Software
Houzz Logo Print
maryteelcastillo

Master closet redesign

7 years ago

I hate my master closet! I currently only have shelves and wood closet rods. It's basically a mess. I am planning a redesign and would like some advice.


The design I've come up with (using Martha Stewart closet units) is pictured. Walls F and I are corner shelf units. Those are the only kind of corner units in this collection, and I figure I can use them for things like handbags, hats, and shoes. Walls A and C are mirror images of each other, with a full shoe tower, a drawer/hanging unit, and a double hanging unit.

Wall B is more hanging and drawer storage. I love the idea of a shoe tower because currently, we store most of our shoes on the floor, which is a mess. I want drawers to organize the clothes (we ditched our dresser) and to tidy up the space.



I have this vision that this new design will enable us to get things off the closet floor, which will make vacuuming a lot easier. The drawers will keep things neat. Am I deluding myself? Is there something else I should consider before taking the plunge? I'll be doing the installation myself, so I really want to make sure I get the most out of it. So what do you love about your closet? What do you hate?


Comments (4)

  • 7 years ago

    Seems like a good design. Just one thought: I like to have a bit of flat space in my closet, like the surface of a low dresser. It comes in handy when I'm putting clothes away or folding something, or just need a place to set something down so I don't have to put it on the floor. I don't see that in your closet design since you have hanging rods above all the dresser space. I'm not a big shoe person, so that's where I might eliminate a shoe shelf or two and substitute a counter-height or bar-height flat surface with a bit of space above.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I agree the flat surface somewhere is a good idea and I have tons of shoes so I have a shoe tower .I also found that I needed a lot of long hanging space because I am a female and I wear dresses and longer coats often. My husband on the other hand uses almost all double hanging space with his shoes underneath on racks that pull out I think it is really important to take stock of what you need for each person if there are 2 of you.

  • 7 years ago

    Keep in mind that you won't be able to see about 18" of each side of "B", because they are hidden between A and C. If you want that space for out of season or rarely used clothes, that will be perfect - but if you are expecting to use the entire B side, you might end up disappointed.


    One potential solution is to shorten the A and C components. Have you measured your clothes, to know exactly how much hanging/drawer space you need?

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for your responses!


    I've continued to play around with the design, and I found ClosetMaid Impressions and decided I liked the look of their product more than the Martha Stewart, and the cost is about the same.


    My new layout isn't drastically different. Again, walls A and C are mirror images of each other. I removed the corner shelf units because one would have interfered with the closet door, and I'll need space to store a laundry hamper on the floor for dirty clothes.


    I'm considering the flat surface. On A and C, I could put shelves above the drawers, leaving space open. I am just cautious about flat surfaces because I share the closet with a spouse who loves to fill flat surfaces with clutter. :-(


    I am cognizant of the need for space in the corners. If I decide it's too cramped, I can shorten the double-hanging space during installation.


    There will be a bench in the middle of the room for sitting while you dress.






Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner