lisa_marie83

When to Core Aerate....because.......

Lisa

I did it last fall and I spread the Poa annua like crazy not knowing it germinates then, I am going to be putting down a post emergent scott;s halts crabgrass and grassy weed preventer, so it has NO feed in it since I like to put down a good late Fall feeding of synthetic fert, so my ? is when to Aerate as I don't want to break the barrier of the post emergent.....Thanks in advance

• Joe BigBlue

Lisa I'm doing Air 8 this month.

• Lisa

whatttttt YOU are? did you buy it already? I am on the fence about that, seems weird to put liquid to soften the soil...Idk, my lawn took a turn since that bad bad storm when we got so much flooding here I have some fungal crap going on and I am over it , waiting till fall to see what happens and what and if I have to sod the areas..I did everything I could so it's out of my hands, the ONLY thing I can think of is my thatch layer is too thick, which I am going to check once it stops raining here, everyone here has fungus, except the weedy lawns...

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

My answer is, as always, "never."

A properly organically fed, well-treated lawn that isn't flooded out and has a nice population of worms shouldn't need aerating. If you observe short roots, or symptoms of air-choked soils (areas where nothing will grow, etc.), then maybe--just perhaps--it might not be a bad idea to aerate.

I don't see any evidence of that in any photo you've posted.

The last time I aerated this lawn? Never.

Lisa thanked morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
  • Lisa

Morph, I think the Thatch is to thick in my lawn I have to take a sample of it, I get dollar spot every summer for 3 yrs now never before that. Idk what changed besides the crazy springs and summers have been abnormally rainy here in Pittsburgh ?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Dethatching is always an option. :-) Strangely, I don't get thatch, but feed organically, so the thatch gets consumed.

Lisa thanked morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
  • Randy Man

Lisa, Do you mean pre emergent? Post emer. tackles weeds that exist now and pre prevents them before they show up.

• Randy Man

Fast forward to 3:25 and he talks about how aeration doesnt hurt your pre emergent.

Lisa thanked Randy Man
  • Lisa

Randy, yes, post emergent for Poa it germinates in late summer, early fall and flowers in spring, so last fall I Aerated and spread the poa that was underground and last spring tons of it all over, I had to dig out the pieces and re sod them what a pain in the ass with this lawn of mine, I can't wait till Oct-march to get a break Lol and Breathe . always something going wrong!! Thanks for the video, ..@ Morph, I should thatch ...I think that is adding to the dollar spot problem its so thick my lawn, when we get all that rain it just saturates it and never dries out, I think I wanna power rake it but will need a few hands Lol I don't wanna do it w the machine ..scary....