Software
Houzz Logo Print
shoalducker

Question for morph....

7 years ago

Shoot me a pm some time please. I have some questions about the fries and true kelp help with humic vs a lot of the commercial humics popping up all over the web! Thanks!

Comments (8)

  • 7 years ago

    Why not do it on the open forum? Other folks probably have the same questions!

  • 7 years ago

    (Cough) We (Andy and I) formulated those to match the existing products on the market at bargain basement prices. And no, we have no connections with and don't make a cent from the companies that sell kelp or humic acids and don't care where you buy them, although I'm sure we both have our personal preferences (translation: we both have our personal preferences and are happy to state that fact. Mine happens to be Kelp4Less as I've had good experiences with them).

    But again, if you go elsewhere, I'm sure their kelp powder is just fine.

    I used to use Brambleberry for the SLS powder, but they stopped selling it because they wanted to offer a gentler alternative (I needed the specific chemical, unfortunately). So I turned elsewhere but currently have no specific preference on who you use to source sodium lauryl sulfate powder or sodium laureth sulfate powder for the soil conditioner.

    And again, it works the same, by observation, as all the others. Just at about a hundredth the price.

    The answer to "Do I trust my own chemistry?" is, I'm literally pouring four ounces per thousand of kelp and soil conditioner into the gardens right now as the Friday feeding (I'm off Fridays and am killing time while the watering system is pumping this week's feeding).


    How much and how often is a wide question. In poorer soils, kelp (and humic, although I consider the humic acid more optional) can be done monthly at four to eight ounces per thousand square feet if you want. In better soils, there's no need. Two to four ounces per thousand two to three times a year is fine, or even less. For the soil conditioner, I'd top out at 4 ounces per thousand 4 times per year in any soil under most conditions, assuming good rainfall, although you really can't hurt it at even far greater amounts.

    I certainly apply at greater levels in the gardens for both mixes, but...

    These aren't magic and the commercial products aren't magic. They should be combined with a sensible organic program to improve and maintain your soil. Eventually, the organics do most or all of the work for you. I use the kelp more as a hormonal booster in the gardens and, lately, more or less ignore the grass. It just doesn't need the help any longer. My organic feeding covers it.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks! Yes I have been using kelp4less since you guys gave away that special blend! I was curious seeing all the new companies offering products.....I am sure they are almost the same as the home brews. They just do the work for you.

  • 7 years ago

    After all these years of reading "Kelp Help", it never occurred to me you were talking about kelp. I thought the name was so cute I ignored the content. I believe yucca extract was also in the recipe, and I did focus on that. I sort of hate myself for misunderstanding that.

    Back in the early 2000s I searched for kelp sources and found a place in Canada that would provide it for the low low cost of $50 for 50 pounds with another $50 for shipping. I was seeing kelp on the shelves in quart bottles and found out they were getting the powder shipped by the pallet and then repackaging it into the liquid quart to be further diluted and applied. I see prices have not changed much. Liquid is still the most practical way to get it for me.

  • 7 years ago

    The original soil conditioner had yucca in it and I know some still use it. I removed it for the cost (taking it out got rid of 80% of the expense) but folks can still use it if they like. It does improve the workability.


    I get the kelp as a powder. 8 oz per gallon and bang, you got yerself kelp extract. :-) The powder doesn't go bad that I've noticed, so...

  • 7 years ago

    I should prolly quote the formulae while I have a moment.


    Source the following:

    For the Kelp Help:

    Kelp powder (I like Kelp4Less, but wherever is fine and you can get liquid kelp locally if you want).

    Humic Acid will help, but it's more optional and if you can't get it, or would rather not, just go with the kelp. Source, again, at Kelp4Less or wherever you like for the powder, or get the liquid locally if you prefer to do that.


    For the soil conditioner

    A surfactant. I get Sodium Lauryl Sulfate powder online, but Sodium Laureth Sulfate powder will be just fine (the latter is a stronger surfactant and more irritating to you, and of no greater advantage to the soil, all things considered). You can also just go buy bargain basement baby shampoo in the bulk aisle or Suave or other super-cheap shampoo in any scent you like when it's on sale. These latter items aren't quite as cheap or effective, but yes, they'll absolutely get the job done (and do smell nice).

    (totally optional) Yucca extract. It doesn't have to be edible.


    For the Kelp Help...

    In a gallon jug, mix 4 oz of kelp powder and 2 oz of humic acid powder (for Kelp4Less powder; for others, mix whatever amount of kelp and HA they tell you to in order to make a gallon of solution on the powder or liquid instructions).


    This is a concentrate! Apply at 2 to 4 ounces per thousand square feet in any amount of water is convenient (I dilute 100 to 1 in my watering system for the gardens, about 2 tbsp per gallon in the lawn). Overapplication won't hurt anything, but certainly isn't necessary. Repeat up to about 4 times per year.


    For the soil conditioner...

    If you bought the SLS or SLES powder, mix about 5 oz in 120 oz (just under 1 gallon) water. Let settle, which can take quite a while. Fill up to 128 oz with the yucca extract if you bought that. If you didn't, just mix the powder with 128 oz of water.


    If you bought the shampoo, there's no premixing necessary.


    Both are concentrates. Apply them at 2 to 4 ounces per thousand square feet in any convenient amount of water--but you'll probably have to pre-dilute the shampoo a bit to get it to run through your sprayer, it's a bit thick. :-) 1:1 with warm water tends to do the trick.


    Repeat 2 to 4 times yearly, but more won't hurt in very poor soils.

  • 7 years ago

    Glad you answered here. I also wondered about the high end concoctions. Good to know they all do the same thing