ingrid_vc

Please Tell Us About Your Best Ten Roses

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
last modified: July 1, 2019

"Best" can mean many things but here I mean those roses that not only are wonderful in your climate and growing conditions but also have that indefinable something that has captured your heart and given them a firm place in not only your present garden but also any future garden that you're ever likely to have. In other words, these are roses that you wouldn't ever want to be without.

For me it's these ten:

Souvenir de la Malmaison - an old rose of great charm and beauty that blooms almost all through the year, with flowers that are so perfect as to seem unreal.

Aunt Margy's Rose - a perfect little rose on a large and healthy bush, with fragrant small but many-petaled flowers that have an old rose fragrance and bloom for most of the year. A gem of a rose that deserves to be more widely known and grown.

Bishop's Castle - the fragrant flowers are very beautiful in form and coloration and bloom with great regularity. The deeper pink color is a lovely foil for lighter pink roses such as SdlM.

Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux - a tea rose with elegant, thick-petaled blooms that are long-lasting and which need only a few flowers on the bush to make a statement.

Madame Joseph Schwartz - another tea rose, which blooms often and reliably, one of the few teas where I can detect a fragrance, and a simply beautiful white rose.

Wild Edric - an older Austin rose with deeply fragrant and sumptuous reddish-purple blooms, and a wonderful foil to white and pink roses around it. Sadly no longer available in the US.

Spice - a pretty smaller Bermuda rose, completely healthy and carefree, with pale pink flowers that fade to white and an unusual peppery fragrance. It would not be a rose garden for me without a goodly number of old roses, roses with the scent of history and memories of faraway places. That's just the way it is.

La France - one of the top five of roses I must have, large sumptuous pink blooms on a healthy bush, called the first hybrid tea but for me an old rose nonetheless, bred in 1867.

Aloha - beautiful large blooms with petals of great substance of pink and apricot tones, on either a large bush or a short climber. I grow to appreciate this rose more each year as it fills out and bears more of its luscious flowers.

Sweet Frances - not even a year old but growing and blooming with great vigor, with gorgeous peachy pink blooms on a completely healthy shrub. This rose is a charmer.

Sweet Frances

Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux

Would very much like to see your choices for the top ten!

• Ken Wilkinson

I really like reading what other folks grow and wouldn't be with out. For me, ten is really hard since I grow a little bit of everything.

LOUISE ESTES---This is the back bone of my HT's. Big, beautiful pink blend blooms on a tough healthy bush. Long stems, beautiful foliage and a really great scent. In my garden it has it all.

BRINESSA---This rose was given to me by a friend back in the early 1990's. Big, dusty pink blooms on long stems with foliage that looks like leather. Just a great HT in my garden. Sadly it is no longer available in the United States.

COMPTE DE CHAMBROUD---Soft pink blooms on a big, dense bush that is constantly in bloom. Strong scent.

ROSA RUGOSA ALBA---Wouldn't be with out it. Make a good very sandy loam bed. Plant it and get out of the way.

MOLINEUX---My favorite Austin rose. Soft yellow blooms on a nicely behaved bush.

THE PRINCE---Big deep red to purple blooms with a beautiful scent. Loves to be cut and brought inside.

WHIRLAWAY---Beautiful white miniflora. Big strong bush and dozens of blooms non stop all season.

TIFFANY LYNN---My favorite miniflora. Beautiful pink blend blooms on long stems. I've been growing this miniflora since 1990

RENEGADE---A beautiful red and white blend mini on a big strong bush. Stays covered in blooms.

JOY---Soft pink blend blooms on a big full bush that is in bloom all the time.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

I don’t have ten yet, but here are my 4 favorites so far.
    Golden Celebration with its super fragrant roses buttery yellow, slightly nodding blooms. Darcey Bussell for rich, crimson-red blooms and long bloom season, does well cut too. Reve d’Or for that one exquisite tea scented bloom my baby plant had this spring; I can’t wait for more. Excellenz von Schubert for such perfectly formed tiny purple flowers (the real scented thornless one from Burlington, not thorny pink Gartendirektor Otto Linne often sold as EvS). All four have extremely healthy foliage in my garden.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Let's have a Monday Mixer! Share your best vegetable garden tips!

