Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"ORPHANED" ROSE BOOKS

7 years ago

Kim Rupert added 132 new photos to the album: Orphaned "loved" rose book collection seeking new owner


This is a marvelous collection of rose books, rose catalogs, rose annuals, rose magazines, rare fruit publications, peony and lilac publications, Brooklyn Botanical publications, tree, shrub and bulb publications and assorted, wide ranging botanical and horticultural interest publications which needs to find a new someone to love and enjoy it. This represents many years of collecting by someone who grew and judged many roses and grew and enjoyed many types of rare fruit. This person has passed and his family wishes to find someone interested in purchasing the entire collection as a single unit, and for all of it to be taken at the same time.

There are MANY books, some of which I have photographed here to illustrate some of the richness of the collection. There are boxes of magazines and catalogs. There is a complete run of ARS annuals, including #1, 1916, plus DOZENS of duplicates. There are even duplicates of quite a few of the books, some of which might well surprise you when you see their photos.

These photographs required three hours this afternoon to sort through and pick out highlights to illustrate what is included, and even then, I am certain I have missed important volumes.

Please feel free to circulate this post. Someone needs this collection and that someone must be willing and able to pay the owner (not me) a fair price for what will be received. If you are, or know of someone who may well be its next loving owner, please feel free to contact me and I will happily put you in touch with its current owner.

====================================


Here are only a few of the images Kim posted:






Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    From looking at Kim's post I'm surprised at how many of these books I have, have had in the past or have checked out over and over again from libraries over the years. There are some very venerable and respected rose authors here. I hope these books can find the home they deserve.

  • 7 years ago

    This is a excellent collection. Wish I had the money to get it. Already commented on some I would love to have, but they want it all together and won't separate..

  • 7 years ago

    I can't afford this right now, but I hope it will go to someone who is going to keep it together and add to it over time. I hope they find someone who has the money and the love necessary to take over this collection! If they can't find a buyer, I wonder if they would be willing to donate it to a university library? Some land grant colleges in areas where roses are an industry might be interested.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Unfortunately, "donation" is not something the owner deems possible. She is elderly, recently widowed after a long incapacitation and requires income from all of her remaining resources. Some how, some way, they must be sold and I seriously doubt they won't be broken up.

  • 7 years ago

    And, beside that, University Libraries (at least the several I've heard about lately) don't want any part of such donations without an accompanying monetary grant.

  • 7 years ago

    And, public libraries purge their shelves of "unloved books" annually, dumping them at sales for pennies. As was pointed out in another source, the lucky ones get recycled. Unfortunately, many don't.


  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Deborah. Kim

  • 7 years ago

    I'm sorry you had that experience, Comtesse. It's the new way of the world. There appears not to be any book sellers interested in everything. They all have too much "everything" as it is and fewer and fewer people are buying books. It's much like antique furniture...a nearly dead market. If you look on line for the titles, most are there at widely varying prices. But, those are requested prices, not sales.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you.

  • 7 years ago

    Another sad thing about books that might have plates illustrating roses is that some dealers will buy the book for little to nothing and then cut out the plates, and resell those as art objects.

  • 7 years ago

    She might also want to contact the lloyd Library.