Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Best stainless sinks?

Sueb20
4 years ago

I don’t want to slog through a million threads In the Kitchens arena. I need a plain old single bowl 30” kitchen sink. Stainless. What’s your favorite brand?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Franke for me. I love the finish.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

We just installed a Kraus. Lovely, great quality.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

We have a Kraus. No complaints.

• lascatx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a KWC Matterhorn -- no longer made, but I like the quality. We put this Krause in my sister's house and the quality was really good. She was updating for resale so I don't know how it wore over time, but I'd have no hesitation getting the same sink for my son's new house.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

We have a Frank Pro 30" sink - 16 gauge.

• DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

We put a Zuhne in our new build. It's a nice sink, beautiful, very good quality, heavy gauge. But if I knew then what I know now I would have done Elkay again and would not have fallen for the 'look' of tight radius corners.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I think ours is Elkay. High gauge as they are ‘quieter’.

• rubyclaire
    4 years ago

Another vote for Kraus.

• localeater
    4 years ago

I purchased a Kraus for our new build. I got the Kraus Dex . I have also used Elkay. Both are very nice. What room is this for? Do you care about where the drain is?

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

We went with 16 gauge because it is thicker than 18 or 20 gauge. And for a 30" sink I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any flexing when I put my large Le Creuset dutch oven inside and fill it with water. I think it also helped to tone down the garbage disposer.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

When we were updating our counters, we used a place out of Toledo called MRDirect based on others from the Kitchen forum. Ten or so years later, the sink is doing well. Made onsite and very budget friendly.

https://www.mrdirectint.com/

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Local. This is for our kitchen, which is being remodeled starting in Sept. Kitchen designer just asked if I’d picked a sink. Uhhh, oops. I know I want stainless but haven’t had stainless in a very long time so was surprised to see that “quiet” is now a thing. Makes sense, though! Do I care where the drain is...another factor I hadn’t considered but no, I don’t think so?

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Yes, and I may have mis-spoken about the ‘high’ number being better. Whatever the criteria is, be sure to get the best gauge available because the insulation factor and strength truly makes a difference. Manufacturer, probably not so much.

If you are installing a single large sink, I would think a center drain would be preferable but maybe not if you plan to use a lot of large items and the drain would be in the way. I don’t know that it would matter that much to me.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Thanks, Lascatx. Just as I suspected, the side corner drain is just weird to me but I couldn’t put my finger on why. Personal experience is always the best teacher.

I have a dual sink with a large, deep sink on one side and a small sink on the other. Nice, but next go round it will be one large one. I already have a prep sink in the island, so why I didn’t do the single bowl is a mystery to me now except it was what I was accustomed to using. It is nice sometimes but only once in a great while.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Sueb, I think lascatx has explained the drain location issue pretty well in regards to things in your sink potentially sitting on the drain and preventing water flow. The other aspect is space under the sink. A rear center drain is better that a center drain, the rear orientation will leave more room under the sink.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! I found a Kraus online with a rear center drain that I like.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Yay! I was pretty impressed with how well it was packaged, I felt like I was unearthing a rare archaeological find or something.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Loved the Elkay sink I had in my last home.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

I have a 16 gauge Houzz sink which is great. It is also coated with something on the underside which greatly reduces sounds when using the sink.