This sounds like fun. But, I have no clue why I am responding to this as I do no gardening. I can tell you what seems to work for my husband. He keeps it small. Has a raised bed and tight fencing around it. He scours the nurseries for the best tomato plants he can find. Plants a variety of basil plants…yummy, adds fresh soil to his tilled garden and uses a soaker hose on a timer. Oh, and lots of sun. (Hopefully).

Your Best Tip for Moving into your First Home?

If your talking about the actual moving experience. go to the liquor store and get smaller boxes. They are not as heavy to fill and if you happen to have books, they are a boon. If they have boxes with dividers they can be used for glasses or goblets. The first move we made I wrote what was in the boxes so I would know where they go. That was fine, but better and faster to put a number on all 4 sides of the box (so you can see it no matter which sides is out) and keep a spiral notebook with the list of things in the box and the number of the box. JUST DON"T LOSE THE NOTEBOOK! (yes, that IS the voice of experience)! You can put the room name such as Master Bedroom and then a number so you know at first glance what room the box goes in. And if you should lose the list at lest you have the boxes in the correct rooms. Put your hanging clothes into large garbage bags with the hangers at top and tied. I like the "stretchable" bags best. it keeps the clothing tighter together. Group about 10 items together, depending on the weight. Pack your dishes with styro plates and bowls or paper plates and bowls between them to prevent them from breaking. Again, smaller boxes are best for dishes because of the weight. You can save the paper plates after to be used for eating if you are the frugal type. Cut handle holes into the side of boxes to make them easier to carry. Just cut a rectangle leaving the top attached and fold the cardboard inside to make comfortable handles The last room to pack and first to unpack should be your bedroom. If you don't get finished in one day, you at least have a place to sleep. The next should be the kitchen. It has the most packing and unpacking and you can get a lot of boxes out of the way doing it ASAP. Plus you can then actually fix something to eat sooner.

Tell us: What are your burning household etiquette questions?

I know you mean well, Angie, but I would not appreciate a registry that included gifts to a certain charity. Good for you for supporting it, and feel free to raise funds outside of your wedding, but I prefer to support charities based on my choice, not feeling pressured by a wedding registry. Re home improvements, I'm with auntthelma, I don't like being solicited to fund a reno, honeymoons, new home, etc with cash, but if there are specific items that will be useful to the reno, sure add them to the registry. I'm probably the wrong person to ask though because I generally do like to choose my own gifts rather than pulling from a registry. When I got married a billion years ago, our registry was mostly dishes and flatware and the like, and we still have and use those sets (both everyday and formal) lo these 26 yrs later.

What's your best $1000 or less DIY project? Show us!

AG I think you are referring to all who have posted. I have been patient furnishing my home in part because I try to save up before buying an item and avoid using credit for home purchases. I have only bought a few used items. I live close to an area with lots of antique / thrift stores where I have bought vintage china and I did buy a 1940's bookcase recently. It needed a new back, but was just what I had been looking for. I saw it back in June, but did not buy it till November - so yes patience helps prevent impulse buying. Most of my other furniture was bought new - a few inherited items. I look for my style - which leans vintage / cottage, so easier to find decor for that style as it is less rooted in trends. Taking your time will help achieve a more timeless but less trendy look. I live near an Amish community and have bought some Amish built furniture. All the artwork in my home was either a gift or I bought it because I really liked it. I have never bought something just because it was the right color - and I shop my own house. The cabinets in the kitchenette were in my garage. My daughter asked when we were ever going to put the kitchenette in and I told her when I could afford cabinets - then I walked into the garage and saw the old kitchen base cabinets - and it just clicked. I refinished an old "dated", but solid oak cabinet that had been stored in the basement, had a glass panel put in which gave it a different look, and put it in the powder room. If you have the DIY bug, learning to refinish furniture can be a great money saver. If you find you really do enjoy working DIY on your home and it is not a passing fancy, it helps to have a few woodworking tools.
  • lynne CA Zone 9B

My top 10:

#1 Eden

#2 Paul Nero

#3 Golden Celebration

#4 Queen of Sweden

#5 Princess Alexzandra of Kent

#6 Ambridge

#7 Scepter'd Isle

#8 Claire Austin

#9 Ancient Mariner

#10 Jude the obscure

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lynne CA Zone 9B
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Wow! You guys have some great top 10 roses.

