Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_708581180

Should IKEA vanities, sinks and faucets be avoided?

Janet House
4 years ago

I've heard the IKEA vanity requires an IKEA sink and IKEA faucet.

But a plumber I talked to said he's constantly repairing them and advises to stay away.

I'm wondering about other opinions of whether they should be avoided or not.

I had a specific one in mind until he said that.

Comments (56)

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, @HALLETT & Co., et al: I would so love to do a simple, custom counter on our Godmorgon for the master bath---if it doesn't greatly increase the price. Curious on best strategy on how that might be done? Should I just go to a slab yard with my dimensions? Or go to a fabricator first to see what they have to say? We still want to stay pretty clean and neutral, so I don't need a fancy material, but I think I need to push myself so every bathroom doesn't shout "IKEA," either. Thanks!

p.s. @Patricia Colwell Consulting, i remember that double sink and I loved that one, too!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I think you have to decide how much money you want to spend to impress others . I have no problem with using Ikea counters for the Godmorgon but if you want to go the other route decide what you want for the counter then find it in a stone yard and talk to a fabricator. Of course this will be more expensive so then it is up to you to decide where you spend your money.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, thanks and LOL, we are doing IKEA in all four bathrooms and most of the rest of our remodel, so not a whole lotta impressing going on! :-D

• Joe
    4 years ago

The vanity and counter are fine. They provide excellent storage but the faucet is cheap and the finish is marginal at best. I'd skip the faucet.

• PRO
    4 years ago

IMO with that many bathrooms just do Ikea maybe bump it a bit in the Master this is a picture of the Ikea kitchen in our old house , it sold the house and we did the whole space including appliances and flooring for less tham 40K that included the custom stainless over the sink area and on the stool counter backsplash.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Sharp! I'm not typically a fan of red, but that just might sway me. Kudos!

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Mittens cat, We used Ikea Godmorgon Va in all our bathrooms. We went to a slab yard and got the counter-tops we wanted. We got our own sinks and Delta faucets. The only think you need to be aware of is the depth of the sink. Because of the way the vanity is constructed you need a shallow depth sink. I will ask my hubby to take a photo for you to see.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood, thanks! I wonder how "shallow" is shallow enough for these? Also, did you float your vanity or do you have legs underneath it? I kept telling our GC to be sure to do lots of blocking so the vanity would be secure but I'm not sure if he believed me or what because it doesn't seem that he did more than a couple extra pieces of 2x4s. Thinking of the extra weight if I choose a piece of natural stone, plus sink, to place atop that cabinet. I really hoped to float it but maybe I should just use the Godmorgon legs (feet?) just in case...

p.s. I don't know why I need so much tutoring with this. And I apologize to the OP for taking this down a rabbit hole (though hopefully others might benefit).

• PRO
    4 years ago

If you are really concerned but want the look of floating get him to build a box that the vanity sits on but back underneath where you don’t see it unless you get down and look it can still be hung just extra support.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, great idea, thanks! I also ordered the metal legs for the Godmorgons, just in case we want that extra insurance at some point (i.e. if we rent the house). :)

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

We have Ikea floating Vanities in all our bathrooms. Our installer put an extra wood piece in the back to support. Nothing major. We have heavy counter-tops and not a problem at all.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood, thanks for that. Every little bit helps me sleep! :) Not sure why our G.C. initially seemed enthusiastic about additional blocking then later felt the existing studs would be enough. (He typically jumps on things as soon as he senses a potential issue, so I will have to trust his judgement and 50 years' experience.) Fingers crossed, I guess! :-o

Another rookie question: are the vanity and countertop wall-mounted at the same time as one complete unit? Or is the vanity mounted to the wall first, and then the countertop is mounted separately (with its own blocking)? I'm guessing the latter, but just wondering whether there are safer ways to help disperse the weight of a vanity, stone countertop + sink. (I'd rather not do an acrylic sink if I can help it.) @HALLETT & Co., perhaps you can tell me? :)

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

In our case the vanity was mounted and then the counter-top separately. The counter-top doesn't need blocking. It is just going to sit on top. Is there a reason you are concerned with the weight?

