Software
Houzz Logo Print
joeywyomingzone4

Roses in Wyoming zone 4b/5a

7 years ago

Hi all, I have been lurking for a while admiring all your lovely gardens! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and your wisdom, I feel like I have learned a ton! I have loved roses all my life but only started growing them five years ago, and only a year ago really started to study the ins and outs. This spring we moved from the high desert of Colorado to Story, WY, which is zoned 4b and 5a depending on which website I look at, and I dug up almost all my roses and brought them with me. Our house is on the edge of the forest but in quite a sheltered spot with less wind and more sunshine than almost anywhere else in town, but still a very short growing season. I want to give my roses the best of care so that they can make the most of what time they do have, any advice would be very much appreciated.


Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    Hi and welcome! Your backyard is really pretty. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in your new state. I've spent a lot of time in your old one in would love to live there. What roses are you growing?

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks! It is amazing here, so lush and green after living for five years in the desert. I have Iceberg, Lambert Closse, Mandarin Sunblaze, Pink Knockout, Queen Nefertiti, and Harison's Yellow which are all several years old and pretty good sized. Last year I got Champlain, Sexy Rexy, Champagne Arches and Apricot Twist from High Country Roses and they are still pretty small yet but all have buds forming so I am looking forward to seeing them bloom. I also got Ultra Violet and Fragrant Lavender Simplicity roses from the Wayside Gardens sale and they just arrived in the mail today so they are soaking their roots in a bucket.

  • 7 years ago

    Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself. Your backyard is so green, lush and beautiful. Tell us more about the rose garden.

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    I would order roses from High Country Roses. They did very well for me in my Alaska years and here too. You have a lovely spot.

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Welcome !!
    Whoa!! Your yard is huge. Trees and grass is so green and luscious. Pls, tell us about your roses ?

    jin

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    ...this takes me back... I've been through Story, coming down from Banner... such a beautifully scenic region, along Piney Creek....we drove across the top of the Bighorns... I can't imagine growing roses like hybrid teas there... I did see wild ones nearby... best of luck with your roses...

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all! When we arrived there was very little in the way of gardens, a row of daffodils and irises along the front of the cabin hiding one little mystery rose that our landlady had no idea was there. It is about to bloom so I am looking forward to seeing what it is. There are clumps of wild roses in the lawn which my husband diligently mowed around a couple. I built the raised bed this spring (attaching my 'before' picture) which now has my cutting of Harisons Yellow, the miniature rose Apricot Twist, and my Queen Nefertiti Austin rose which absolutely has to survive because she is in memory of a close family member who passed away last year. The rest of the roses I am putting along the side fence for easier deer proofing and because that fence gets direct sun from before 6am to almost 9pm. They are spaced about 4-5 feet apart. The soil is quite rocky with lots of small pebbles but it is rich black mountain loam and I have access to unlimited manure for fertilizer. Our landlords have given me approval to do whatever I want in the way of gardens.


  • 7 years ago

    I am in a similar climate. Gallicas are pretty foolproof for me. Albas, centifolias, and damasks are also fairly reliable and easy. The best rebloom I get is from the Portland Indigo.

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked belmont8
  • 7 years ago

    Welcome! I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do. While it’s wonderful to stand back and see a full, beautiful garden, there is something very exciting about the beginning stages. All energy and hope and no back pain....:)

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago

    Sheila thank you I sure will do that! Alaska?! I never imagined that roses could grow there. Which ones could you grow?


    Belmont I appreciate the advice. Do the OGRs sucker much?

  • 7 years ago

    Joey, Species roses, rugosa, scots (spinosissima), and Canadian roses seemed to do the best. I bet gallicas would be great too. I think Alana ordered recently from Corn Hill Nursery in Canada and they had great choices on their website for cold areas.

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    My eyes bugged out at ‘rich mountain black loam’ and ‘unlimited access to manure’!

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    So did mine, Ben. How different from my decomposed granite, with no manure in sight. Joey, I wish you the best of luck with your new garden, and we hope to see lots of pictures of your endeavors.

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Love the rock wall that you built around your raised bed!

    joeywyomingzone4 thanked Baboosic z5b NH
  • 7 years ago

    Ben, I know I am very blessed here, we may get random snowstorms in the first week of June but I also have unlimited mountain spring water which we don't have to pay for. So I am very thankful and trying hard not to overwater in my adjustment from living in the desert. Our first month or two here all my roses turned yellow and I realized that the rain is mostly taking care of it.

    Ratdogheads thank you! It was a super fun project with my little boys, we collected all the rocks from within a hundred yards of the house. I am hoping that my roses like it!


    The red/pink/white/purple roses are all along the side yard fence. It is the first thing you can see when driving up the road so I am hoping that they will be okay blooming this year after the trauma of transplanting. The picture is taken from our back fence looking toward the street.