msherlock60614

Time to Lighten & Brighten

Molly

Our 1 bedroom condo is undergoing some renovations which will be done soon and it's time to lighten things up. We will need to paint the living/dining room, bedroom and connecting halls. Attached are pictures of the rooms to be painted. The current colors are Huntington Beige in the Living/Dining and Shaker Beige in the bedroom. The floor is java colored hardwood and the bedroom is carpeted. The exposure is southeast so we get morning sun until about noon. The upholstered pieces are new and won't be changed. There are no overhead lights because of concrete ceilings and I hate the look of draped cords.

Right now I'm hoping for some color suggestions. I'm considering BM Pale Oak and other have suggested SW Natural Choice and SW Worldly Gray. There is a strip of some other colors I was considering in the last picture. I don't want gray rooms, but am ok with greige. Please ignore the furniture and decor for now as some of it will be going (noteably the entertainment center), but not for a while. Please excuse the mess.

Comments (5K)

• niccidhg

At a snail’s pace, Molly. Thanks for asking. There is so much she needs to sell and needs to get ....and wants to do or have done. ( She thinks everything through so thoroughly, too .) I guess that is the fun of it.😁 She moved from a very spacious condo, where all of her furnishings fit beautifully. Now, she is in a house with completely different character - an older home circa 1930, with lots of little nooks and crannies, and nothing fits right ! It has a beautiful and private yard and stone patio , so lots of work there when Spring comes. Then she will need new shutters, some outside painting and she wants to have a paint wash done on the chimney ....😬. It took her a long time to just get things unpacked and organized in their new spaces.—- She thought moving was going to be a breeze...a real eye opener for her, but she loves it and is having so much fun . That’s the main thing. She is really making it her own and I know it will be beautiful . ( Lots of fun for me, too, as we talk about EVERYTHING . ) 🤪

• Molly

Sounds like you are both enjoying the process, lol. Hopefully she will let you share some pictures when she is done. Always love a good before and after. 🙂

How to brighten-lighten this kitchen on a budget?

Yes, definitely the accessories will be gone. Any color suggestions--light is a must but I would really like a little color. What would work? Or is something like cream the best? This opens into a club room with a brick fireplace and lots of open windows.

Colour help to brighten or lighten a dark lounge room

Your woodwork is beyond gorgeous, and it would be a shame to paint it. Where the darkness makes you moody, you might be better off to invest in some full spectrum lights to get the natural light into your brain to enhance your mood. I live north of Seattle where it's dark by 4:30 in the winter so I know exactly what you're going through. I bought a full spectrum light for my desk to use starting in about the middle of October because I know the darkness depresses me. It's absolutely amazing how effective it is! Mine is a small Ott Light that I got years ago at Home Depot for about $40. Here's a link to an Ott floor lamp: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daylight-Naturalight-51-in-White-Flexible-Floor-Lamp-UN1072/203077001 The other thing that has really impacted my mood positively this last winter is that I painted part of my house, and had to find an accent color as my grayish green was too dark so I went with a light orange sherbet color. I can't tell you how much more cheerful my house feels with a bright color to look at

lighten and brighten room

You might change the window treatment to something generally very light in color and translucent. You might also change the iron pendant to something very light in color. Finally, I would consider relocating the shelf. It is an uncomfortable size in proportion to its location, especially since it is so dark.

renovations to lighten & brighten a Craftsman

Photos of dark and dreary Craftsman spaces. Would love paint color ideas, etc., to lighten and brighten.
    Flo Mangan

Molly you have taken your room from ordinary to sublime!! Your planned finished touches will be the icing on the cake.

• Molly

Aww, thanks Flo. ❤️

• niccidhg

Oh, Molly, I forgot to mention two major things about Allison’s house . She had her baby grande piano ( which she never had in 12 years of condo living ) moved to the new house from her aunt’s house . It is in the living room and is making things a BIT hard 😬 to work around. It cost her almost $1000. to do that, but music has always been a big part of her life. Also, the first thing she did is tear down the face /mantel/ hearth of the fireplace and she’s having that redone. Sooo , it will be a while ,I’m afraid, before everything is done, lol. Anticipation and hard work are good things though. Exciting times !

