Gavin John
4 years ago

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Comments (85)

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks suezbell! I'm with you on moving the 3rd pic

What do you all think about centering the bed on that short wall? Any better? I'd like to keep the window from being blocked at all by the desk

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Lorraine! I see your point. What do you think about the above layout? And id like to stick with the black, white, brown, green, gold scheme

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Desk seems to be higher than window frame in this photo

Peckham Hill · More Info

• hollybar
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You might consider putting the bed on the longest wall Not centered. About 18" from window wall. You don't have to have identical nightstands or any nightstand on that side at all. Keep desk where it is. Basically you will have created 2 zones in the room...one for work,one for play. & left enough space for yoga. How do you feel about any of the rugs in rooms below?

Transitional Bedroom · More Info

West Midtown Condo · More Info

Gavin John thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

A desk is only 29-30" high. Not to worry, I don't think.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

I'm sorry, just not fond of looking straight ahead walking into the room and seeing the TV off center and far right with a desk.... Not a good focal... especially since I feel you have another option. You will have to try playing.

Gavin John thanked LB Interiors
  • Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks holly! I like your idea about flipping it to the other wall and leaving some space. I'd like to save myself from buying another night stand too so that works out haha! I like the middle rug, not sure about adding blue into the mix though.

And thanks Lorraine! The window starts 24" off the ground, and the desk is 30" high. Guess that's not too bad.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

You have another option, I don't like as much.... place TV where we are thinking on entry door wall. Near it place the desk.... frees up window . Or place desk on left side of window. I just don't think it matters a whole lot. It's just a better wall for TV and/or desk

However, I still prefer breaking up the TV and desk, by placing desk at window.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Can you draw the Floor Plan I'm thinking?

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

P.S. A bed wall is supposed to be the 'pretty' wall :)) It's what captures your eye right opposite the entry to the room. Sets the mood and feeling for the room, through the use of bedding, end tables, lamps, and art.

Villages of Herndon Mills Model Home · More Info

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Gavin,totally agree about no more colours than your original brief, I just wanted to get a better idea of your style ;-)

Gavin John thanked hollybar
  • Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I totally agree with you Lorraine. Hows this one? I'll make another with the bed centered and the desk next to the tv stand as well

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Heres the bed centered. I wonder if it'll be too cramped with the desk...

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Maybe 1st one but switch desk and bed. Bed closer to bath wall.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

2nd is my faav,,,, you know though :)) .... desk at center of the window. Desk will look odd if it overlaps the window and the wall.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like it too but with the desk directly under the window it might be tough to get the chair in and out.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

If desk goes at the window, you could possibly move the bed off center toward the bath wall, as well as TV accordingly. I think I would center it 1st, Put mattress in the spot, place desk and chair at window, then live with it for 1/2 hr - 1hr.. Then slide mattress closer to bath. Leave desk at window. See how it feels. And how to use the desk.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good idea. Ill try it out! The rug should stay centered in the room regardless correct?

• happyleg
    4 years ago

If desk at window/wall u can add art or shelf on wall.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

What are the dimesions of your desk? What have you purchased so far? And NO, the rug does not need to be centered in the room. In fact, this might be a case where you purposely don't want to do so. You might even be able to purchase a marginally smaller rug;-)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

#3. Option.... Center bed on focal wall, TV opposite

Place desk catercorner angled, at the left of the window. Not my fav but might work for you.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everything in the floor plan is to scale. The surface is 19" by 44" and its 30" high. I haven't purchased anything aside from the bed frame and desk lamp.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

The rug is centered to the final spot for the 'bed'.

Gavin John thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Is this the desk ? 19" by 44" and its 30"

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes that's the desk! I think I like this plan the most so far. I shifted the rug down to stay centered with the bed.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

So.... if you use the desk as night stand, (in which case I would put it on the left side of the bed near the widow side of room) problem of desk at window - solved. Hmmmm. Desk might be too high next to the bed? I know it will be higher than average. Did you say the bed was a low profile frame?

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yea the bed will be 17" from the floor to the top of the mattress

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Yes, try the last one posted, then try one floor plan with the desk at window. Observe the feeling and affect you get walking in and out of the room.

Step out of the room for each plan for 10 min. Then go back in.

Same for 2nd floor plan. See which one feels better.

You still might not get the full affect until the mattress and bed are assembled.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

I had to do that once too! It has a plus, pillow stays on bed.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Wow... ok 17" is low. Too low for a desk as a night stand. So scratch that idea.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Now it makes me envision a tall desk as soon as you walk in, that is to the right .... then visually dropping the eye to 17" . hmmm a bit choppy transition....

..... whereas if the desk was farther away from the entry door, the feeling walking in, would be different. I think the room will feel bigger and more spacious, with the desk at the window side.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

True that was on my mind too! I might actually move the desk out to the living room

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Whoo hooo. Desk problem - solved!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Will the desk moved to living room .... your next dilemma project (ha ha) will desk be an issue for placement there?

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Do you have a TV in the Living Room also? As well as the bedroom?

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Is desk used for paying bills? as a computer desk? or ?

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha! I think there will be a TV in the living room as well. And I use it mainly for school work

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I just read your entire thread. I definitely agree that the bed should be on the long wall opposite the door. You want space on either side for making the bed and, if you follow feng shui at all, the bed should always be facing the door for the best sleep. If you want the desk in the room, why not put it on the wall opposite the bed and mount the t.v. on the wall above it on an articulating mount? That would let you keep the desk in the bedroom if that's where you want it and eliminate the need for a t.v. stand.

Gavin John thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Ok so what you think?

Larger TV in Living Room for you and guests.

Desk in Bedroom where TV was going.

Smaller TV in Bedroom - mounted on the wall near entry door

.... or..... Small TV on the desk in the Bedroom

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Good point 'katinparadise' that can work too.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

I'm thinking 'Gavin' was wanting TV stand for the components. But that can be worked out.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Katin! I like the feng shui tidbit, didn't know that!

I'd love to wall mount it but I can't since it's a lease. They charge about $20 for every hole they find in the wall hahah

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

If you don't want to wall mount, then I think your last layout with the desk between the two doors is the best option.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

How long you plan on being there? Divide $20. by the months.. Will it be worth it? Probably, sounds it to me.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Art is easy to hang now with those strips. No holes there.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Wow 'katin' that hanger is cool!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Thanks. I thought it may keep the size of the holes to an easily repaired minimum.

• Gavin John
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Kat! Didn't know they made those kind of wall mounts. And yeah I had a few from earlier Lorraine! I'll email you!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

How is your project coming? Have you moved in yet?