Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_503011620

adding curb appeal to 70's mid century ranch

7 years ago

A visitor (a friend of mine) ran into my garage door and the whole door needs to be replaced. I've been wanting to add curb appeal and since I am replacing the garage door, I guess this is a good time to spend some money for improvements. This is my first house (purchased less than a year ago) and I am looking for some design advice. PO repainted the exterior in dark bronze and I added black frame windows and barn lights to bring a commercial look but I am not sure if I am going in the right direction. I don't have a good picture of the house on my phone but the attached photo should give you some idea. For the garage door, I was thinking a flush door with side windows but I am open to different ideas. What other things can add curb appeal? I can think of new siding, new front porch column & railing, or different exterior color, etc. The third photo is a porch column idea I found online. I would really appreciate your ideas!








Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago

    Consider having the brick stained darker to work with the bronze.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    that second picture is totally boss. Go with that option in our opinion!

  • 7 years ago

    The second picture is just a reference for garage door.

  • 7 years ago

    Like Beverly’s rendition, just would add modern address numbers vertically & perhaps a little more contemporary landscape such as large square pavers parallel to the driveway for a modern look & a pathway to your entry.

    Sean K thanked K Laurence
  • 7 years ago

    I really wanted glass garage door but then I learned they cost at minimum $3k-4k... The flush door design with side windows costs about $1300-1500 installed so it fits better in my budget. Any other design suggestions in this cost range?


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    No to those really not attractive posts and I love the garage door with the windows on one side. The rest IMO is landscaping that is what provides curb appeal. Google MCM landscaping for some awesome ideas

    Sean K thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago

    I do agree that landscaping is a big part of curb appeal...but I prefer to keep it low maintenance as I am barely managing the current front & backyard...lol and that’s why I was more focused on updating building structure. Any ideas for the posts? I am not a big fan of those ornamental iron columns...besides it looks so skinny with the size of the gable.

  • 7 years ago

    Sean K .... I have 2 homes landscaped in a “contemporary” ( some would say MCM ) style, trust me, they’re much more low maintenance than any other. Been there, done that.

  • 7 years ago

    I think you’re nailing the direction you’re going with your updates. Nice. Here’s some inspiration for 6x6 wood posts to replace the skinny rot iron at front door:

  • 7 years ago

    Actually that last photo looks like 8x8, but you get the idea. Could paint or keep posts wood stained.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Use a steel pole to replace the iron work


    No railing. IMO it's not necessary especially if you have perennial plants at the drop off

  • 7 years ago

    The previous owner was headed in the right direction and so are you. Round steel posts painted to match the dark trim.

  • 7 years ago

    A new front door wouldn't hurt either.


  • 7 years ago

    Those frosted garage doors look terrible in life - you can always see the outlines of garage junk from outside. Unless you are immaculate and leave your garage space wide open, don’t.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    A definite YES to the new porch column and railing. If your porch is less than 30" from the ground you shouldn't even need a railing although it may be your preference to have one anyway. Do like the idea of a garage door with a glazing (glass) in it somewhere. Perhaps the whole door could be glass? Good Luck!


  • 7 years ago

    hows this for the gable siding? And H beam column to add more industrial look and black or darker wood color for the garage door...what do you guys think?


  • 7 years ago

    I like this post and door style. If you get the vertical window garage door, can you get it with the windows to the right side?

    Exterior Split Level Makeover - Brick and Siding · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Now we just need to do something with your front landscape.


  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    I like Groveraxle's rendering above. Except! I would replace the skinny post with a big chunky wood post the same colour as the garage door and gable. This house has the potential to be really really cool.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm not a fan of the wood because of maintenance issues. I might be wrong, but how much work will it take to keep that wood looking so fresh and beautiful?

    I like the bulkier column better than the pipe, as shown a few suggestions up.

    Lots of potential!