As of today here is my list

Darcy Bussel

Julia Child

Olivia Austin

Twilight Zone

Easy does it

Crimson Glory

Memorial day

Pretty Lady rose

Bolero

Young Lycidis

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I'm patting myself on the back for having begun this thread, which is absolutely delightful in so many ways. As a negative it's made me want many roses that are your favorites and for which I have no room, but such is life here. On the other hand, your comments and descriptions, and the many gorgeous photos, are pure bliss.

Ben, I had to look up your Neil Diamond on HMF, and what you wrote about this rose under the Members Comments is fantastic. If they had hired you to publicize this rose it would have taken off like a rocket. I just love your style!

I can't thank you all enough for participating. You all, like your top ten roses, are winners!

Mme. Joseph Schwartz (when I had her previously, planted in a poor spot)
    Spice (also in a previous iteration)
    Bishop's Castle

• garden nut z9b

grandmothers hat, Elizabeth’s China, copperopolis bar, faded pink monthly, setzer noisette, baretta st bourbon, duchess brabant, Julia child, Irene ford, and rommagi plot bourbon or Florence bowers pink tea. dr. Rouges and oneto home saffron were planted this season and they have been been vigerous growers so they they could eventually be moved up to the top ten.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked garden nut z9b
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Ingrid, thanks for such kind words. But I must tell you: I whined about the naming of ‘Neil Diamond’ on this very forum, and to my surprise so many die-hard fans of the singer stomped out of the backyard to proclaim their undying love for him! So I must bow to Weeks’ greater knowledge of rosarians’ taste in music.

But I‘m still waiting for some other country rename the rose Neil Diamond, so I can call him something else. I have a strange distaste for naming roses after people in general. So in my garden, Chris Evert is labeled by her South African name, ‘Souvenire’, and Abe Darby is ’Candy Rain’. One of my gardening friends, who is very knowledgeable in Austins, took a look at my Candy Rain label and asked me ‘what in the world?!’ But I love the singer ‘Barbra Streisand’, so my rose is labeled correctly in her honor, ditto I like “Maria Callas’ much better than her American name Miss All-American Beauty. And I simply will not grow a rose named ‘Deelish’! Why is this rose ‘Sweet Parfume de Provence’ somewhere else have to so dumbed down for us Americans! We are not all like that, lol!

’Candy Rain’

‘Sweet Parfume de Provence’

’Souvenire’

Wild Perfume ;-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • Krista_5NY

It's difficult to narrow the list down, these are some of my favorites among the Austins, antiques and Hybrid Teas.

Stanwell Perpetual

Eglantyne

Sharifa Asma

Gertrude Jekyll

Evelyn

Beautiful Dreamer

Marchesa Boccella

Reine Victoria

The Alnwick Rose

The Generous Gardener

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

So many beautiful roses! Thank you for making an easy wishlist for me.

I’ve been thinking about this one since you posted Ingrid and this is hard for me. I have so many baby roses, some of which are still giving me juvenile blooms.

Obvious super stars so far would have to be Abe Darby, Star of the Republic, Sombrueil, Felicia, Cornelia, Distant Drums, Crepuscule, Devoniensis, Mrs B. R. Cant, and Munstead Woods. Ask me again next year, and who knows who it will be! :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Thank you Ben, for helping me rename some of my roses too. If people hadn’t raved about Dee-lish, I would’ve boycotted it just for the stupid name too. Now I can call her something much more suited to her enchanting self. :-)

• pippacovalent

I'm new to roses so this will likely change as I add more and new additions bloom but so far...

Carefree Wonder because it has been blooming almost nonstop and is bright and happy.

Quietness because the blooms are so icy pink and gorgeous and its it's been blooming like crazy.

The inherited rose that I think is Maria Callas, because it blooms a lot with such beautiful huge blooms that last forever and ever both on the bush and in the vase.

