Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Some perennial ID please

Last 2 was referred to as wildflowers. Not sure if They are native but they are naturalized in a wild setting.

Comments (85)

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Turns out it was dianthus carthusianorum. The supplier said they will send me some free dianthus superbus to me so that’s good.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

That's good news and for me too! (just in case lol)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Heruga Sanguisorba tenuifolia would have small dangling white flowers. I think yours is S. o. Here is an interesting article https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Basipetal-anthesis-in-the-inflorescence-in-Sanguisorba-officinalis-See-description-in_fig4_322117927

I grow different species and have found them to be highly promiscuous. I have had seedlings that look like S. t. but with upright red flowers.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Isn’t that a cultivar called ‘alba’? I think it’s natural flower color is pinkish red which describes the color of the one I have. S.o also shouldn’t be 6+ft and should only stay to 4 ft max according to sources. Flower itself was also longer than my other s.o.

Original Author
    4 years ago

What is this? I’m pretty sure it’s a native

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

Lythrum species.

• dbarron
    4 years ago

I don't believe it's a native Lythrum, probably one of the eurasian hybrids that are considered dangerous to wetlands. It's certainly not my native L. alatum.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok well upon my research the species might be lythrum salicaria. Looks like its an invasive in my state

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Salicaria yes, and invasive. No known eurasian hybrids here, but salicaria has hybridised with our native L. alatum.

Original Author
    4 years ago

What’s this that looks like something in the lamiaceae family? And then is this a spore seedling of an athyrium nipponicum? I had one close by until 2 years ago I gave it away so if it is I don’t know why the spores germinated now

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Heruga. Your plant is an iron weed, Vernonia, looks like Vernonia noveboracensis.. They are in Asteraceae. Very good pollinator plants. I don't know what's up with your ferns, but the more the merrier.

Heruga (7a Northern NJ) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What’s this?

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    4 years ago

Common evening-primose - Oenothera biennis.

Do you have a good wildflower field guide? You seem very knowledgable about many obscure and rare Asian plants, but unfamiliar with some common ones that are native to your area...a field guide could really come in handy for that.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh so that was also an oenothera. It looks different than the one in the pic I first posted. That one wasn't as tall and did not have woody stems. It also bloomed much earlier. A different species of this genera? Yes I study and research a lot of East Asian temperate plants since I'm most interested in those but you're right, I should be more familiar with more native plants as well. All of these pics I take are located at my workplace and we use a lot of native plants here. This is where I get some of my knowledge and experience with native plants(European plants too)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

There are lots of Oenotheras. But even the common O biennis is variable depending on growing conditions. Plants don't always conform to a standard model.

4 years ago

Heruga thank you for reminding me that my Sanguisorba tenuifolia was 'Alba'. I have grown it for so long I had forgotten it was a cv. Old gardeners forget things sometimes!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Whats this? I see a lot of it and blooming now.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Heruga, that one is Lobelia syphilitica, great blue lobelia.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wetland/plants/gb_lobeliax.htm

Original Author
    3 years ago

What is the purple flowered one and the on the left, an early blooming shasta? Also in the second pic, the Red double flowered ranunculus like flower in the front? I know the other red are primulas

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Shasta daisy looks right.

Purple flowered plant in top photo appears to be Sisyrinchium, blue-eyed grass

Red (pink) flowers in foreground of bottom photo are Bellis perennis, aka lawn daisies

Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like I can comment here again. 2 plants. What vitis species is this and is the second plant a disporum? If so what species? I never planted that so it must have self sown

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Don’t know about the vine but the second picture is Epipactis helleborine which you asked about last year.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Is this artemisia? if so what species?

3 years ago

Yes, perhaps Artemisia ludoviciana 'Valerie Finnis'

Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh right, I remember I asked about the epipactis. Couldn’t remember how it looked. Gotcha on the artemisia.

Original Author
    3 years ago

What is this shrub

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Heruga, it's Philidelphicus. I'm leaning toward P. inodorus.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Jay generously gave you some bonus letters. Philadelphus rather than Philidelphicus. Does it have a sweet scent? If it does that would eliminate P inodorus.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks floral. I've heard that inodorus can be fragrant. Damn autocorrect! What's in a name?

https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/species/philadelphus/inodorus/

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

there are some mock orange.. that will knock your socks off with fragrance from 50 feet away ...

and others that are not worth the space they take up.. which can be massive ...

ken

Original Author
    3 years ago

So that’s a philadelphus. Heard of the name but never seen it in person. It Was there in one of my open house showings so I just took a pic. Didn’t smell it close up but did not notice any fragrance from a distance.

Original Author
    3 years ago

What is this? I think it’s some kind of annual but seed was sown last fall

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Consolida regalis? Ranunculaceae, closely related to Delphinium. an annual , larkspur, it will seed everywhere if not deadheaded.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Is this amsonia tabernaemontana?

Original Author
    3 years ago

2 things. What is this magnolia and this rudbeckia looking plant? It was in one of the ’wildflower’ mix sowed last fall.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Yes it's Amsonia tabernaemontana, and Calycanyhus floridus, and Rudbeckia hirta. Doitashimashite Heruga 😁

Heruga (7a Northern NJ) thanked Jay 6a Chicago
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What may this be? It’s naturalized. Looks very much like something that would have a milky sap but not sure what it is. White flowers

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Apocynum, dogbane. Could be 1 of 2 species, androsaemifolium, or cannibinum.

Original Author
    3 years ago

More of confirmation than ID but here are 4 plants that grow naturally in my area. 1) A vernonia, as you told me last year jay? 2) A cherry of some sort? 3) Solidago? What species ? 4) A bur oak?

Original Author
    3 years ago

What tree is this? Also nevermind the last pics, I discovered they are ragweed and solidago not vernonia

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

One of the shrubby Loniceras. Very likely one of the invasive ones.

Btw not seeing any Ragweed in the preceding pix. First pic looks like Solidago with Aster

Yellows disease.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Isn’t the 3rd pic ragweed(ambrosia artemisifolia)? Has a very strong mum like smell

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

No it’s not. It’s an Artemisia species

Original Author
    3 years ago

Then probably artemisia vulgaris. I grow A. Princeps and they look nothing alike. Btw may I ask how you are able to distinguish this artemisia and ambrosia? They look very similar and I thought it was just ambrosia because it’s native to where I live, although I probably have never seen it if these are all artemisias.

Original Author
    3 years ago

What is this vine? Thought it was English ivy at first but when I went closer it looks different.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Those are the mature leaves of English Ivy.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Hedera helix leaves are very variable, even before they reach the top of their support and go into the arborescent phase.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Ty.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Heruga, could you possibly start a new thread for your id questions? This one has got very long and it takes a while to find the latest query right at the end. Some people might not even bother, thinking it’s an old post.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living