• niccidhg

Excited about your new lamp coming today - the one you found at the very beginning of the lamp search . It’s my favorite and I can’t wait to see it in your pretty room, Molly.

Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

I don't have time to read everything to get caught up but I think I read you are still waiting on another lamp to try next to the painting? I do like that blue lamp in the most recent photo but I can also agree with what a few others said about using a white lamp so it won't distract from the artwork. I like the navy shade on the tripod! Your room is taking shape. Can't wait for the rug (when the time comes!)

• Kim

Molly, the painting looks lovely on the wall. Looking forward to seeing the new lamp tomorrow and the white bamboo and navy lamps when they arrive. Agree the pink pillow is wonderful no matter where you put it, but it looks great on the sofa from the angle where you see the painting. Hope I'm not nitpicking, but I seem to remember a discussion about how the navy lampshade wasn't as appealing when the lamp was lit. Just making sure that's THE lampshade.

• Kim

nicci, love hearing about your daughter's transition, love old homes, and like Molly, love to see a good before and after. ; )

• Molly

Lamp is delayed a day, darn it! Vanessa thanks, I heard from the design team today and hopefully they will get back to me soon on the rug options. :). I’m still contemplating the blue shade so it’s not a done deal on that yet either (my room seem dark! My DH thinks I’m crazy. 😂

• kjoy1

Poop!!! I was looking forward to seeing that lamp. :(

Home Interiors with Ease

Molly how long have you had your blue sofa?

• Molly

Only a couple of years Julie.

Home Interiors with Ease

Thanks Molly....I was thinking you could always do a slipcover..they are nice to change up a space off and on..my mom would add a white slipcover during the spring and summer and take it off during fall and winter..... the sofa was a blue print with birds in shades of gold it was so warm looking for the cold days..I always looked forward to the change each Season.

• Molly

Let’s see how much the rug end up being. It is a sofa bed (rarely used) so I don’t know if that would make a difference. What color would you propose? I light color would show dirt fairly quickly since it’s used every day.

Home Interiors with Ease

For this price..it would be a fun quick change...you just throw it in the wash.....but of course I would tell you to use Bayes all over it!

• Molly

Those are pretty, but I fear I’d have to the buy new pillows too and god knows what else. Lol. I’ll at least check it out. 😉

• Linda

Love the idea of the slipcover! Very fresh looking. I’ve tried to find some to fit my sleepers, but sizes are always off! Molly, your room is looking fabulous! I really enjoy following your thread

• Molly

Thanks Linda. 🙂. I looked at the IKEA one Julie suggested, has anyone ever used it? Just wondering if there are actually individual cushion covers rather than 1 big cover that never looks good?

Home Interiors with Ease

Morning....the IKEA has separate covers For all the cushions with zippers...I did my entire Lake house in MI with all the ikea slipcovers they are great!

• Molly

Thanks Julie. Maybe after I get back from my trip to NY at the end of March I will take a trip out to Ikea. I’ve never been to it! We are going to Cancun on Tuesday, can’t wait for some warm weather!!

• Kim

I don’t see why you would suddenly decide to slipcover a fairly new sofa unless you’ve decided the purchase was a mistake, Molly.

Molly thanked Kim
  • kjoy1

Cancun!!! Jealous 😎

Molly thanked kjoy1
  • Molly

Kim it’s just a seasonal consideration and it’s cheap!

Home Interiors with Ease

Molly..that sounds wonderful! I have never been there..can’t wait to hear all about it when you return😎

slipcovers are always a fun option For the seasons..I have many clients that use them and also for headboards to go from winter to spring in lighter colors..it really is fun...have made a few for squared upholstered headboards..so easy with velcro or ties.

• pink_peony

One thing to consider with slip covers is that pre made slip covers are made to specifically fit the sofa they go on. The sofas they go on are upholstered with flat sewn seams cotton. This makes the slip covers lie evening on the frames and cushions and slip on and off easily. If the size matches the seat cushions will be easy to switch out. The back pillows will be more complicated and often the full on a back pillow doesnt have a sewn cover/casing. That leads me to my next point. Even if the measurements pan out a slip cover will be difficult to put on and will not lie nicely over the outside of existing cushions, pillows and frames that have welting. Even more worrisome in your case in regards to this is the fact that your fabric is dark and has a texture on your sofa. Not being a nay sayers here but it isn’t as simple as putting a slip cover on it.