Francis Dubreuil aka Barcelona because the fragrance is amazing and the blooms are like velvet.

Distant Drums because of how amazing the bloom coloration is.

Gruss an Aachen because it blooms a lot and they are just so gorgeous and a bit different each time.

Compassion because of how it glows.

Felicia because of the charming clustered blooms.

The Fairy because its so fluffy and pretty looking with all the clusters covering it

The inherited rose that I think is Fragrant Cloud because I'm so addicted to the amazing fragrance.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pippacovalent
  • karengfawcett

My best roses that I love in Ontario Canada. I am not sure I have 10 but these ones I am smitten by:

Always and Forever Rose--bought this one and dedicated it to my mom. Didn't think it would last one winter but it has and every year it gets beautiful roses on it Got it almost 3 years to the day. This one I cut the blooms off it and put it in a vase in my apartment. That way it can also devote more energy to producing another big beautiful bloom.

At last Rose---this one is something else and is an orangey yellow. Has so far got 4 buds on it and one is in flower and the 2nd one isn't far behind. Smells very fragrant too at that.

The shield rose- this one is simply amazing!!! Never knows what the meaning of winter is. Survives wind, freezing rain, snow you name it and I covered it up with burlap. Is always the first one to get leaves on it. Cut it back to 3 feet high and it still grows like a thing possessed. Had spittlebugs on it but with a water spray got rid of them. Had almost 14 buds on it last count and one is almost ready to open. Bought this one for our 150th Anniversary.

Double Pink Knockout is the only one left of the 3 still going strong. Has 3 buds on it. Been through rose slugs and been transplanted and still is a real fighter. Was my first rose ever The other two died due to the water problem in the garden (red knockout and sunny) and the other one in the rainbow due to being out the front subjected to the salt in the winter time.

Blaze rose for proving to me that it can survive our winters every year when I cover it up with burlap and for the first time in two years it going like gangbusters with over 24 buds on it!!!!Don't care if it only flowers the once as I have other roses that do so. I can see this one outside my living room and bedroom windows. ( This is the At last rose btw)

Strike it Rich Rose- got this one last year. And it is in bud Will be a real looker when they open up. I think the roses are a yellowish gold color.

These ones are the ones that survived the winter. Curious to see how the Campfire does. Got a new Lizzie no buds on it yet. The peach drift rose is slowly but surely getting there. The other drift ones died due to the salt and being moved closer to the sidewalk not by me as they did that whole garden over again. The coral drift rose was amazing. So tempted to get another one.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked karengfawcett
  • karengfawcett

Was out this evening and got pictures of some of the roses except for the lizzie whom is still a youngster. Soooooo here they are oh the strike it rich rose is a deep golden orange with pink edges on it. Should be something it and my Always Rose I think are having this set to in whom can be the first one to bloom :) Bought 2 of the At last rose and both are in flower!!!! One is in the fellah's garden at one end of the garden and mine is near the other end of the garden.

• karengfawcett

Here is my double pink knockout in bloom and a 2nd one as well as 2 more on the way.

• karengfawcett

And this one is the campfire going squirrely. only had 2 blooms on it when I got it. Do these ones spread??

• karengfawcett

And this is my At last rose doing the same thing. This is the 2nd bloom First one has opened, bloomed and the petals are falling off it. But the last day of one bloom is the first of the next :)

• karengfawcett

Blaze rose giving me sneak peeks of what it will be like when it opens. Can hardly wait!!!!

Will take more tomorrow these will be in bud. Shield one should be open tomorrow.

• Protoavis z

I can't guarantee any future gardens given breeding and intended goals I have, I imagine all will be superseded at some point with something.

Dagmar Hastrup - low growing thick leaved rugosa. Probably the healthiest rose I've ever bought and doesn't sulk during extreme heat waves.

Gemini - super easy breeder, has low pollen fertility so any of the very numerous seed it sets and germinate at a very high rate without fuss are likely from intended crosses.

Blue for You - another easy breeder but also very healthy

Rosa Roxburghii normalis - i like the very high leaflet count and shape of the plant. It's hips also smell very good.

