Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

"In Commerce As" Mme Berkeley - true MYSTERY

7 years ago

This rose is a found rose, which when it was found was mis-identified as Mme Berkeley (accd to HMF) . It is listed as a tea, but as evidently no one has any idea who it really is, I question how that was arrived at - was it just because the true MB is a tea? I have 3 plants of this rose in my garden. None of them grow like any of my other teas. I am not an expert at all, but the small blooms, and the way it grows, remind me more of some sort of a hybrid china. The blooms frequently start out with yellow in the center, and medium/pale pink around that. They age to a much darker pink all over, which is a recognizable color shift of some roses as they age. I don't know enough to know what this color/age shift means. Can anyone comment on that? There is no or a very light fragrance, depending on what time of day it is.


In my garden they grow wider than they are tall, so that description on HMF jibes with what mine are doing. HMF says they do not do well in warm climates, so that does not match what is happening in my zone 9/10 garden - they grow well here. Perhaps they do not do well in humid warm climates? My climate is dry in the summers.


Anyway, I have become fond of mine when they eventually became mature. Here are some pics I took of one of mine this morning. On its own roots, no spraying (except sometimes that rotten egg stuff to discourage the deer - it is a favorite of our visiting doe).


Any thoughts or more knowledge anyone has about this rose would be very appreciated!


Jackie







Comments (7)

0