Do you have small children that climb on things? Just asking

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood no small kiddos, just paranoia, ha ha. Seriously, we may end up renting out this house, or using it for home exchange, so... I guess I can place a large sign saying: "DO NOT SIT OR STAND ON VANITY. THANK YOU!" :-D

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Vanity cabinet gets mounted first (Ikea uses a metal bracket- very sturdy), the sink sits on top (gravity is reliable, I added a silicone bead). In my case I hung the vanity cabinet and plumber set the sink after he installed the faucet to it. Regarding the blocking, you don't need extra blocking, just make sure there is solid framing where the cabinet attaches. There are only two brackets on the single sink, maybe four on the double (Sorry I installed the double sink in 2009 so the memory is fizzy...) so you want to make sure they are going into a stud. I advise you buy the cabinets now (buy one if they are all the same size) and assemble it. Have it on site for the framers and plumbers to see so there are no surprises. They are easy to assemble and install (I think easier than a 'standard' cabinet) as long as they have been planned for.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Thanks @HALLETT & Co.! Great to know. I bought four IKEA vanities yesterday (3 Godmorgons, 1 Fullen), during their 20% off sale. My GC is on vacation for the next 2.5 weeks, so I'm thinking of having them assembled while he's away. Despite my successful attempts at putting together other IKEA stuff over the years, I'm a bit intimidated about vanities since I always hear if they're not put together EXACTLY right, they'll never work right. I think our local IKEA assembler guy charges about $90 per vanity, which seems not too outrageous? (At least compared to my $24K paint bid yesterday.) Thanks again for the good input!

• Lisa Franzino
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood What sink did you go with and are your faucets wall mounted or on the counter? Having trouble finding a shallow and not too deep sink for my 39" Godmorgon. I am trying to avoid a vessel sink.

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Our faucets are on the counter. We went with 2 16" sinks. The sinks were the right size but could have been less depth. This Godmorgon cabinets are a bit tricky for the sinks.

My hubby is on a assignment but will have him photograph the faucets for you later. They are Delta single lever in Chrome.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood, nice! And we went with the very same Delta faucet, though in stainless steel finish, which I am not so happy about now. I'd thought the chrome would be too shiny, but now I feel the stainless is too blah/cold.

• Lisa Franzino
    4 years ago

@lindacottonwood do you know the depth? the marble fabricator said it needed to be less than 11 inches deep (from front to back) which is seemingly impossible to find-- but it looks like you have plenty of space in front and back.. I am going with a wall mount faucet now bc I couldn't find one so we had to open the wall and redo plumbing, which my bf is not happy about as he is doing the work.

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Mine is 11" exactly. If it had been any more the faucet wouldn't have fit.

The problem we had was the height of the sink. It came down too low.

Our trim guy cut out a piece of the drawer to accommodate the drain pipe. I was fine with that

since I didn't lose much storage.

Overall I am very happy with the Ikea Cabinet.

• Molly J
    4 years ago

I am going with the godmorgan vanity with legs and the Odensvik double sink - as it's for the kids bathroom and they are both still very little and it's the only thing that would fit in a tight space. I am looking for different faucets though after reading the reviews of the ikea ones - any recommendations there? I read that it's more shallow, but they only barely brush their teeth- what do I need to look for in a faucet?? thank you!

• HU-830771848
    3 years ago

Can't comment on the plumbing aspect cause our sink (Odensvik) was just installed in the past month and no issues so far (non ikea faucet with Ikea piping set up)...EXCEPT for some hairline cracks that showed up when my husband cleaning it with scrubbing bubbles cleanser. I think the cleaner chemically reacted with the stuff underneath the finish turning it a silver colour. We ended up finding 3 plus cracks using this method (unexpectedly). Ikea's willing to replace the sink but we'd have to remove it (after tile was installed around it) and frankly I'm thinking of leaving it's imperfection as a reminder of how priviledged we are to be worried about minor stuff like this. Wondering if others have had issues with hairline cracks in the Odensvik sink?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

These hairline cracks around a drain can be caused over tightening the drain assembly. That said I’ve never had it happen- this is my third house with this sink- hopefully it’s a fluke and you can replace easily.

• Mittens Cat
    3 years ago

@HU-830771848 wrote:

Ikea's willing to replace the sink but we'd have to remove it (after tile was installed around it) and frankly I'm thinking of leaving it's imperfection as a reminder of how priviledged we are to be worried about minor stuff like this. Wondering if others have had issues with hairline cracks in the Odensvik sink?

We have not found hairline cracks (yet?) and I am nodding in agreement with your comment above! First world, privileged problems, to be sure.

• lhlatimer
    3 years ago

Three of our bathrooms have Ikea. I love them! We used a custom top and wall mounted faucets In our master.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@lindacottonwood - your countertop is BEAUTIFUL! Would you mind sharing details? Also, do you have the brand information re: sink? Thanks!

• lindacottonwood
    3 years ago

dmac1108 Thank you! We do love it. The countertop is Ocean Pearl Quartzite. One thing is the fabricator put a color enhancing sealer on it so a bit more gray than the actual slab. At first I was upset but decided to embrace it and decorated with a slightly different hue.

