Software
Houzz Logo Print
lifesizepress

Stone Fireplace Needs Your Help!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I see lots of people painting and demo-ing beautiful mid-century fireplaces... I wish I had those problems. Those fireplaces are the ones I have always dreamed about. But the one I will have in my soon to be closed on home looks like it belongs in a hobbit house. It was built with love by the original owner of the house. I really like it in theory but it is just too big. I can see lime washing the rocks, or even painting them grey, but what to do about the hearth that sticks out a yard into the room? Can I chip away the hearth and claim some of the footprint back? Is it possible that there is brick under there? How hard is all this to do? I am very handy and not afraid of power tools. I just don't want to make it worse. Can a stone mason cut it square?

What are your thoughts?

PS I will be putting in some sort of wood flooring after any masonry work.

PPS The images are screen shots, sorry the arrows are misleading.

Thanks!






Comments (29)

  • 7 years ago

    Live with it for a year. You may learn to love it just the way it is. Have the tile floor professionally cleaned before you move in.

  • 7 years ago

    By the way, if you alter its structure, you'd have to bring the whole thing up to current code if you lived in my area. Call a chimney pro to discuss current code requirements and your options.

    Debora Oden thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    I vote for demo at least the hearth and bring it way back toward the wall. I would probably demo the whole rock facing and redo. It's too large for that space.

    Debora Oden thanked flyr4fun
  • 7 years ago

    I don't think squaring the fp would work there. I love the circular style unique design. It takes less space. I feel the table belongs over there

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, Happyleg, I agree. But the table has an awesome feature that is not apparent in the image. It is attached to the cabinets with a little mail/linen slot. I would of course get different chairs. The rounded hearth is really, really big.


  • 7 years ago

    I would just paint the stones and shorten the mantle

    Debora Oden thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    What would you do with the extra space of you took the hearth back? You seem to like the table as is, so guessing you won’t put a table there. I know it feels out of proportion, but is it worth doing if there’s not a more practical purpose for the redo? The part that I might look at taking out is that second lower year around the taller part of the hearth, that looks like more of a tripping hazard, hard to say how close that is to the door.

    Debora Oden thanked DH
  • 7 years ago

    I was thinking that with wood floors, It could be a warm, inviting seating area, to relax and visit with the cook. Maybe two velvet chairs? I am at a loss for the space, especially as the fireplace is on the corner. On the other end of the kitchen is a beautiful dining area with access to the patio. So I don't need it to be table space. It wants to feel like a transitional space from sunken living room to the kitchen.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Wood floors would be great. The hearth needs to be 20" from the face of the real fireplace to meet building codes. Nothing flamable, like wood floors for 20". So cutting it back to that is fine. Yes, you can use brick hearth. I would put a coat of semi see through plaster over the stone to sort of whitewash it. It does not come out into the room too far. Also, put a much THICKER mantel above, that one looks wimpy.

    Debora Oden thanked Maraya Interior Design
  • 7 years ago

    and yes, DH, I thought about just removing the lower lip. It sticks out approx. 5".


  • 7 years ago

    It probably sticks out much further than that.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Sorry ... I hate it, I would demo it out if financially possible. Or, at least drywall over it.

    Debora Oden thanked K Laurence
  • 7 years ago

    This is outside the scope of your original question, but how are you feeling about the sunken living room? We can’t really see it of course, but the stair(s) tiled with the same tile as the kitchen flooring and the one little metal railing on a step that seems to be the width of a room strikes as a little odd. Could be charming in person, but that’s why I ask.


    Getting back to the fireplace... sounds like yes, taking out the hearth and replacing it with a different material or at least cutting it back to meet minimum code is a good idea. And whitewash/limewash or German schmear to tone down the cacophony of the stone sound like great ideas.


    If you redo the hearth altogether, I wonder if it could be more flush with the floor, so you will have a little more visual space to work with for your casual seating area.

    Debora Oden thanked DH
  • 7 years ago

    DH! That is such a good response. The base of the fireplace itself is elevated, so I am not sure if it is possible to lower it. But I agree, that would help immensely. Regarding the sunken living room... the tiles are weird. I want to do bamboo in the whole house. to unify it. I am not sure what it will take to make that arch out of hardwood flooring. Any ideas? I will need to get some sort of protective edging. But I fear that that will look weird too.

  • 7 years ago

    If you chisel that fireplace the whole thing would have to come down and start from scratch is that what the op is willing to do?

    Debora Oden thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Claire, do you think I would have to do that even if I chisel just the hearth that is so big?

  • 7 years ago

    You won’t know what you are dealing with until the demolition starts. Sometimes, people who don’t like their original fireplace think they can do it better by covering it up with something a little more “current”, which also becomes passe’ in ten years. The worst thing with the fireplace is the hearth taking up so much space.
    Is there a chimney on the exterior? That could give you a clue. I would remove it if it was in my house. It will mean possibly having to change the flooring, and you will have some walls to repair, but it will be worth it to have a working fireplace or just a larger room.

    Debora Oden thanked felizlady
  • 7 years ago

    Your fire box is connected to the hearth

    Debora Oden thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    hmmm. thanks. I think I will get a chimney person in to give me some structural advice.

  • 7 years ago

    I think the fireplace is kind of cool. I like the hearth, though not that little lip at the bottom. I can't think of a purpose for that.


    I wouldn't do anything till after I'd lived in the place for awhile and experienced the fireplace live. I could totally see it being a spot to cozy up in the winter.

  • 7 years ago

    If you’re thinking of changing the whole floor to bamboo, I would ask a chimney/fireplace expert if you can take just the hearth away, or take the whole thing down, or whatever. I would remove the entire structure and Put in your bamboo flooring. Then decide what type of fireplace, if any, you want there. It’s an awkward location.

    Debora Oden thanked RedRyder
  • 7 years ago

    I would definitely advise to ask for that advice.

    Debora Oden thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Groveraxle!!! You are a wonder! I didn't even think how important it would be to open up the door! It feels much less crowded! The fireplace looks so much better without the lower portion! I have a door that looks just like that too! It may be just the perfect size! It looks so much better with the floor changed! I am new to this and now I see that I need to do visual mock-ups for all of my rooms. You have really helped me a great deal. Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    Groveraxle has hit on something I think. The fireplace actually balances the dark wood cabinets nicely, and feels not so busy when everything else has been streamlined and cleaned up. Maybe a couple of comfy chairs to curl up in and a small table between them for beverages is all you need. Might be worth trying that and living with it for a bit before you start knocking things down. ;-)

    Debora Oden thanked DH
  • 7 years ago

    I agree! Im much more excited and I have the beginnings of a plan! I plan on painting the cabinets, and probably lightening the fireplace. But mostly opening up the area and seeing how it works. And I have learned that I will get a chimney person in to look at it and tell me what is going on. Thanks all!

  • 7 years ago

    It will be super important to know what you can and cannot do. I'm glad you have a chimney person coming in. Let us know what he/she says.

    Debora Oden thanked RedRyder
  • 7 years ago

    Will do RedRyder! This is my first big project. I will share images. I love this forum!


  • 7 years ago

    I think the fireplace is fine. I don't think you'd gain much usable floor space by removing part of the hearth. It sounds like more cost and effort than actual functionality. I think once you put down the new floor, you'll probably like it better.