toniapgar

Advice on Gutter colors

toniapgar

Who knew gutters come in colors? I have a small beach house in Florida that is light blue. Needs gutters. Trim is white and medium blue. Gutter fellow said I could have white or light gray. New roof is medium gray, drip edge is light gray. Should I go with light gray gutters or white? I'm thinking of changing the trim to gray anyway. But gutters are a big decision! Advice?

• DavidR

You can always paint them if you decide you don't like the color you chose.

Kaleidoscope Designs

Go with white and paint the trim white also. The grey fad is past its prime. This is a classic cottage style home and, unless you want to make some more significant changes to the exterior, grey paint isn’t going to chang that.

• tatts

Gray would certainly blend in better with the roof and walls and draw far less attention to the gutters and downspouts than white.

This is not about a 'fad', it's about the best use of color for a particular utilitarian application.

Do gray, and paint the rake and eaves of the roof a similar color. Make it fade away rather than stand out.

• reich1

Match the gutter color to the area it is being installed so they are less noticeable.

• pambrian

Check all the building supply companies in your area. There's often one that can supply many different colours of gutter materials.

• wolrab

I just did a whole house exterior repaint and now am adding more gutters. All the companies that came out for estimates had about 20 or more colors. If gray or white doesn't suit you, check for a different company/color. Regarding painting gutters, we had that done with the house by a professional company and although they look great, the amount of paint applied is thin to adhere to the metal and the fact that it isn't baked on means more frequent painting down the road. Try to find a color you are happy with in the beginning. We complemented the roof color for the gutters and matched the downspouts to the body color -- and these colors were available from the gutter company.

• 93cc

Go with white. This gives more options for changing house exterior and trim colors without going through the aggravation and extra costs of painting the gutters. Moreover, once gutters are repainted, they're more susceptible to blowing off the secondary coats when the house is pressure washed/cleaned. Florida beach homes are often painted in vivid colors and gray will make this home more somber looking.

One benefit with going gray is the blackish/grayish streaks that are inevitable on FL gutters will require less cleaning than white since less observable. This is caused by roof runoff carrying a combination of dirt and breakdown of the roofing materials over time. A periodic soft wash will prevent this streaking from building up over time.

Also consider whether gutters are needed around the entire house, especially since your landscape is established. It appears you have a gutter over the front entry to your home. Just walk around the house to see if there are ruts in the yard caused by heavy rainfall coming off the roof. If you have exterior concrete slabs or pavers, these should be protected by gutters as they'll eventually be etched by the falling water if not.

To me, gutters serve a useful purpose where they're needed but cause unnecessary problems and costs in areas where they're not needed. Living in coastal Florida means strong wind storms coming off the ocean during the summer months and a reasonable chance for a tropical storm or hurricane. Post-hurricanes, one often sees gutters ripped off homes or damaged by flying debris. It appears you have one or more large trees close to your home (or overhanging the roof), and leaf litter each year will generate gutter cleaning work. The point is to install gutters where they're needed to avoid incurring an unnecessary initial investment cost and ongoing maintenance costs. On my FL coastal home, I have gutters on 3 sides (front, rear, and one side) since my non-guttered side has plant beds which deflect the water runoff and those plants can use the extra water.

Think about where the substantial storm water runoff will be diverted. Placing the downspouts next to the house can cause problems with the landscaped area becoming soggy and saturated with water which can also attract subterranean termites. Moreover, constantly wet areas around a concrete slab can cause structural problems. The way around this, if deemed a potential problem, is to plumb in an underground pipe under the downspout so the water is moved away from the house, preferably to an area that either drains well or landscaped for water loving plants. There are pop-up devices that attach to the underground pipe that pop-up to release the water and then return to the ground surface when the rain event is over.

Good luck with your project.

• tarma

While either white or gray would look fine, I would choose gray to blend in with the roof. And practically everyone does white, so that’s kind of boring.

• Molly Matthews

Who on earth wants the gutters of their house to stand out? Gray seems obvious to me.

• melusineseabridger

We just redid our roof mid-gray and choose mid-gray gutters to blend in, We also replaced the downspouts and choose a cream color to match the exterior body color of the house. We were offered a fan deck of different colors for gutters and downspouts to choose from by our roofer. I am happy with the decisions we made - blending in these utilitarian elements will mean we have less existing colors we have to consider next year when we choose new trim.

• chloebud

Gutters and downspouts need to blend. They're not something you want to highlight.