Rosa Rubiginosa - can't go past a plant that's never completely defoliated (in my climate...varies a bit based on individual plant, some feral plants lose all leaves some retain around a third of their leaves) with highly scented glands on its leaves.

Crested Moss - I really like how crazy the buds look as they are opening

I think thats it, everything else so far is a bit replaceable/interchangeable.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Protoavis z
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Mark_roeder

I concur with your naming of Lilyfinch’s new home as being in ‘the land of milk and honey’. I visit CA several times a year, and I’m always amazed at the health and variety of roses grown there.

Green with Envy,

BenT

(from ’the land of mosquitos and blackspot’)

• mojavemaria

Appreciate everyone’s comments, it’s great to see what does well in different areas. Lynn seems to have had better success with roses than we’ve had in Las Vegas and most of our 1/2 acre consists of desert plants but there’s always got to be a spot for roses! This list changes every year as I try to find roses that can endure and hopefully thrive in an environment not friendly to them and I’d be voted off the island if I listed all the “good somewhere else” roses I’ve shovel pruned!

Eugene De Beauharnais for being willing to bloom in the winter, smelling wonderful, and being always beautiful whether he’s a deep garnet or rich strong pink.

Barbara Streisand for being an really productive, smelling good and having lovely foliage even though it does take some damage in our summers.

SDLM for looking and smelling so good even though my plant is a wimp compared to so many others.

PJPII for perfect color, form, fragrance, and productivity. Too bad his second flush this year dried up in a heat Wave:(

Jocelyn a total wimp of a pot pet whose color is so great and unusual I keep her around!

Jump for Joy for having blooms that last in triple digit temps with single digit humidity.

Koko Loko likes to bloom and I’m a sucker for his tan and lavender colors, he does shrink and fade in the big heat.

Celestial Night impressed not only with keeping good color as it heated up but lasting quite well for a dark rose.

Love Song for lovely color on well mannered shrub that holds up better than many in heat.

Lawrence of Arabia is new to me but this bloom is a week old in triple digit heat, single digit humidity I’m super excited about him. Plus he’s got a cool name!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mojavemaria
  • Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

BenT,

CA - A BIG state- the land of milk and honey. Every time I hear or read that phrase, my thought goes to the Grapes of Wrath. It is just that, definitely, in some areas...

Lily is definitely in a good place for rose growing. I look forward to seeing images once she adds her touch to her new gardening space...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)
  • Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Your roses are beautiful, Mohavemaria!!.

I think I was always gardening in a different part of the greater Las Vegas area, which can definitely make a difference.

When we moved to Las Vegas, and I visited the local nursery looking for plants, the first thing the person told me was "roses thrive here!", and then they gave me a flier for one of the late Linn Mill's demonstrations so I could learn "how to" grow roses in the desert. That is where I started...

Las Vegas, for me, was great for roses, most of the year. During the Summer, I just expected my roses to survive, not push out blooms and a lot of new growth as they do in climates with cooler Summers.

Sorry, for my mini, that was a major (deleted) hi-jack, Ingrid...

• karengfawcett

some of those lavender roses are gorgeous but I am not sure if I can get any here that would survive our Winters here in Ontario, Canada. I was on the lookout for a George Burn Rose awhile back but I don't think the garden centers I went to was selling this one here. Mostly get mine from a Garden centre known as Terra or Lowes that is a 15 minute bus ride from here. Got my Always rose from there. Had drift roses there last Sat. in the Coral Drift one that I lost and awesome hybrid tea roses and the chinook sunrise. Nobody here got one of these?? They are drop dead gorgeous!!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I believe George Burns will survive in Z5. It's a very nice fragrant rose. I always forget about it until someone mentions it. You might check out mail order, Karen, for a wider selection. I wonder if you could grow Quicksilver?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • karengfawcett

Was so saddened to see my coral drift rose not last this winter. It was one amazing little beauty. Here is a picture I took of it. I think the salt from the parking lot and sidewalks got it. Then it was being moved from one spot to another without my permission to do so, to put in these other ones all of which died and never came back. The lady and I tried saving it by moving it out to the back but sadly it is indeed gone as no leaves emerged from it. May get her to dig it up and in its place plant a new one. I also had a popcorn one and it too went the same way. Had a peach one and was trying to nurse it back as it had survived the winter-- when the gardeners for the region came along and took it out of the garden

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

1. Firefighter fragrance, productivity, health. No, this is not the most beautiful true crimson red rose, but the fragrance lasts until the flower falls apart. Even after the flower falls apart. Healthy foliage, quick repeat.

