msherlock60614

Time to Lighten & Brighten

Molly

Our 1 bedroom condo is undergoing some renovations which will be done soon and it's time to lighten things up. We will need to paint the living/dining room, bedroom and connecting halls. Attached are pictures of the rooms to be painted. The current colors are Huntington Beige in the Living/Dining and Shaker Beige in the bedroom. The floor is java colored hardwood and the bedroom is carpeted. The exposure is southeast so we get morning sun until about noon. The upholstered pieces are new and won't be changed. There are no overhead lights because of concrete ceilings and I hate the look of draped cords.

Right now I'm hoping for some color suggestions. I'm considering BM Pale Oak and other have suggested SW Natural Choice and SW Worldly Gray. There is a strip of some other colors I was considering in the last picture. I don't want gray rooms, but am ok with greige. Please ignore the furniture and decor for now as some of it will be going (noteably the entertainment center), but not for a while. Please excuse the mess.

Comments (2.1K)

• Molly

I'm partial to musicals, not your favorite I know. ;). I like anything that is uplifting so I don't limit myself to only musicals.

• shwshw

Molly, I just got back and saw your new furniture. She’s a beauty! You are going to think you entered the wrong front door. What a change

How to brighten-lighten this kitchen on a budget?

Yes, definitely the accessories will be gone. Any color suggestions--light is a must but I would really like a little color. What would work? Or is something like cream the best? This opens into a club room with a brick fireplace and lots of open windows.

Need help lightening and brightening my living room! So tired of the red...

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am looking to move away from the reds and oranges completely and create a more eclectic contemporary feel. I know a great place to swap my Persian for a different colour combination. I'm just not sure how to place the furniture and what exactly to do with my orange couch? I thought may e a slip cover?

Colour help to brighten or lighten a dark lounge room

Your woodwork is beyond gorgeous, and it would be a shame to paint it. Where the darkness makes you moody, you might be better off to invest in some full spectrum lights to get the natural light into your brain to enhance your mood. I live north of Seattle where it's dark by 4:30 in the winter so I know exactly what you're going through. I bought a full spectrum light for my desk to use starting in about the middle of October because I know the darkness depresses me. It's absolutely amazing how effective it is! Mine is a small Ott Light that I got years ago at Home Depot for about $40. Here's a link to an Ott floor lamp: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daylight-Naturalight-51-in-White-Flexible-Floor-Lamp-UN1072/203077001 The other thing that has really impacted my mood positively this last winter is that I painted part of my house, and had to find an accent color as my grayish green was too dark so I went with a light orange sherbet color. I can't tell you how much more cheerful my house feels with a bright color to look at

Lighten/brighten a dark kitchen

I don't have it, but saw on houzz. "The sockets take standard bulbs 100W max each (500W max total) but look best with old-fashioned Edison bulbs (included). Barn wood base 60' long x 12" Wide and the pendants can be as long as 48" long. Please note: the images feature an LED bulb, which creates a copper-colored sheen on the inside of the fixture. This sheen is not present with regular bulbs, and there is no copper color present on the inside of the fixture." Click on the green More Info -- costs 575 and there are variations of size....
  • Molly

Thanks shwshw! I just discovered it has soft close hinges. :)

• Nora

Absolutely stunning. It’s going to be one gorgeous room.

• Molly

Thanks Nora! Good luck with your painting. :)

• Nora

Thanks Molly. They started today. I posted a picture on my post.

• lshack17

I haven't received any notifications on this post in forever. Just appeared today, the room looks amazing! That console is everything!! :)

Home Interiors with Ease

Molly how are things going?

• Molly

Thanks lshack! I love it too. I got the IR repeater yesterday so I need to organize the cabinet this weekend.

Julie I have so many white walls now I'm frozen! I'm not loving the current layout, but DH prefers it this way. :( I don't have great pictures, but here are the walls. I'm not home right now either so I can't get more.

The console table which I love and which brings some warmth into the room is in front of the middle window, but it's really not the ideal spot because it's too close to the coffee table and it's too big to put anywhere else except the end of the media cabinet (which looks dumb). Pink suggested putting standing mirrors on the dining wall (way back in the beginning). I'm looking for suggestions on all the walls I guess. Here are a few prints I liked because they bring in lots of color.

• kjoy1

Do you not like the artwork that you previously had in the room or do you need something bigger?

• DD Deco

Molly, just catching up!!! Paint looks so beautiful!! Love the openness without the cornice - wow, who knew that would open the room and view up (well obviously your team!!) love the console - just gorgeous!!!! You must be so excited ;) you have accomplished so much! I originally loved the idea of mirrors along the wall but if you are feeling it’s too bright then don’t do the mirrors because that will up the brightness factor ;) great place for art! I side with keeping the window simple and open - your view is amazing!! Yay You!!!!

Molly thanked DD Deco
  • Ellen Tracy

It’s going to look so pretty once you get everything set up. Can you put the console table on this wall?

Flo Mangan

Molly, a mural on that wall behind the TV similar to what we are kicking around in DDs dining room with design coming down from ceiling could be really cool. Nothing crazy but subtle. Or bring in color.

Molly thanked Flo Mangan
  • Molly

Ellen where would the dining table go?

Flo I'm going to leave the mural to Daphne, not my style and I don't have a trompe l'oi artist friend;)

Kjoy the old art is just a print that is terribly faded. I do like the frame. Is it size appropriate for anywhere?

I also have my curly candle sconces I'd like to reuse somewhere too.

• Gcubed

Just a lurker and not a pro by any stretch of the imagination... and you'd have to plot this out first. But could you put console and TV where dining was before; dining table near window where TV unit was before. Then sofa on wall across from new dining space and 2 chairs in front of window? Then you have window views for dining and sitting and nothing jutting off the wall/walkway where dining table was (I assume console + TV will be narrower than dining table).

Molly thanked Gcubed
  • Seajay Sparkles

Molly. I like all three art pieces you posted. So no help here.

Molly thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • mary44

Molly...The paint looks fantastic...so bright and airy now. Nice find on the console too :)

• Ellen Tracy

Yes the dining table needs to stay, so maybe the console will fit in the bedroom? Do you love it so much you won’t part with it?

• lynartist

Is it just me or am I seeing a “ tell” on that back wall were your trim used to be? If so you may need another coat of paint there.

• Molly

Lynn the paint was still wet when I took that picture, you can't see it anymore.

Thanks Mary :)

@Ellen I do really want to keep it and it won't fit in the bedroom.

@Seajay very helpful! ;) Jk

Flo Mangan

Molly if you are looking for art these water color paintings from Ballards. There are different sizes too. Thought of you when flipping through my latest catalog.

• Seajay Sparkles

Those are really cool Flo, and would be great accents in Molly’s room. I love those. Molly you’re going to have to furniture arrangements in place first before art. I promise to be more helpful.

• Molly

Flo where would you put these? I’m trying to incorporate more color into the room.

Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

Molly I had forgotten about this thread (doesn’t help that I don’t get any notifications anymore!), but I wanted to tell you that your nome is taking shape and I really, really love the console! It will all look so good.

• Molly

Thanks Vanessa! :)

Flo Mangan

Art can inspire as long as it works in room. I was thinking they could possibly work on a number of walls. Mainly I liked the blues and gold pretty framing that would speak to your coffee table and hardware on your console. I would decide where I like them best, and then select best size. So pretty. Nice transitional look.

Molly thanked Flo Mangan
    Home Interiors with Ease

Hi Molly... no notifications..until today...these are two art ideas I had saved for you...I love Van Gogh....colors are Amazing.... thought you might like them....

Molly thanked Home Interiors with Ease
    Home Interiors with Ease

Molly are you going to be putting your dining table against the wall and 2 chairs on each side?

Molly thanked Home Interiors with Ease
    Design Interior South

Molly ;-). see I am making an appearance just for you. I have been giving the space some thought. I am going to probably voice an unpopular opinion here but I am going for it anyway. I love the console and have said so many times. However now that your space is so beautifully painted, which is fabulous, I feel like the WOW factor of the console gets lost on the white walls. For this reason I am suggesting you wallpaper that one wall in a colored grasscloth paper. Not only will it create a back drop for you stunning console, by using grass cloth you will be adding texture to the room which I feel would be a great idea. Ive put a dark denim blue in the rendition but it could be another color. I found these wall shelves by Uttermost and thought they would look great on the wall as well. I would hang them vertically down each side smallest to largest. The tool doesn't allow me to break them apart and do that so just visualize them that way. I threw in some pillow options working solely with blue and keeping your existing rug.

However the art you showed me ,.........

designinteriorsouth's ideas · More Info

as I mentioned has a repeating theme through out and that is the color way of green coral and blue.

Which as you can see in this mock up fights with your existing rug. So I decided to put one of the art pieces in the room to see what we could come up with using the colors from it which all work really well in your space. I am not saying it would have to be these exact rugs, mirrors or pillows but am using them as examples only of how the room could be tied together using these colors.

designinteriorsouth's ideas · More Info

and speaking of rooms.....I know you are still struggling with layout and I cant recall if I ever shared this plan. It would use the total square footage of the space eliminating the walk way. You would walk through the room to get to each side of the home. I think this would allow the space to feel over all larger. On a whim I played with the idea of using the sofa at an angle and your console behind it. Its something to experiment with.

Molly thanked Design Interior South
  • Molly

Thanks ladies, I'm haven't gotten any notifications on this thread today, ugh!

