper solution. Melamine won't stain or scratch, and is resistant to water, so won't change its shape if it gets wet. It is also very easy to clean it, just wipe down the interior of your cabinets with disinfectant. Wood is always a great choice but is more expensive and you will need to put more effort in maintenance.

• User
    4 years ago

Maple melamine is standard with 95% of cabinet companies.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Are you talking about white melamine or real maple wood interiors or are you talking about either white melamine or maple melamine for the interiors?

• heatheron40
    4 years ago

I picked maple interiors with a white wash for boxes and white melamine for shelves. My first set were sooo dark on the inside, I opted for white, white, white!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I like melamine for kitchen cabinets I find real wood interiors and drawers get pretty yucky in kitchens it is what I always find in old houses with all wood cabinets. But in spaces where you want to have a little different interiors since there are mostly things stored that do not get dirty you could do a nice upscale look with wood to match the exterior of the cabinets.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

It depends on the cabinet line you are dealing with or if they are custom built. Many of the cabinet lines ( framed all plywood construction ) have a natural birch interior ( it would be a color match interior if there are glass doors) ... Many frameless lines do particle board boxes and those have melamine boxes.

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

I don't understand all the references to "wood" cabinets. Nobody builds cabinet boxes out of wood. The two types of material used are pre-finished plywood (mostly maple or birch) that has a UV cured clear coat done on a production finishing line or melamine impregnated paper on a partical board core. The melamine can be either wood grain or solid colors. Depends on the style and price range as to which one to use. White melamine is the less expensive material. I always use a grey either light or the darker "storm" color with a thicker than usual edgebanding like you find on European cabinets.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

Melamine is more durable and is easier to clean and care for than real wood. I would say definitely go with melamine.

• PRO
    Foshan Yubang Cabinets
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

besides maple melmaine and white melamine, there are also many other color options that could closed to the cabinet doors' color.

However, if you just wanted to make a desion between maple&white melamnine, I would suggest white melamine, because most of our customer choose white melamine.