0
msherlock60614

Time to Lighten & Brighten

Molly

Our 1 bedroom condo is undergoing some renovations which will be done soon and it's time to lighten things up. We will need to paint the living/dining room, bedroom and connecting halls. Attached are pictures of the rooms to be painted. The current colors are Huntington Beige in the Living/Dining and Shaker Beige in the bedroom. The floor is java colored hardwood and the bedroom is carpeted. The exposure is southeast so we get morning sun until about noon. The upholstered pieces are new and won't be changed. There are no overhead lights because of concrete ceilings and I hate the look of draped cords.

Right now I'm hoping for some color suggestions. I'm considering BM Pale Oak and other have suggested SW Natural Choice and SW Worldly Gray. There is a strip of some other colors I was considering in the last picture. I don't want gray rooms, but am ok with greige. Please ignore the furniture and decor for now as some of it will be going (noteably the entertainment center), but not for a while. Please excuse the mess.

• frostedsleet

hah Molly...we were on the same site same time! Do you want me to delete my comment?

• Molly

No need Frosted, nice to have the room picture.

• Seajaygerns

Jumping off frosted ‘s post, I found this color. I wonder if you could lighten just enough to get your cornflower white custom color.

• Molly

Seajay SW Quick Silver is supposed to be an exact match to the Cornflower White. I could get a Samplize of it. :)

• Molly

Lyn and others is there a recommended white if I go in that direction?

• Nora

...

• darchersd

Molly, off topic of color, but in one of the craigslist chairs for sale was a rug that, certainly not as glorious as yours, reminded me of it a bit. Crate and barrel may have it...

• Molly

Thanks Dar, I’ll check it out!

• wmsimons85

Wow all these twins! Aren’t that common so coincidental that you found each other here. :)

Molly was just having a look and Frostline from BM also looks a blue white. BM Decorators White also looks like it has a blue tint. But the whites below show what they look like with a pale blue white. Cloud White, Oxford White and Simply White and a few others look good to me but maybe these are too white for you? Don’t know if there would be much of a differentiation between your trim and wall as you mentioned. Nicci posted Shwshw’s newly painted white hall which I think is Behr white. Sorry if I’m wrong Shooshoo.

• lynartist

Molly, I found these inspiration picks the other day but didn’t post. Sometimes there is too much information. Whites aren’t that much different than other colors because they are off whites! That makes them colors;)! You need to find one that looks nice in your space. Decide what type of off white you want, warm or cool ; then go from there.

• lynartist

You may decide you want a warmer creamy white or a cooler taupe white.

• Molly

I definitely want warm. Any idea what colors are on the Traditional Home cover?

• Seajaygerns

I have used BM Dove White. It’s a really pretty white with a hint of tripe to my eye. But I don’t know how to read formulas so I could be technically wrong. This BM blue white looks more white than The SW Quicksilver.

• lynartist

BM decorators white has a slight gray tint, so light as to be unnoticeable unless up next to a pure white sample.

• Seajaygerns

That Traditional Home room is yummy for lots of reasons including the wall and ceiling colors. Great post Lyn.

• Seajaygerns

Not tripe duh taupe.

• mileve

following

• lynartist

It doesn’t really matter because it may not really look like that in real life! What you like is the essence of that color you are seeing; a light , taupe white. So start there and look for whites in that range.

• lynartist

This may help your search.

Flo Mangan

Pictures in magazines are lighted carefully and even if we knew what colors were used, they would look different in your light. I will check my master paint list and see if I can recommend two colors for you to try samples in your light. Bbl

• lynartist

Oops;)

• lynartist

BM intense white is also a nice warm Greige you will have to see how some of these read in your space Molly; they may look very different, or too dark for what you want so it’s just a starting point!

• Molly

Thanks Lyn, I’ll order some Samplize decals.

• lynartist

Don’t use all of them Molly! Get paint chips first, then whittle them down to a couple of favorites then get your samplize.

• Molly

That was my plan, don’t need to overcomplicate things more than I already have. ;)

• frostedsleet

Molly - you stated you painted your whole place white when you first moved in...what was the paint you used? Just curious.

• Molly

Frosted I have no memory of the name. I believe it was Pratt & Lambert though.

Flo Mangan

Molly - rather than me giving you more choices, why don't you get some "chips" you like and then I can do a color analysis for you (that's the DNA of a color) and that will help you know what a color properties are and help you decide on which ones you want to pursue. That might be more efficient. Lynartist has given you several. Post your favorites and I can help you with the next step.

• lynartist

Here is an example of why you can’t trust photos to pick a paint color! Both these rooms are painted in BM cloud cover( described as a light , warm gray). How will it look it your home?;)!

• lynartist

BM intense white..

• Molly

Will do Flo. Can you tell me if SW Quick Silver aka Cornflower White is warm or cool?

• lynartist

Here’s QS. I think you can see it’s cool!

• Molly

Thanks Lyn. Here are a couple colors I found appealing on a computer screen and an interesting tip on combining colors. Can I put a cool color on the ceiling and a warm on the walls if separated by trim?

Flo Mangan

I will test them tomorrow.

• wmsimons85

I don’t know about Quick Silver but Cornflower white was cool.

Flo Mangan

Oh it is tomorrow! Here is my analysis and the color DNA for SW Quick Silver. It is in the Green Hue family. Cool segment.

Molly thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Since it is firmly in the Green Hue family I would expect it might look more green than blue.

Molly thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist

Yes, of course you can Molly. Keep in mind that neither one of these colors will be screaming cool & warm and they will both be light! I think all the examples I posted show that! Beige& blue look beautiful together. Gray & blue too! Cream & blue also! The point is the blue on your ceiling should be very muted and very soft/ light! Your walls will be light too! Sounds beautiful to me!

• lynartist

Example

• lynartist

Equally lovely

• CindyR

Hi, Molly:

I read through part of this thread and some of the colors I have tried or am using are mentioned but so far I have not seen BM Cloud White mentioned. It’s a lovely color!

Molly thanked CindyR
  • lynartist

BTW Molly, the blue drapes in you photo isn’t separated by trim;)!

• Molly

Thanks for the color analysis Flo, very helpful. Lyn I love those combinations you posted too!

• Molly

CindyR thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out. I also read about Cotton Balls.

• Seajaygerns

Oh boy, Seed Pearl and Fanfare are beautiful together. Personally, my two cents is a taupe white. I had BM linen white in a house with a lot of light and never tired of it. Very comfortable color. A lighter version is just right. ;))

Molly thanked Seajaygerns
  • Molly

Hitting up the SW store for paint strips tonight, getting excited. BM store doesn't stay open late enough to get to so it will be Friday or this weekend before I get those. I have a list of 6 blues and 6 neutrals to test out via Samplize or actual paint in the case of P&L Seed Pearl.