Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msherlock60614

Time to Lighten & Brighten

Molly
4 years ago

Our 1 bedroom condo is undergoing some renovations which will be done soon and it's time to lighten things up. We will need to paint the living/dining room, bedroom and connecting halls. Attached are pictures of the rooms to be painted. The current colors are Huntington Beige in the Living/Dining and Shaker Beige in the bedroom. The floor is java colored hardwood and the bedroom is carpeted. The exposure is southeast so we get morning sun until about noon. The upholstered pieces are new and won't be changed. There are no overhead lights because of concrete ceilings and I hate the look of draped cords.

Right now I'm hoping for some color suggestions. I'm considering BM Pale Oak and other have suggested SW Natural Choice and SW Worldly Gray. There is a strip of some other colors I was considering in the last picture. I don't want gray rooms, but am ok with greige. Please ignore the furniture and decor for now as some of it will be going (noteably the entertainment center), but not for a while. Please excuse the mess.

Comments (8.7K)

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Here is the zen geometric

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Available at Homedepot too…

Molly thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • niccidhg
    last month

Vanessa, 💗🥰🙏 thank you.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Hi Nicci always think of you and how you are doing…so nice to hear from you on this thread!🙏🏻

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Nicci thanks for the wallpaper suggestions! I’m trying to steer clear of flowers, and I like the S&L leaf one, but it might be a little busy. I’ll check out their site. 44 years is a long time! I’m only 7 years in. 😊. Feel free to come here and talk about him if you do choose, I’m sure there are many stories!!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last month

What about an interesting "stripe"? These are great in person. If you wanted the stripe to go vertical you could rail road them.

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

I don’t care for either of those Pink, but am open to other interesting things. 🙂

• niccidhg
    last month

You are a sweetheart, Molly. Thank you , again💕.

• pink_peony
    last month

What about just painting the walls a nice neutral and then bringing in some nice framed art.

for the backsplash have you considered one of the peel and stick tiles?

• niccidhg
    last month

A braid pattern? This, imo.is striking , but subtle at the same time because of the soft color. Its scale makes it modern, current and statement making, I think. Thibaut, however, is pricey and they don’t list prices, so that makes it harder when just perusing on line. I think Julie’s floral option is so pretty and it reminds me very much of your custom art in the living room ( the structure of the flower). I kept looking to see if I might find something as pretty and exciting while at a lower cost. ☺️ 😉

• niccidhg
    last month

Ok, last one - but if you like the idea of bringing in the blues from your living room, I think this is a gorgeous pattern .

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Nicci, I like the braid! Pink any insight on cost of the paper? I like wallpaper because I consider it art. 🙂. Have you ever used peel and stick tile?

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Nicci the last one you posted is beautiful too! I’m not sure I could make it work with my low ceilings. What do others think?

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    last month

I like the braid too (upscale and subtle looking) and I also like the modern floral that’s so $$$. 😆. I’m interested to hear your opinion Pink on self stick tile too. I’ve thought about using it in my laundry room behind my sink wall.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month
    last modified: last month

Peel and stick wallpaper is good for small areas…laundry rooms..behind shelving it is ok but can be hard to really get tight seams..just used it in my master bedroom closet behind my shelving and used it in my sitting room back of bookcases....but would not want to take on a large area….I think pool used it in her back hallway..I have not used the peel and stick tiles..not sure they are long term use…but have considered looking at them for a small area over the sink in my laundry room.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

I am not a fan of stripe wallpaper but they are both very pretty..the blue one would give the kitchen a more traditional style for sure. The braid leans more modern.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Molly have you looked at Serena & Lily papers?

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

I did look at the Serena & Lily papers. The patterns are pretty tropical.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

More to ponder..

• PRO
  • Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Julie. I’m trying to steer clear of florals since I did that in the bathroom. I liked the bottom left in your first set of pictures, but it is peel and stick and I am looking for pasted paper. The papers from S&L are very pricey and I am trying to keep this somewhat affordable.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Darn I didnt catch that it was a peel and stick…I will keep my eye out for similar in regular wallpaper.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Few more most about $100 a roll..come in different colors…

• Molly
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I went out searching for wall paper and came home with a sample of this one from Ballard. The colors look good with the cabinets and countertops. Thoughts? My mom thinks the neutrals are too blah.

• Molly
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Pic

• glschisler
    22 days ago

Just looking at it on my iPad , it doesn’t ring my chimes. But looking at it in situation, it my look totally different. So I guess I agree with your mom initially.🤔

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    21 days ago

i think its very pretty paper but imo not for a kitchen. i could see it in a powderroom or bathroom, a entry or morning room or even a light and airy dining room. i also wonder how much of that pattern will get chopped and lost on the backsplash and above uppers?

• lisalane
    21 days ago

I've been looking at wallpaper for my home and found Wallism.com. Fun site with hundreds of designs for murals or wallpaper. With your large wall in the kitchen it could be fun to do a mural. Of course, larger designs might not work for backsplash but backsplash could always be painted? Just a few examples:

• Molly
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thanks for the input gls and Pink. It wouldn’t work under the cabinets but the other walls are quite large. I like this because there are lots of colors that so with my cherry cabinets and greige counters. Lisalane I will check out that site, thanks!

• Molly
    Original Author
    21 days ago

I saw this paper tonight, thoughts?

• happyleg
    21 days ago

I love it! <3

• niccidhg
    21 days ago

I really like that one, Molly. I was wondering if it was the lack of boldness or the lack of a bit more color was making some of the others feel blah. The Ballard paper you showed earlier has a nice tie in to both the blue and coral in your living, dining and foyer area. I just thought it would be nicer to go more bold . This fits that bill. I found a couple earlier that I will send, too. This has a more textural look and you could go with the neutral or the blue. Uh oh, I see I lost the second one. Maybe I can still find it later.

• niccidhg
    21 days ago

• Molly
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I ordered some samples of the Eva paper (ignore the fact that all 4 samples are the same pattern). What are your thoughts on how the size of the pattern looks?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    11 days ago

Molly are you reconsidering flowers for kitchen?

• Molly
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I am. My DH likes these 2 options (the blue chair picture is a different colorway of the Lillian August vine and included just to get a better sense of the pattern on a wall). I would do something different under the cabinets if I choose the LA vine.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    9 days ago

i think the eva looks better with your counters. What are your plans for under and over cabinets? This one looks like even though some of it will get cut and lost it still can translate and look nice.

• Molly
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I guess I would do the Eva everywhere?? The other looks nice with one of my early choices. Here they are on both walls.

• Molly
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Here is a better picture of the 2 together.

• pat1250
    9 days ago

I like I like the sandberg Ava….it’s so much more subtle & timeless. I may be wrong, but might you get tired of the Coastal haven?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    9 days ago

Did you ever get a sample of the CB2 paper?

• Molly
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Julie I didn’t, it’s way over what I want to spend.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    8 days ago

Oh darn thats right it is way over the top!

• Molly
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Julie what do you think of the Eva? It comes in some other color ways too.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    8 days ago

Eva is pretty..but unsure with your wood cabinets…my first thought was baby nursery but that might be just my brain because I have been doing baby nursery shopping for my daughter..I have baby on the brain!🤣

• Molly
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Here is another option with more color. Hopefully you just have baby on the brain! 🤣

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    7 days ago

SEE I LIKE THE MORE SUBTLE COLORWAYS. THEY HAVE A SOPHISTICATED QUALITY TO THEM AND IMO MORE LONGEVITY. THEN YOU CAN BRING IN SOME COLOR WITH ACCCESSORIES.

I PREFER THE NEUTRAL EVA AND I LOVE THIS ONE IN JULIES GROUPING

THIS REMINDS ME SOMEWHAT OF THE SERENA AND LILY PRIANO PATTERN WHICH IS STILL MANY YEARS LATER ONE OF MY FAVORITE.

YOUR SPACE IS TIGHT I LIKE THE IDEA OF SUBTLE. I ALSO THINK KEEPING IT TO ONE CONTINUOUS WALLPAPER THROUOGHOUT THE SPACE WILL HELP EXPAND THE ROOM. THEN YOU CAN ACCENT WITH ANY COLOR YOU WANT. I THINK BRINGING ART IN ON THE LARGER WALL ABOVE YOUR MICROWAVE COUNTER WOULD GIVE YOU THE COLOR YOU CRAVE AND CREATE A FOCAL POINT.

APOLOGIES FOR ALL THE CAPS. MY MAC IS ON ITS LAST LEG AND DECDIED TODAY WAS THE DAY THE SHIFT KEY FROZE ON CAPITAL LETTERS .

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    7 days ago

You can have the option of traditional pre pasted style wallpaper.

• Molly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Thanks Julie and Pink. lol on the all caps 🤣. I ordered a sample to check it out. I’m worried that a small pattern will look VERY busy on the big walls.