I can't help you on the sink as it was from the fabricator's supply. We liked it better than most we looked at. There isn't a brand name on it.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@lhlatimer - your bathroom looks beautiful. Do you have information regarding the sinks you used for your bathroom? If not, do you know what the dimensions are? I am trying to figure out what depth I need to be looking for in order to use one of these vanities for a remodel of my daughter’s bathroom. Thanks!

• lhlatimer
    3 years ago

The IKEA Godmorgon vanities come in multiple sizes. I used two 39” vanities to leave a space for a sitting area on the middle. The countertop was custom made in cultured marble with custom molded ramp sinks. Above the countertop are three Ikea Godmorgon mirrored cabinets two 29” and one middle 23” with Ikea Godmorgon lights above each one. We installed led rope lighting under the cabinets.

Custom cultured marble countertop suppliers can make any size top with molded in sinks of any size or style you want. These are used often in high end European baths and kitchens. Don’t confuse these with old style cultured marble countertops With integrated sinks.

• Ingrid Berkhout
    2 years ago

Suddenly my Ikea faucets on Godmorgon, do not supply hot water anymore???!!!

Any solutions??

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

First I would reverse the hot and cold lines to the sink. If you now have hot water but no cold you know it’s the faucet. Ikea has a good warranty so that would be the logical next step to pursue.

• Masha Leuner
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am looking to purchase the Godmorgen vanities + either Odensvik or Braviken sinks. However, reading above comments it sounds like I should go w/ a non-Ikea faucet. Do I need to purchase something from Ikea for the drain? It's unclear whether there needs to be a separate piece of plumbing purchased from them? Thank you!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

If you buy the sink you get the drain assembly. Faucet is separate- any single hole faucet will work.

• lhlatimer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@dani_m08 Marble-Lite in Miami (Hialeah Gardens) did my countertop https://www.marblelite.com/store Free Shipping

• lhlatimer
    2 years ago

Marble-Lite in Miami (Hialeah Gardens) did my countertop https://www.marblelite.com/store Free Shipping

• manleytom
    2 years ago

I went with concrete integrated sink

Godmorgon is (was?) impressive in quality for Ikea

The width didn't fill the space, but as an unintended bonus, I now have a narrow cubby on the left side, to store a plunger and toilet brush

A number of non-Ikea drain fittings made a great adapter. I did need to notch the back of the top drawer, due to the depth of the sink.

• Ayelet Stuhl
    2 years ago

Thanks guys for great comments- have a question…
    We are attaching 3 23” godmorgon in our master. I realize yesterday that they are not deep enough. My hubby who is my contractor is willing to change plumbing to wall faucet. I’m trying to avoid it.
    Lindacottonwood - you mentioned 11” sink front to back. Is it 11” just for the inside of the sink, or the whole sink (which is include the extra pieces that undermount ? Thank you for your help

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Aylet what are you asking? I assume you are doing custom tops not the ikea tops? I’ve used godmorgan in my last two homes but always with the ikea top

• Ayelet Stuhl
    2 years ago

I’m asking what sink other used to customize Godmorgon vanity with quartz top and a non ikea sink. I understand that we need space front and back (to allow faucet holes).

• lindacottonwood
    2 years ago

Our sink is 16x11. We used custom tops and non ikea sink. Our trim guy had to notch the drawer to make room for the plumbing part. Wasn't an issue for me because we had plenty of storage,

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

I’ve done the same as Linda, had no problem fitting the faucet Behind the sink with the smaller standard sink my counter company stocked. They did have to trim the front and back of the sink flange before install but that took only a few minutes, bisque is much easier to cut than quartz!

• sandra E
    last year

Hi i want to use a non ikea black faucet does that mean the rest like the drain will be chrome? does anyone have links of faucets that worked?

• Ayelet Stuhl
    last year

I’m going to send you pics and the faucets we used in an hour

• Ayelet Stuhl
    last year

We used Delta faucet. Karran’s sink. We used 3 24” units and Ceasar Stone in pure white. My husband used regular pipes and just had to alter the upper middle drawer.

• Ayelet Stuhl
    last year

Sorry- it was Kraus faucet (tall).

• Ayelet Stuhl
    last year

Bought it on Amazon

Kraus KVF-1400MB Indy Single Handle Vessel Bathroom Faucet, Matte Black

• Ayelet Stuhl
    last year

The drain was black, pop up, bought it on Wayfair

• sandra E
    last year

ty for response! my plumber giving me hard time about installing so we'll see if I end up buying it.