rockdale

What is this plant?

rockdale

It is around 4 feet now.

Picture see comment pls

thanks in advance.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Rudbeckia laciniata I believe.

• rockdale

Thanks, It is a flower then? - any non-woody plants taller than 4 feet screaming weeds to me :)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Yes a yellow daisy like flower and a native. Lol if you consider it a weed then you do what you will with it! Rudbeckia laciniata

rockdale thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • rockdale thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • rockdale

Have not seen any buds. I will update back when they flower.

• rockdale

They are flowering. The plants are taller than 6feet now.

• mxk3

Is that the same plant? The leaves in the pic directly above look much different than the leaves in your original pics.

• rockdale

I believe they are as there are no other tall plants in that area. But I will double check the leaves tomorrow

• harold100

That is odd. The flower resembles dahlias.

• carol23_gw

It looks like Rudbeckia laciniata ' Hortensia' as Windberry stated above. Leaf shape near the flowers is different than basal foliage.

http://www.perennials.com/plants/rudbeckia-laciniata-hortensia.html

rockdale thanked carol23_gw
  • windberry zone5a BCCanada

Definitely Rudbeckia laciniata 'Hortensia'

rockdale thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • StevePA6a

Just beware, it can become quite a thug. I had to get rid of it ALL!

rockdale thanked StevePA6a
  • windberry zone5a BCCanada

I just love it. And it is as far from being a thug in my garden as can be. Probably the growing conditions (soil, climate) are much more to it's liking in your garden Steve.

• Jay 6a Chicago

Windberry. Do you know the reason why they used to plant this by outhouses?

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

It may like a lot of fertilizer.

• rockdale

Thank you all. Sorry, could not get back to this post earlier. Here are the pictures. And I believe it is Rudbeckia laciniata ' Hortensia'. In the 3rd picture, the flower is a little different although the leaves are the same. Also thanks for the 'thug' warning - I can see it going to take over that area already... probably will move it to somewhere else next spring.

• Jay 6a Chicago

I think mine topped out at 7 or 8 feet. Maybe they planted then by outhouses so they could see the flowers through the screen? The roots of this plant can be used medicinally just like Echinacea. The deer devoured my 3 plants. Maybe they were trying to shrug off a cold?

• windberry zone5a BCCanada

Deer that visit my prop (they jump through the smooth wire 8 feet tall fence) do not touch it.

As for the different flower, it is also R. laciniata, although a different cultivar.

• petalique

Goldfinches enjoy the seeds in fall.