• Molly

Pink I was wondering about it would look with the welting. I guess it’s worth at least investing.

Home Interiors with Ease

Remember the back and seat cushions on your blue sofa would be unzipped and removed and you would put the slipcovers on them (the uncovered cushion)...so no welts or deep blue underneath...

Home Interiors with Ease

Of course you would have to see if the measurements on the slipcover are similar to your sofa...they will not fit super tight that is kinda the look for spring and summer..casual comfy style....no big deal but it is kinda fun...I have two pattern chairs that I put slipcovers on and just love them..when we moved the chairs didn’t match in the rooms they are in now...so I added cotton duck slipcovers.

• pink_peony

Julie often that can be done on seat cushions with no issue. Back cushions however are a case by case scenario. Many manufacturerers just wrap them and don’t use a cased cover on the interior. Hence my comment above that I maybe didn’t write well. Again case by case scenario. 9 out of 10 a premade slip cover wont fit properly due to one of the reasons listed. Maybe Molly will be the lucky 1!

Home Interiors with Ease

Yep I got it Pink...for $98 dollars and can be returned..no big deal

• Molly

Oh I'd have to take off the blue? Hmm, getting it back on after you returned it Julie was a bear, not sure I'd want to go through that again!

• Molly

Yay, the Kelly lamp was delivered, can’t wait to see it when I get home. :). Blue lamp was exchanged for white. I guess I’ll have some surprises when I get back from Cancun. 🙂

• niccidhg

Have fun on your trip, Molly ! That sounds wonderful.

• Seajay Sparkles

Sun and fun for Molly. Have fun.

• Molly

Very disappointed ☹️. It’s very gray and we hate the shade.

• ladma

The shade doesn’t seem like it matches the base. What a bummer!

• niccidhg

Ohhhh, that is too bad, Molly. So sorry. That’s not at all like it was pictured.

• Molly

Agreed ladma, it’s already back in the box, lol!

• Molly

I agree Nicci, maybe I’ll write a review.

• frostedsleet

So sorry Molly...but there is always Cancun!! ☀️ Lamps are so hard but that does not look anything, as Nicci stated, what is presented online.

Meant to mention how awesome your painting, mirror and media console wall reflect at night in your windows!! So pretty.

• Molly

One of the other things I didn’t like was how fat it was from top to bottom. I’m used to curvier lamps I guess.

• pink_peony

I won’t be shy. That’s fugly! 🤣

• Molly

Bwhahaha Pink, so true!

• Kim

I am so tired of deception. Companies use trick photography and filters to make products look "better." If you want your product to look like your photos, then make them that way! They are banking on customers being too busy or frustrated to return unwanted items. On top of that, didn't we learn recently that a lot of returned goods are trashed instead of restocked? It's infuriating. Sorry it didn't work out, Molly.

• kjoy1

Oh Molly...poop! I had a disappointment like that waiting for that bird lamp that looked amazing online. I was excited to get it...pulled it out of the box...it was back in the box about a minute later. I just knew instantly that it wasn’t the one. So disappointing :(

• Seajay Sparkles

What a crock! Is there a stronger word than fugly. 🤭🤔 I’m sure there must be.

• Molly

It is very disappointing and one of the reasons I like to buy big ticket items only after seen them in person. I already have the return authorization.

Home Interiors with Ease

Holy Moly! so sorry a Molly I know you really loved it and wanted it to work..that a shame😞

Molly the blue covers don't have to be removed but if you don’t like how the slipcovers look On them you can remove the blue underneath...you really don’t know until you get it and try.

• salonva

Oh how disappointing with the lamp! This is what is maddening about shopping online. Now that iI looked again at the photo of the ad, I can see a the shade details. I guess without them showing with the light on, (same thing with some of the navy shades) you can't really get a handle on what they will look like. Sad to say that shade reminds of my dentist's office waiting room when I was a kid, and why I am not a fan of anything MCM.

The good news is Cancun and the white bamboo lamp should be a hit.