1. Bolero fragrance, productivity, health

3. Molineux productivity, health, and I even like the weird musk fragrance

1. Belinda's Dream productivity, health, heat resistance

5. Fourth Of July productivity, health

6. Pink Gruss an Aachen productivity, health, charm

7. Julia Child compact habit, charm, productivity, health

1. Souvenir de la Malmaison a charm beyond all others

9. Bishop's Castle fragrance, productivity, health, fragrance, fragrance...

1. Snowbird: fragrance, productivity, health, beauty. What a gem!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

That photo is just iconic of Bishop's Castle draping the walls. Anytime I think of BC that pops into my head lol.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

hoovb, they're all beautiful roses, but Belinda' Dream and Snowbird are really special. It goes without saying that Bishop's Castle is absolutely stunning.

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

Seeing HoovB's Bishop's Castles, and noting the possibility or actuality that is on the DA chopping block, thoughts emerge... including sending/referencing a link for HoovB's image of BC to D. Austin, with the caption "and you are considering getting rid of this"??? Okay... maybe my parents let me watch too much Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing when I was younger... but Hoovb"s Bishop's Castle is spectacular!!

It really is a great rose in many gardens.

• debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9

My favorites are a mix of old and new roses, with an emphasis on old.

Mme Joseph Schwartz and her sport (or the other way around), Duchesse de Brabant

Pope John Paul II: amazing rose and the only one still blooming in July in Phoenix!

Romaggi Plot Bourbon: one of my very favorites

SDLM: of course!

All of SDLM sports, especially Kronprincess Viktoria

Fragrant Cloud: would not be without this rose

Devonensis: hard to grow but worth it

The Dark Lady: only Austin rose I totally love

Mme Isaac Periere

Mrs BR Cant: amazing rose; large for my suburban garden but worth the space

Love Song: so good here and a surprise she is that good.

I've lost count but these are some favorites that come to mind today.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Lynn, say it isn't so!!!!! Along with Wild Edric and Potter and Moore, Bishop's Castle is an Austin I would never want to be without. I realize that the Austin money machine has to keep churning out new roses and perforce old ones have to be dropped, but this one cuts close to the bone. I can't think of a newer Austin that is close in appearance to BC, although someone who grows more of them may be able to correct me.

Debby, that's a great list, I have or had eight of your roses (counting SdlM's sports), and the only one that didn't work for me was The Dark Lady which wasn't, being a bright, bright red in my garden.

• Lynn-in-TX- Zone 8b (Central TX)

I hope not Ingrid, but there have definitely been rumors. The same was said regarding Evelyn recently, but it is still here...

Spirit of Freedom is another beauty that is difficult to find. I have given up... for now.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Wow, that's surprising about Evelyn too. Perhaps it's just as well that I recently acquired two.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

That photo is just iconic of Bishop's Castle draping the walls.

Thing is, total dumb luck on my part. Bought three and had absolutely nowhere else to put them.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

That's what all the geniuses say, hoovb.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • karengfawcett

Finally can post the Strike It Rich Rose. Got this one last year. Wasn't sure what garden centre I got it from. Lowes or Terra. Was an award winner and can see why. The fragrance on these are awesome.

• karengfawcett

Always and Forever Rose came out again like gangbusters with 5 buds on it Is a hybrid tea Rose. But boy are these awesome. The smell is too. I can see why they are used by florists for Valentine's Day. hahah Earwigs here like them too not to eat but to take cover inside the petals. Showed them one at coffee one morning and there was an earwig she almost had a fit so took the flower outside and kicked the earwig out of it. Always check now to see if there are any in it before I bring it in the apt. :)

• karengfawcett

At last rose with 3 blooms on it Getting more buds I noticed when these 3 had finished and I deadheaded them last night.

