Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_791999867

help!!! am I being too picky or should I be upset? bad granite install

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone. I really really need some help/advice before I drive myself into a crazy house.

Am I being too picky or would you be upset about this granite install too? If you look at the first photo does the countertop look like it isn’t totally straight to you? I drew on the photo where the seam is where to me it looks like there is an indentation/wave. Our corner radius’ are off as well but I can live with that, it’s the fact that right in the middle of the countertop it looks uneven which makes me notice that the corners aren’t straight either. The second photo shows this as well where you can see that where it was seamed isn’t flush because you can see light through the gap. Third photo is a pic of the seam up close and fourth is a photo of our entire kitchen. Also. The overhang of the granite throughout the whole kitchen also varies by 1/4-1/2 Inch. In one section the overhang will be 1 & 1 /4 inch, and in the next it will be 1 and 1/12 with the most being 1 and 3/4. This obviously isn’t noticeable from far away but I just feel like all of the overhang should be even throughout the space.

Am I being too picky?? Do you guys think this looks good? The issue is number one I got the last two slabs of this granite, period. I searched for this granite for over a YEAR, finally found someone who had it and found a fabricator who I thought was amazing considering their 5 star reviews and thousands of photos showing their quality of work that impressed me. Now that the countertop is cut, obviously nothing can be done about the cut but I’m wondering if someone could come reconfigure it to make it even. Do you think that it was just installed poorly and could potentially be re set by a better installer?? Or Is it shotty work all the way around?

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?? I love my actual stone so much and don’t have the money to get new countertops and honestly even if I did have the money, I can’t get this granite again :( please help!!!








Comments (148)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Does this leave you with the impression the 5 star reviews were purchased?

  • 7 years ago

    It does, for sure. But the five star reviews were on Facebook and the people who left them were legitimate people! Not just random “google people” lol.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    And? What exactly is a legitimate person on Facebook ? Local is better . In person is better, and the Internet can't guarantee anything.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm glad you have someone else coming to fix it. It does look like the wall behind the faucet bows toward the sink, but that could just be the angle of the photo.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, never trust the internet...especially help forums.......................I like your stone and kitchen, very nice. Good luck with the repairs.

  • 7 years ago

    The wall is bowed HORRIBLY behind the kitchen sink. You are correct tqtqbw. Thank you for the well wishes everyone.

  • 7 years ago

    ...

  • 7 years ago

    Well- since this thread got so much attention I figured it’d be perfect to ask some backsplash opinions while I wait for my granite to be fixed. What do you all like better for a backsplash?? Other options appreciated as well! I am no interior designer, lol ;)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    i like both but like the second a little more. The light grout seems to match the lighter part of the granite to me and i like that its a bit more reflective.

  • 7 years ago

    I like the top pic best. I would avoid a light grout with a dark tile (as shown in the lower pic) because it really conflicts with the granite.

  • 7 years ago

    tilebar, eh?? I like them both. want some other suggestions?

  • 7 years ago

    Sure! Would love other suggestions. I did try light cream tile- had my heart set on a lighter creamy color backsplash before the granite was even installed and it sticks out like a sore thumb! Definitely not what I was expecting :)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I actually like the darker choices, but I would suggest doing them in a vertical layout so it doesn't compete w/the movement of your granite. your granite veining is also vertical. when you put up the horizontal tile, it's visually busy looking. try this layout

    vertical offset/stack
    vertical stack

    vertical offset



    these hex are from Encore Ceramics it's the Mercury metallic blend called Rodin Kiss Hex. it's 'kissed' w/the copper color


    it would look similar to these, but larger. these are a picket style in matte

    another poster on here did Basalt tiles. and she sealed them to enhance the color. I love Basalt. comes in all shapes. you could set these vertically as well


    this is a 45 degree herringbone. you could also try this one (not in white though)

    and how a black fish scale would look w/white grout

    another layout


    and Horizons in Driftwood or black would also be nice

  • 7 years ago

    Wow!!! Those are such neat suggestions I never would have even thought of. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them for me, I really appreciate it. The horizons tiles that you posted are GORGEOUS! I love the colored ones, although they obviously wouldn’t work for me they sure are beautiful to look at!! Thank you so much

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    yes they are gorgeous. and the price? lol. about 7-8 bucks a TILE! so, save up!


    Maggie,,what was the final result of the patch job from those last hacks?

  • 7 years ago

    After reading this I feel for you and I’m not sure a patch job will fix issues. Looks like a new slab to start over.

    I did a remodel last year and had a kitchen designer. I’m so thankful because he had me visit his vendor for my counter ( allowed me to see slab against sample doors in my finish). He was on site for cabinet delivery and checked order, he was at my home during template and install. In the end I think god I had him so I had no issues. I wish every contractor had such pride in the finish product

    Word to you, don’t settle as a kitchen remodel is very expensive. You need to be happy with the results. I wish you much success in getting issues fixed.

  • 7 years ago

    Beth- he is coming Saturday. (Another company) so I will post some updated photos once it’s all “fixed” which I hope he can fix! Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

  • 7 years ago

    I hope this second person knows hat he’s doing. I’m so sorry you’re having this much aggravation around your kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    I posted this in another thread too. this is called gaudi hex. comes in different colors. I like the idea of going bold or different than your basic subway. I didn't play it safe and thrilled with the outcome. can find online.

  • 7 years ago

    This is for anyone having things done around their house: If you have an issue with workmanship or installation, do not hesitate to call for an inspection by the owner, tell him you want things adjusted, and wait for him to offer to correct it. As a homeowner, you can recommend their company or not, and they know it. But the longer you take to address the problem, the sooner they will think they don’t need to fix anything. Time is your enemy. If you are not there to reject it on the day of installation, start working on it the same day or within two days. It becomes even more difficult if you have paid for the work. Withholding money or cancelling a credit card charge or a check will get their attention. Take photographs to verify your complaints.

