Software
Houzz Logo Print
marybeth_bentwood

Exterior renovation - what would you do?

I’m thinking about removing the railing on the front porch and just keeping the columns. Any thoughts on what else I should do brighten up this house?

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    The siding looks to be kind of a muddy gray on my monitor. A nice bright blue with whiter trim would look better. Remove the railing if local code allows it. Remove the shutters and wide trim around the door, replace the front door, beef up the current posts to be solid and square, increase the size of the porch lanterns (1/3 the length of the door, minimum.) Kill the sidewalk grass with a mix of 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epsom salts and 1/4 cup Dawn dishwashing liquid. Don't get it on the lawn grass! Is that some kind of vestigial portico roof above the front door sticking out of the porch roof? Can you remove it? Then find a nice pop of color for your door that works with the siding color. Lastly, rework the landscaping; it looks quite straggly and unkempt in this photo.

  • 7 years ago

    Hello! I love your idea of removing the railings...it would really open up the front of the house and make it more welcoming. You could place a series of large flower pots across the front of the porch, spaced about 3' apart, and furnish the porch itself with matching rocking chairs.
    In addition to removing the porch railing, you could have a lot of fun coming up with new exterior paint colors. You have a lot to work with - the siding itself, posts and other trim, shutters, and also the porch floor. Looking at your brick sidewalk and chimney, the first color that came to mind was a deep blue such as Benjamin Moore Blue Note. Using their images I tried it out and the pic below shows it with their coordinating colors. But, you could choose almost any bold color and it would look great.

  • 7 years ago

    Great input. What type door would you install? I agree 100% with both of your recommendations.

  • 7 years ago

    I think the wood look door the previous poster has on the color inspiration photo would be beautiful. Your home is already very pretty so this transformation will be so much fun to watch.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Are you getting a new roof? Looks like some shingles are missing. If so, before you paint, you might want to consider what your roofing color will be? Even if the roof is replaced in a year or two, I think the color of it and the siding should be in harmony so to speak.


    ETA: And I agree with Teddy. It is a very pretty home.

  • 7 years ago

    I think it just needs a bit more contrast with the shutters and door.

    It might be sufficient to only remove the first sections of railing on each side.

    It looks like you have a storm door so paint it the same color you use on the front door.

  • 7 years ago

    I added shutters to the top window. It looks pretty plain without any railing. You could use a wider walkway.


  • 7 years ago

    Thank you @emmearene9 and @groveraxel what app did you use to modify the photo? Both look great. Nice contrast on the shutters. I was thinking of removing them! Thanks for the your comments and recommendations!

  • 7 years ago

    Woops! @emmarene9 I spelled your name wrong. Sorry about that!

  • 7 years ago

    Cute house! I think I wouldn't change that much. Grey-blue siding maybe. A bright colored front door. Wider footpath. And lots of plants! (I'm all for less lawn, more garden)


  • 7 years ago

    @rinq I love more garden and less lawn. Thinking raised beds in the front with lots of vegetables for 2020.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The house looks like a person with no teeth smiling without the railings.

  • 7 years ago

    I see what you mean about the toothless appearance! It does look ‘naked’ without that detail.

    This is what I had in mind (see photo).
    Keeping the stairway railings. Removing the front railings. Extending the steps across the front porch, and keeping the side railings.

    Porch furniture, new porch lights, potted plants, deck floor stain, and a new door all become very important.

    Thoughts? I’m a nuts?

    What do you think?
    become key...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

    Properly sized shutters would make a difference. Agree with a wider walkway. Homes of this era often had low-growing plants lining the walk, just make sure your plant them such that, at their mature size, they don't intrude on the walk. Very nice, classic home.

  • 7 years ago

    Before you take the railing off, make sure it is not there to meet code in your location. Some codes are more strict about fall protection than others. The insurance and legal consequences of removing code compliant safety features vary by jurisdiction.