Julie those are pretty and in the colors I like, I'm more of a Monet girl. ;) I still need to work on the layout I'm not happy with it quite yet. I will do that this weekend.

Pink thanks for the mock-ups so helpful! I love the blue, coral and ivory color scheme with small touches of green in art. :) I kind of like the rug in the mock-up with the arched mirrors, do you have a source? As for the grass cloth, it's very pretty and I love the texture, but not sure about how it would end on the left hand side because it's an outside corner. that turns into the hallway and it immediately met by the linen closet. I'm also afraid of putting holes in wallpaper! LOL

Should I look for an 8x10 or 9x12 rug? I'd rather not have it end in the middle of the walkway to the kitchen, that would be awkward.

Here is a layout Flo created that includes measurements. This is not the final layout, but very close to how I had it in my original pictures at the start of the post so not out of the question (I personally feel it's more open). DH likes the current layout which has the couch on the kitchen wall (8'6" wall) and one chair on an angle next to the couch and the other chair in the opposite corner with the console table in front of the middle window. (Sorry I don't have any photoshopping or sketching abilities to make these changes).

Home Interiors with Ease

Molly are you getting a new rug? Thought you are keeping the one you have....oh boy that opens up a new shopping spree!:)

yes that is the best layout for your space Molly....so pretty coming in and out of the room...need to work on the way you will place dining room table.

Design Interior South

Molly they make corner protectors for when you end a wallpaper on an outside corner. Some are clear but I usually prefer to use a paintable one on a solid color paper. I would take the paper to Home Depot have it color matched and then paint the guard the same exact color. On papers that are not thick like a grass cloth my wallpaper guy has actually wallpapered the protector. Most of the time ending a wallpaper with heavy glue at a corner is sufficient.

rug I just found on here

Silk road Updated Traditional Coral, Dark Blue Area Rug, 2'x3' · More Info

as well as mirrors

Mirror Arched Pier Mirror In Gold · More Info

the mirrors are pricey but I am sure something similar can be found at a reasonable price.

Molly thanked Design Interior South
  • Seajay Sparkles

Counting Flo’s squares in her floor plan, I would go for a 9x12 rug.

Molly thanked Seajay Sparkles
    Home Interiors with Ease

You just lighten up the room...no need to cover a wall dark? Get new rug and wall art colorful pillow accent ...your pretty deep coral...it will fill up before you know it! It honestly will give the feel that you loved from that inspiration image way back with the very expensive coral and blue rug you just loved....hang in it will all come together!

Molly thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Molly

Yay I'm getting notifications again!

• lshack17

Molly and Pink, I see Pink's point about the console blending in with the white wall. It really is such a fabulous piece, it should be one of the stars of the room and stand out. You could paint that wall if wallpaper seems too scary to test the look. I just really love how that contrast looks in Pink's mock up. You have light and bright as you wanted, a bit of drama is always great too. Either way, love the blue, coral, and touch of green palette!

Molly thanked lshack17
  • Ellen Tracy

The wallpaper sounds so pretty and you don’t have to make holes to hang things. Just cut a V shape big enough for a nail and peel back the wallpaper. Then when you want to remove the nail use a tiny bit of glue to lay the paper back down to hide the nail hole. A pro would be done with that wall in about an hour.

Molly thanked Ellen Tracy
    Design Interior South

Actually grass cloth forgives nail holes. I have had it in two houses and it the fibers can be moved. I missed your comment about that part Molly. ;-)

Molly thanked Design Interior South
  • Molly

lshack I have freshly painted walls (not even a week old) so I don't want to deal with more paint already, that gave me heart palpitations, lol. I think I'll wait a bit on wallpaper and enjoy the light and bright for a while. :) It's something that can always be added after I complete the other decor items. Good to know about the forgiveness factor of grass cloth though.

• lshack17

I guess I didn't realize the white has only been up for a week. Painting or wallpaper would be palpitation inducing this early before you have a chance to live with it. :)

• Seajay Sparkles

Molly. Can you post a picture of your dream rug again for style. As I was looking at rugs, I came across this Beauty from Manhattan Rugs that was suggested for DD in her living room, you might remember. It would be gorgeous with your floors and new wall color . . . but waaay too expensive I’m afraid. And here’s another one that is a show stopper.

• Seajay Sparkles

Show stopper

• Molly

Here is the dream rug for color. I like your first one better Seajay, the 2nd seems very rusty and I'm not loving the yellow.

• Seajay Sparkles

Thanks so much.

• Molly

Here is a bigger picture.

Home Interiors with Ease

Molly so pretty

Flo Mangan

I take it you like the colors of the rug in contemporary picture not the style?

• kjoy1

if I remember right you do not like abstract art as well...correct Molly?

• Molly

I actually like the style and colors in the rug. I’m trying to bring more color in the room. Kjoy you are correct on my art preferences. :)