Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

...some blooms for today...

7 years ago

...most of these may not be well known... but they are all keepers for me... I'm delighted with them so far...


'Minerva' [Vissers...2011]


'Lavender Ice' [Tantau..2008]


'Scented Garden' [Warner... 2018]


'Lolabelle'.. [White 2007]


'Gabriel Oak' [Austin 2019]


'Mill On The Floss' [Austin 2018]


'Tottering by Gently' [Austin 2018]


'Monsieur de Morand' [HP/Bourbon...1891]


'A Midsummer Night's Dream' [Rawlins..2001]





'Bellard' [Alba/Gallica... pre 1842] with a scent everyone wants..


'Ghislaine de Feligonde'...


'Ballerina'...


'Armada' [Harkness 1988]


'Oranges 'n Lemons'.. .. I like whacky ones too!...


Comments (28)

  • 7 years ago

    What gorgeous roses

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, Marlorena. What variety you have, packed in there. I'm particularly taken with 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. What dark velvety loveliness. And you know I love your 'Tottering by Gently'. Where is the name from?

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, these are awesome roses, Marlorena. Scented Garden is new to me, a lovely name for an elegant rose.

    Bellard is the perfect pink bloom, the fragrance must be heavenly. Monsieur de Morand is a beautiful rose as well, wish it was available in the US.

    A Midsummer Night's Dream is incredible, it looks almost as dark as night, very intense...

    The blue cranesbill goes well with Ballerina. I have a blue variety as well, Johnson's Blue.

    I look forward to adding The Mill on the Floss to the garden next year.


  • 7 years ago

    All so beautiful!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    ...thanks so much.. glad you liked my photos today... I like to mix my roses up..

    Trish.. it's from a cartoon... a fictional name of a country house [Broughton Hall, Yorkshire]...

    ..it's a nice rose, the flowers are usually larger than I've shown..


    'Scented Garden' is proving one of my favourites too.. but they're all good..

  • 7 years ago

    These are such decadently delicious roses. Your garden fills all the senses, or so it seems, even though only my eyes are involved. You deftly mix all manner of roses to create the perfect whole

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, they all look gorgeous. Helen

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Lavender Ice and Minerva - Wow! And everything looks so healthy. Armada is a lovely color as well and such a pretty sitting area.

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, I am coming over. Get ready !!
    All your roses blow me away. The first pic, the second, 3rd...oh, my !!
    What gorgeous blooms and I can't pick. They all are BEAUTIFUL :)
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Very unique and beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I so admire your roses.

  • 7 years ago

    I love Mill On The Floss. I don't think they sell it in the US.... What size are the actual blooms. HelpmeFind says they are small but doesn't give a size. It is beautiful.... as well as your others :)


  • 7 years ago

    ...each bloom is quite small Sharon, about 2.5 inches across I would say... sweetly scented on warm days... I can't get enough of it.. my plant is becoming a climber, which is how I'm training it..

    ...thanks again everyone !..

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for sharing! Always a pleasure when you share a glimpse into your garden. You will have to give us updates on Mill on the Floss and Tottering by Gently since they are so new. Midsummer Night's Dream is really beautiful. Reminds me of Tuscany Superb a little. Lolabelle doesn't seem to be available anywhere unfortunately.


  • 7 years ago

    They all look great! I would love to have a nice cuppa at that table in front of a wall of roses. Always nice to see the collection you have. Such variety in colour and forms. I'm sure Mill On The Floss, will be very popular for its bloom form. I would love to see it when it opens more. Does it open wide or just go from a full bloom to a drop?

  • 7 years ago

    Ooooh! Minerva has such an exquisite color!

  • 7 years ago

    HalloBlondie,.....thanks so much... yes it does open fully, quite packed with petals.. and sometimes reveals a button eye... I'm not sure how popular it will prove to be.. I think people tend to prefer large blooms.... I like the flexible canes to do what you want with, and it's not overly thorny... continuous bloom... but there's always a new one to tempt us...

    Chris... thanks for looking at my roses today ...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Stephanie.. 'Minerva' also has an exquisite scent... it could be so special if it had better disease resistance... my jury is still out on that one...

    Cori Ann,.. formerly of this parish, alerted me to this rose, although it wasn't available in California..

  • 7 years ago

    Love every one of the roses Marlorena - thanks for sharing!

    I especially like the smokey purple of Minerva! One day we'll get Mill on the Floss and I'm looking forward to that one.

    Ann

  • 7 years ago

    If I might ask, Marlorena, in the photo with Armada, the second to the last, what is the shorter red rose on the right?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Ingrid... I'm delighted you asked.... 'Thomas a Becket'.. !... I used to have it as a climber, but now keep it as a shrub... it's not often you pick out a red rose...?..


    Ann... thanks so much, and for looking in here at my roses...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Marlorena, every time you post the photos from your garden, it's a special treat. I must say your 'Ghislaine de Feligonde' always takes my breath away. Thanks to you, I now have one in my garden and the other day the first blooms opened. It was the most enchanting scene I've ever witnessed in my yard.

    I am curious about your Harkness roses. 'Armada' is beautiful (and, yes, DA 'Thomas a Becket' that Ingrid noticed on that photo is gorgeous too) but I think you have a few others. Hope one day you'll tell us more about your Harkness roses.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I had a hard time scrolling past Minerva and Lavender Ice as they are jaw dropping but then to see all the others...amazing!

  • 7 years ago

    So nice to see Gabriel Oak! What a gorgeous bloom. How do you find the fragrance? (Although I suppose it is young, and perhaps still needs to grow into its ability to produce a good fragrance).

  • 7 years ago

    K S... yes it has a sweet fragrance.. none of that myrrh business... the colour is strong and stands out in the landscape from afar...

    ...vesfl/Dave.. thanks for looking in... delighted your Ghislaine is doing well for you vesfl... I marvel at it every day it's in full bloom... such a chameleon, loves changing its colours ...

  • 7 years ago

    Comtesse... thank you... I don't know the breeding of that dark rose, it's a small floribunda, masses of buds, so I hope there might be some hips too..

    M de Morand came from France but the others are local.. I like to try ones I don't know too much about.... thanks for looking in at my photos today... hope you are keeping as well as can be....

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, vesfl, I thought it might be Thomas a Becket, as Marlorena is one of the very few people here I know of who has that rose, and of course grows it to perfection.