Software
Houzz Logo Print
strongarm228

Painting oak kitchen, colors?

7 years ago

I am trying to decide weather or not to paint oak cabinets. New back splash in a solid subway, with dark granite and light floor it is hard to pick a color.any ideas?

Comments (34)

  • 7 years ago

    I wouldnt paint them, they look to be in excellent condition and very low maintenance. I myself would change the wall color. Maybe to a very light aqua, or light green. Since you have a lot of cream in there, I wouldnt paint it white, although, white would look nice with your counters and cabinets. The paint now, is a bit boring and blah. You have a very nicely done kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    I would not paint the cabinets either. I think you will really like the simpler cream subway tile backsplash - I know I love it in my oak kitchen.


    This is my wood kitchens idea book with both new and older, refreshed kitchens - maybe it will inspire you:)


    https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens


    I refreshed my oak kitchen with new counters, apron front sink, backsplash and under cabinet lighting. I love the under cabinet lighting. It makes a kitchen so much brighter and prettier - and it so helpful - especially with darker counters. It would be a good thing to get before the new backsplash is put in - easier for the electrician. Also, if you ever think you might replace the microwave when it dies with a hood, take it down, tile behind and put it back up, or reserve enough tile to fill in the gap later. I am short and not fond of lifting food up to an over the range microwave.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    A soft white. Your floor is the dictator. ..as is the granite. Don't reinvent the wheel.Get rid of the boob light on the ceiling, add some recessed, and under cabinet lighting while you're at it.

    There is NO sin in painting oak, as long as you get it done professionally , with doors and drawer fronts taken off site and into a spray booth, where a conversion varnish will be used. Same thing on boxes and frames, on site in your home. Get a pro, and pay for a quality job.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The cabinets are nice, I'd spend the money and energy upgrading other areas in the space instead. Replace the light and backsplash for now. The floor to me is the most "blah" and "dated" element, but that's a bigger project so maybe save up for that.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Jan, I have a professional ready to go. They are dropping off door samples this week. I don’t like the floor at all however the cost and process of removing is not an option right now since the great room that is attached is the same oak as the cabinets. I would need to replace the entire first floor. If I have the ceramic steamed and sealed the grout lines are not as noticeable.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    P.s. I love your style...

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Sina. I agree the floor is blah. Plus the backsplash Is too busy, the cabinets are orange in my opinion.

    I appreciate your comments.

  • 7 years ago

    The grout actually is the same color as the tiles. I will have it steamed and sealed afterwards.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow! Dimorap! That looks amazing. I love it. The painter is going to drop off samples of his work. This is inspiring!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks Susan! I am beyond thrilled with the outcome and the savings versus replacing cabinets and a full on gut remodel. Here's the before/after of the pantry area. Decided to get rid of the glass fronts so that I had more usable storage versus display. With your nice granite, pretty splash, neutral flooring and stainless appliances, painting your cabinets will be a fairly simple but dramatic update. Good luck!




  • 7 years ago

    Wow. What a transformation! I love the shaker style. Where did you get the doors.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks. The doors were made by a local (Portland, OR area) cabinet maker.


  • 7 years ago

    I would take everything off of the upper cabinets, add all cab lighting and paint the walls a lighter color before painting the cabinets. They seem to be in good shape, I think lighting will make a huge improvement!

  • 7 years ago

    Can lighting :)

  • 7 years ago

    Some of the best advice I ever read on Houzz was to address lighting in the kitchen before changing anything else. Lighting can do amazing things for your existing counters and backsplash before selecting a paint color. I am living in my third house, have painted oak cabinets in all three of them, and I have never regretted it! It has always been a big improvement.

  • 7 years ago

    Champ. Do you have any pics?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree the first thing is the lighting before choosing anything else. You need a lot more lighting in the space so check out getting LED pot lights no center light at all only pots 4” 4000K LED bulbs and then decide what to do with the cabinets. I dislike oak so I would have them painted but be prepared if done right by a cabinet refinisher not a house painter it will be expensive often almost as much as new cabinets in my experience .I think you need to really love how this space functions before painting the cabinets. I never suggest a DIY paint job if this is your first experience with painting cabinetry.If the layout works then the first thing I would do is get rid of that backsplash it is a dated look and simple subway tile will already brighten up the space and removing all the clutter will also help and forgt the stuff on top of the cabinets too.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Patricia!
    I ordered the lights per another’s suggestion. I have a estimate from a cabinet painter which I think is reasonable, they are bringing door samples so I can see their work. I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    Decided to go ahead with a professional to paint the cabinets. Choosing the color is the next step Looking at Ppg Moth Gray which is a light greige, or would plain old white a better choice?

  • 7 years ago

    Noticed in your photo that your door and trim are white...I'd stay white for cabinets. My painter likes to use Benjamin Moore Advance product.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Susan - I'm looking to do the same with my Honey Maple Cabinets. May I ask what brand/color you're planning on for your cabinet transformation?

  • 7 years ago

    Nora, I hired a professional who uses PPG paint, the finish is beautiful. The problem is deciding on the color...

  • 7 years ago

    I am thinking of a light or creamy beige white.

  • 6 years ago

    Here is what I did...

  • 6 years ago

    that looks great! Enjoy your new kitchen!

  • 6 years ago

    Nice update, looks great!

  • 6 years ago

    That came out beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    Susan, that looks so pretty! Is it a blue grey paint?

  • 6 years ago

    Nice color choice. Looks great!

  • 6 years ago

    Momofthree. Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal, it looks blue in the photo, it is really more charcoal.

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Susan - Sorry I just saw your response. Your kitchen looks GORGEOUS. We also had ours professionally painted, but went with B.M.s White Dove.

  • 6 years ago


    {{attachment:4186228}}


    {{attachment:4186229}}


    {{attachment:4186230}}


    {{attachment:4186231}}

    Here's my before and after. You can still see some traces of the old Golden Oak. Most of it went bye-bye but I'm happy with the results.

  • 6 years ago

    My before and after. You can still see remnants of the old Golden Oak but I'm happy with the results.





  • 6 years ago

    I love it!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner