Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"Jesse Hildreth" (Just because it's pretty)

7 years ago

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    What a beautiful photo of Jesse! Mine is doing great here. The foliage is so beautiful too.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, how crystalline white those petals look!

  • 7 years ago

    In reality, there's a strong wash of yellow, particularly as the blooms open. One way or another, what ever it is, it has to be related to the lost "Smith's Yellow", and so related to several yellow-tinted roses we DO still have.

    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.19569.2

  • 7 years ago

  • 7 years ago

    I am sooo jealous! My JH has tiny little blooms and he's being nibbled despite two kinds of barriers around him. Seeing these pictures makes me want to keep trying, though.

  • 7 years ago

    It looks like a bridal bouquet, or wedding cake confection... gorgeous.

  • 7 years ago

    Very beautiful! I noticed Huntington put in a brand new baby JH in their tea garden last fall. I am keeping an eye on it, but haven’t seen any blooms yet. They also added Mel’s Heritage, and it will be interesting to see what happens with it since they choose the smallest trellises spot in rose garden for it (maybe 8 foot tall and 5 foot wide). It was probably just the only spot available without moving a rose. But after seeing Lisa’s.....

  • 7 years ago

    I ought to add ... Though "Jesse Hildreth" has the potential to be a big plant, it's going to take its own sweet time growing substantial roots before it does it. And for the first couple of years, it will likely grow flat and low, before it begins to go up.

    It did that in the Sacramento City Cemetery Historic Rose Garden, and it did it in my garden, so I think that is its pattern.

  • 7 years ago

    What beautiful flowers! I does remind me of a bridal bouquet from the 1940s somehow.

  • 7 years ago

    Roseseek, thanks for sharing that pic. Love that soft yellow tone!


    Jeri does the color fade from yellow to white quickly?

  • 7 years ago

    I grew Jesse in Zone 10a Encino (hot!) and it opened white with no tints other than when it was cool. I now grow it in Zone 9b Central California Coast, nine miles from the ocean with heavy marine influence. IF the flower forms and opens during periods of over cast weather, you will see the pink and yellow tints within the white flower. If, as it is right now, there is "temperature" (high seventies to mid eighties) and no fog so the sun is BRILLIANT, it's a white flower from beginning to finish. I have never observed a flower on my plant in either zone with as saturated yellow wash as Masha's photos. Location, location, location. I did, however, catch rather definite pink and yellow tints within the petal folds on the original plant in San Juan Bautista while visiting there with Jeri and Jill Perry. We all got to see them! So, yes, if it's brilliantly sunny and warm to hot, most, if not all, of the colored tints bleach to white pretty quickly.

  • 7 years ago

    It's there, though . . . And "back in the day" I think it'd have been sold as "Yellow".

    The color seems to come from the base of the bloom . . .

    And it's more noticeable when the light is not too strong, and is partially from the back: