Software
Houzz Logo Print
ceciem2005

Root stock taking over?

Looking for a bit of help with this from those who know!

I planted rosa mundi last year and it bloomed, then started growing vigorously with lots of long branches that i had to wrap around a nearby trellis etc.

This year it's so vigorous and bossy and the buds look dead wrong to me.

It's on multiflora rootstock so that seems to be the culprit but looking to confirm and guide what happens next. The top 2 pictures are the 'suspect' and the leaf pic on the bottom is what I perceive to be R.M, more oval in shape and less serrated.

Thanks in advance!

Cece




Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    Multiflora and its kin are easy to ID. They have fringed stipules. Gallicas don't.

    CecieM Zone5B Ontario thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 7 years ago

    And that's so "fringey," I thought for a minute it was Crested.

    CecieM Zone5B Ontario thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all so much!

    Now I have a bit of a job ahead of me to remove the many many suckers...

    Any thoughts on how to reduce this occurence, should I haul the whole plant out and replant at a higher depth--do you find Rosa Munda to be hardy enough to risk it? I would suggest my area may be more 6A than 5B. When I recieved the bareroot I did plant the bud union quite deep, as I wanted to make sure she survived.


    Cece

  • 7 years ago

    Cece, I think that if you have "many, many" suckers already, then you have an uphill battle on your hands. Once an understock has surfaced and established significant above-ground growth, its nearly impossible to stop it. The odds are that it will recur indefinitely.

    However, since you state that you have planted the bud union quite deep, the odds are in favor of 'Rosa Mundi' forming its own roots and escaping the understock entirely in the next few years. If that happens, then you should be able to dig suckers of 'RM' and move them elsewhere and establish them as a new plant, free of the understock.

    CecieM Zone5B Ontario thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Dig down to where the sucker is coming off the main root, and rip/tear it off. Don't cut it.

    IME, deep planting discourages suckers. So I wouldn't dig it up and replant higher. Once they are ripped off, they shouldn't come back.

    CecieM Zone5B Ontario thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 7 years ago

    thanks again.

    I had to dig it up completely to see what was what. The multiflora suckers were large, I'll include pictures below: thicker than my thumb in the first picture, the piece I'm holding! I ripped off the two of them (as carefully as one can "rip" off a huge piece of wood) and the other images show the remainder of rosa mundi... Any comments on the how the root area looks before I replant her? Specifically do i need to worry about the thick roots near the wound?

    With regards to replant should I trim her top growth as she's had such a shock?

    This is with me holding the actual huge thick multiflora sucker

    Rosa mundi after the removal

    close up of wound area

    Thanks for having a look, all your help is much appreciated.

    Cece