  • 7 years ago

    He’s here fixing it now! Wish me luck everyone fingers crossed

  • 7 years ago

    Hope he can get it fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    Well the one big black mark is fixed beautifully! He’s going to start working on the uneven edge soon.

  • 7 years ago

    That's awesome. So far, so good. Did he ask what company installed the countertop?

  • 7 years ago

    What do ya think?!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Even without a straightedge held to it, I'd take that.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Great! Glad you found someone to address these issues.

  • 7 years ago

    Very nice fixes. Now that it looks like it was fabricated right to begin with, don’t go telling all who come into your kitchen how it used to look! :-) and definitely recommend The Fixer with high ratings.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all so much!!!! It makes my heart happy that my dream granite is now fixed. :) it may not be 10000% perfect but to everyone who doesn’t know what was wrong to begin with- it’s pretty perfect!

    Yes, Weathy! Agreed, LOL! I’m going to walk around like that never even happened and leave them the best review they have ever received!!! ;)

  • 7 years ago

    Looks fantastic. Enjoy your beautiful counters.

  • 7 years ago

    Wonderful save, your fixer is to granite what Joe Corlett is to estone!

  • 7 years ago

    That looks like an excellent job. At least good enough no one will ever know. So happy for you.

  • 7 years ago

    Jan was right again! She bet this would become a "nothing in two weeks" ..Now it is after the Fixer,, way to go.....

  • 7 years ago

    Maggie: Now it looks great. And it’s a gorgeous piece of stone. Hopefully the bad part will fade and you’ll enjoy your new kitchen. Happy Ending!

  • 7 years ago

    tell us just how he fixed it. I want to know how you get the bend out of rock!

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>my stone sort of like yours. only not I guess. what's the name of your stone? I looked at thousands
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much!!!

    Donna- he basically had to re cut the entire left front edge (if you’re looking at my sink head on) and feather it out for it to meet the right side. Then he had to Re polish it all again.

  • 7 years ago

    It’s called “golden thunder” :)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Maggie. So glad you pursued getting this fixed. It looks great and you can breathe again. It pays to push for what you want. You will smile every time you walk into your pretty kitchen now. Congrats!

  • 7 years ago

    maggie, looks good.

    is your sink new? I've had mine for about 14 years and still love it. have you waxed it to slow down the patina? (it also helps repel water and stains). i'm sure you've noticed that anything acidic will turn the copper into a 'shiny penny' color!

    i use bar keepers cleanser (the powder one) to scrub and clean

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Beth! I actually have no idea how to care for a copper sink so any help would be greatly appreciated. What kind of wax do you use? And how to you use it? I have already noticed where the granite meets the sink it’s starting to turn a greenish color so I scrub it every time I notice that! I’ve heard great things about that bar keepers power stuff.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    the wax I got was from the place where I bought it. they also sell it.

    https://www.coppersinksonline.com/wax/renaissance-wax


    https://www.coppersinksonline.com/copper-sinks-maintenance


    yes, you will get the green stuff. no big. just scrub it. I do wonder why they left you such a reveal. you will forever be scrubbing that little lip area. Seems like they cut the sink opening too large. (but after seeing how they messed up the rest of your countertop, it's not surprising. you really should get a discount on that fabrication)

    when they did mine, I have no reveal. it's flush w/the countertop

    (this isn't mine) they should have done yours like this


    barkeepers scour cleanser will take off all of the brown patina and return it to new looking copper. if you don't apply the wax, the brown returns within 2 weeks or so. If you apply the wax at least once a month (or when water doesn't bead any longer) you will slow down the patina. Sometimes I leave it, and sometimes I scrub the heck out of it. my son always throws lemons in the sink so I get shiny patches where the acid hit it.

  • 7 years ago

    Awesome thank you Beth I’m going to get on and order some of that wax so I can keep the sink looking great and shiny new! I don’t mind a little patina as I think it adds character :) I never thought I would be able to afford a copper sink but amazon had one that someone returned for 1/3 price and it was brand new! Just a customer return!! :) so I def want to keep it looking as great as possible I appreciate the help and suggestions!!!

  • 7 years ago

    Joe Corlett- I meant to ask you, how do you feel about Seams over a dishwasher? There is a “cleat” on our back wall (I think that’s what he called it) and some metal L brackets that they (original installer) attempted to mount under the seam to our cabinets- but the seam is about 2 inches over our dishwasher. The person who came into fix the edge said that that will be a huge issue down the road which really scared me, again :( just as I started to get happy about my kitchen being fixed I looked into what he said and it seems so many people are saying that you should never seam over a DW....

  • 7 years ago

    Your counters are gorgeous. Enjoy your kitchen and don’t stress about that seam.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I've seamed over dishwashers in solid surface and estone and have never gotten a callback. Modern dishwashers are highly insulated and methacrylate adhesives aren't going to be affected. This just isn't something to worry about.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks so much for the reply, Joe & Lizzie. I really appreciate it & also glad to hear it isn’t something to worry about.

  • 7 years ago

    Never think so of yourself. Then almost every person is crazy in his own way. I like your tabletop as it is. I just would have chosen another. Which would be combined with the color of the walls. But everyone has their own taste.

  • 7 years ago

    My opinion of the tile ... Whatever you put in, I would not use a contrasting color grout because then that pattern would visually be competition to the granite. That granite is beautiful so I would use a more subtle approach to the backsplash so the focus is on IT. Otherwise with competing patterns, too busy, the eyes would jump around with the brain trying to figure out ... where is the focus supposed to be?

  • 7 years ago

    The FIX looks wonderful!!!