Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cercis47

So many snakes in the garden

cercis47
4 years ago

Wow, I have been gardening here 40 years and have never seen so many garter snakes. I know they are beneficial but I hate being surprised by them! Has anyone else noticed an increase?

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I haven't noticed any more than usual. I would like to see more of them in my garden.......they might keep the slug and snail population down a bit. But then, I'd be fearful for my tree frogs, as they like to eat those as well!!

• cercis47
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I live on Whidbey and several years ago, two gardeners from a community on one of our beaches were discussing an “infestation” of garter snakes. Apparently they became a problem, getting into basements, etc. I am wondering if the vole problem I had is somehow connected. I have gotten so I carry a stick and rustle up the foliage before entering. It is interesting, though, these cycles in nature.. Our area has had big swathes of clearcutting recently and I also wonder about the many ways this may have changed the ecosystem around us.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have lived at this same property for 30 years and I think I've seen a frog once and maybe a snake once. I might be imagining the snake though. [g] . There is no long grass in my neighborhood, just suburban lawns, and level properties without rock outcroppings, so I can't see much habitat for a snake. No deer either. But this year we've had an explosion of rabbits, and I've seen one vole/mole, one chipmunk and we saw a ground hog in the next yard, but haven't seen him on our property yet.

Snakes though, would not be something I would find easy to get used to.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago

Yes, plenty lots of garter snakes here as well! I generally only see them in the backyard garden area and they do love the compost pile! I don't mind them, having snakes this far north is a bit of a novelty, it's the only species to inhabit the region. I also enjoy frogs, though the snakes find them to be a tasty treat and have really cleaned up on them :(

• buyorsell888
    4 years ago

I have treefrogs because I have ponds but no snakes in my urban yard. I haven't seen any this year at the barn or trails where I board my horse that is more rural. Froggies have declined last couple of years, not sure why. Little ponds are not full of tadpoles.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’ve thankfully only have ever seen one in my gardens, and that was years ago. Hoping my luck continues Lol.

• kitasei
    4 years ago

I'm in New York, and have never seen so many snakes OR rabbits as this year - despite having a bobcat saunter by at 11 am. What's up?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

I saw one just yesterday slithering around in one of the beds. Fine with me -- although too bad he doesn't slither into the barn and feast on the blasted mice!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert