Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

Question, is it me or............

7 years ago

Is it my OCD or is it not, this time of the year when the sun hits the lawn my lawn looks like wicked dark green marks almost dark, ONLY when the sun is on it when it's off my lawn it looks completely normal when I mow on an angle it always seems to look like this, I like going across personally.. I am cutting on 4 now the last few weeks from the heat, going to be 91 here all this weekend too... asking because I am seeing a little brown suddenly from the window but it plays tricks on you, also I get dollar spot every summer which is why I push the N but it's been 3 weeks and a few days since my last 1/2 rate and Ringer & yes I ripped out all my vinca flowers they just didn't do well this yr w all the rainfall...over it!!



Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    ... yes I ripped out all my vinca

    Because that was the first thing I noticed about an otherwise perfect looking lawn. This is absolutely your OCD talking. And if you were real serious about the OCD, you would call it CDO to put it in alphabetical order (my daughter contributed this).

    When was the last time you pressure washed your rocks?

  • 7 years ago

    The only brown I see in those pics is the mulch.


    I see you bought a non-kink hose like me.....which still gets kinks.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    dchall, I honestly do seee browning starting here and there I think its the dollar spot, Idk if I should treat it or not, I guess it's going to come back every yr the only thing they say from reading is to push it out by spoon feeding it with N, I am at the point I just want to make my yard into a huge japanese garden with mulch and rocks every where like in AZ Lol honestly my dad did it to his he does not live in PA but he eventually got so fed up! His yard looks amazing and NO grass to tend with anymore..its just NO fun worrying all the time when its really out of my hands, I do as you suggested I water @ 4am now, when I do water..Never night time any longer..and I pressure washed those ( were you being sarcastic ) Lol this spring

  • 7 years ago

    @ joe yes I Love it!!! so light and not heavy, I am def seeing brown spots, you can't see them in the pic, it's starting ...per usual every yr, Idk if I should treat it or not, I am so over this whole lawn thing, It's just not fun anymore as you know.. , all the lawns here ( except the real weedy ones ) have disease....almost every lawn..

  • 7 years ago

    I dunno, Lisa. I'm seeing a few cracks in the road. Might want to get on that. Seriously, though, you can only do what you can do and let nature take its course. The lawn looks amazing but in your defense I understand that photos don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes taking a photo straight down at a problem area shows it better. There's a reason there is a saying that the lawn always looks greener on the other side of the fence!

  • 7 years ago

    Not only that, but did you notice how the 2nd beam on the right is larger than the other ones and doesn't match?


    I mean, Lisa must be the laughingstock of her neighborhood......



    ;)


  • 7 years ago

    I mean really: if anyone thinks they have a better lawn than Lisa post it now.



    IMO she wins.

    Lisa thanked Joe BigBlue
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Joe ;) I mowed sideways last night, I don't like the way it looks on an angle, Personal Preference I guess, but went out this morning and took some pics in the early morning sunlight, and it looks so much nicer sideways IMO now since I am cutting on 4 inches it's getting that checker board look everyone likes BUT ME!!! Not a fan of those fancy lines but here are a few pics, the first pic is true color I went in the middle of the driveway to take it so the sun wasn't washing it out, going to Rain it's A@@ off tomorrow here then 94* Friday Saturday and Sunday, NOT looking forward to that at all I am def a winter girl now ...How is your lawn doing Joe? how is your weather been also? same as here probably



  • 7 years ago

    So far my lawn is hanging tough this summer....the preventative fungicide definitely helped, as well as the rain.....I would like to overseed with some good quality seed in September now that I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on things...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I will never understand overseeding? How can seed grow with NO topsoil on top of the lawn ? something that baffles me Lol but I def believe in core Aeration, and I may dethatch a litte too or rake it out myself I don't wanna put the lawn in shock from Aeration and Thatching, so I may just rake it out

  • 7 years ago

    Well my lawn isn't that thick at the moment, and by the time I pull weeds and the poa-ish grass out in August it will definitely be even thinner....plus, I'm going to round up some of the other mixed grasses that don't match....

  • 7 years ago

    @daniel yes I looked into it.

    I've only seeded with Scott's, never a premium blend. I believe the scott's had a fairly large % of weed seeds, and less disease tolerant seeds. On top of that, my backyard especially, is a mishmosh of various grasses that don't really match that I've never taken the time to re-seed. That combined with what I described in my other post leads me to believe it would be a good idea to overseed this September. I'm not going to nuke the lawn and pull it all up, more like throw it down and the patches that will be bare will benefit the most, the patches that have healthy grass will get an overhaul.....

  • 7 years ago

    @joe I guess if you have patches with no grass then you'll be fine. I was more concerned with simply thin areas that might not take to reseeding due to the existing KBG killing it off. One option I used when fungus nailed my lawn was buying new sod. I cut and pasted patches of sod as needed and I couldn't for the life of me tell you where those patches are today. It blended in just fine. I'm learning that the kind of KBG you have is less important than the environment you put it in. For instance, I seeded with a darker green KBG variety on the side of the house a few years ago. I took a square foot piece out of my sunny front lawn and replaced it with an equal patch of the greener sod from the side yard. I was curious whether the greener sod would remain so in the front, sunny, yard. It took a good year but I can say now that I can't find where exactly that patch of green sod is. It lightened up when it started getting full sun. I'm going to try and find it again when I get home.

  • 7 years ago

    Daniel I do have brown spots here and there, not sure if its fungal I see NO lesions and its only the tips it seems, so..I am going to apply Bayer fungicide to be safe and I am on the fence about doing a 1/4 rate of N to push growth, I may hold off on that not sure its going to be high 90's for 4 days all weekend so I may wait till next week when its 80 all week that is perfect weather actually. but def putting the bayer down tomorrow morning we are getting some rain from that storm tomorrow night

  • 7 years ago

    Here I took a pic now for you guys, there are NO lesions on this grass...idk what it could be


  • 7 years ago

    It looks like what I'm seeing all over the place this year--a minor fungus with no intention of spreading and causing too many issues, but taking advantage of the rainy and very, very moist weather we're having.

    Everybody's lawn seems infested with them but mine, for some reason, but they don't seem to spread, cause problems, eat things, or damage crowns that I can see.

  • 7 years ago

    I can only imagine what my lawn would look like this year without the fungicides.....

  • 7 years ago

    Lisa, I am gal with lawn envy! Wow. Can you say what you do to keep it in such good shape?

    Lisa thanked Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you! I honestly have been into this lawn thing since 2009 when we sodded the whole lawn, and been through everything since from Grubs, to Disease, to Drought stress bad, etc etc, I have done a lot of research, I follow the basics for my area and KBG, I think the key personally is mowing High it chokes out all the weeds, I don't even use a weed and feed any longer in spring, but I do have a little clover near the road on the other side of the fence I am going to spray this fall....Thanks for the nice compliment ;)