crittermom92

Young bigtooth maple dying- verticillium wilt?

Sam CO z5
last modified: July 13, 2019

I have a bigtooth maple That was planted last summer. It got overwatered last summer before realizing how poorly draining our clay soil is. it didn’t die completely, so I left it through winter. This spring, it leafed out and got loaded with seeds. Suddenly the whole thing wilted and the leaves got crispy. when Scratching the bark, it’s still green underneath. However, when I cit Off a branch, I found Discolored wood. Now I’m suspicious of verticillium wilt. I suspect It prob came on the tree if so. Are there any other conditions that would cause this coloring in the sapwood? I’m in the front range I’d Colorado, zone 5. Any help is appreciated.

It does look suspiciously like verticillium. That is the only common plant pathogen that will cause almost overnight wilting and decline. However, a confirmed diagnosis can only be done in a plant pathology lab. Best to take these samples into your extension office to confirm (or not) to avoid replanting with a susceptible species.

btw, VW would not have come with the tree. It is an opportunistic soil pathogen that is present in virtually all soils but remains inactive or dormant until stimulated into activity by various signals (like root hormones) from damaged or stressed trees. Poor drainage (as well as drought) is a major causal factor.

Sam CO z5 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)