• karengfawcett

Naturally too can't get by in not posting the blaze rose with this many blooms on one vine. I thought the coral drift was something else. boy this one exceeds it.!!!! Would you believe there are STILL buds yet to open on it!!

• mad_gallica

I'll start with Quadra (the Great and Powerful)

This photo is from last year, but the reason I call Quadra the Great and Powerful is because it has looked like this every June for the last 15 years. It also seems to have absolutely no knowledge of blackspot and winterkill, which for a repeating rose in this climate is quite impressive.

Then comes one of the early yellows. I have R. primula and R. hugonis. This happens to be primula.

They usually start around May 1st here, which means every cold climate rosarian who has the room should grow at least one. Otherwise, they have no excuse to complain about not having roses until June.

The black-light and velvet rose, R. moyesii 'Geranium'

The town highway crew has freed this rose from being overgrown by weeds so many times now that I really think they like it as well and I do.

One I almost lost to the great dog and vole attack, but it is (slowly) coming back, Hebe's Lip

And last in this group, Mary, Queen of Scots.

(to be continued)

• mad_gallica

(Having performed odd rites of sacrifice to the Houzz gods, here is Part II.)

A rose that (should) need no introduction, Rosa Mundi.

I have yet to see a photo that really does justice to it, and that is saying something.

Baltimore Belle

I think it was A. J. Downing who recommended this rose for 'the Esquimaux's igloo'. Among its other good qualities is it's relative lack of thorns.

The Apothecary Rose (it's the short one in the middle)

This is a very happy rose for one that has long been associated with medicine. The color and the flower form always makes me smile when I see it.

Applejack

Back when we had a local rose society, and a local rose society show, we exhibited. Judges are not supposed to touch the exhibits. However, one of the judges couldn't help groping this one to 'make sure it was the correct cultivar'. It is.

Juno

This isn't the most vigorous rose we grow, or the most floriferous, However, it is drop dead gorgeous. An exhibition diva of another era.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Mad, I can not thank you enough for posting these beauties! All of them!, but maybe especially Juno, a rose I've often thought of getting as a memorial to a long lost pet along with Pax.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

It was a satisfying feeling to see that some of you mentioned roses as your favorites that I already have, such as Gruss an Aachen. International Herald Tribune, Duchesse de Brabant, Mlle. de Sombreuil, Mrs. B.R. Cant and Mme. Lambard or will have in the fall (Reve d'Or, Bolero).

Mme. Lambard
    Mlle. de Sombreuil

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Beautiful roses, Ingrid, and beautiful hands I might add! : )) I'm a wee bit jealous over those clean nails!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

MadGallica, Baltimore Belle is wonderful. I just looked her up on HMF and she’s probably a cross with our native prairie rose and a Noisette. She gets big too!
    Ingrid, your Mme Lambard is so luscious.

• sabalmatt_tejas

It’s really tough to narrow the list to 10 as there are qualities I appreciate in nearly all of them. Since I grow ’no spray’ in TX- disease resistance and heat tolerance are tops on the list. Here’s the current faves:

Blue for You (and several of its hybrids)

Devoniensis

Eyes for You

September Morn

Geranium Red

Sweet Nothings

Twilight Zone

Chandos Beauty

Atmore Lamarque

Dawncrest

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • R pnwz8a

Top 10 in no order:
    Boscobel, LEH, summer romance, violets pride, easy does it, Belinda’s dream , fire opal, Julia child, plum perfect, love song .. pictures are also not in order

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked R pnwz8a
  • R pnwz8a

A few more

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

sabalmatt, I'd love to see your plant of Eyes for You since I have one that's just begun to bloom, and seeing a more mature one would be a treat.

Beautiful roses, R pnw, especially the purple/lavender ones.

• Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

My top 10 for color, fragrance and bloom in a cold zone would be:

Twilight Zone

Lady of Shalott

La Reine

Golden Celebration

Munstead Wood

Jude the Obscure

Reine des Violettes

Lemon Spice

Chartreuse de Parme

Etienne

Wish my garden was a few years older, but it has taught me patience.