Software
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Rose lost all its leaves -

7 years ago

Moved a DA "Royal Jubilee" about three weeks ago; this was its first season in the ground for me and was doing well prior to the move. Since then, its lost all its leaves, and the dormant leaf buds have failed to grow -- nothing whatsoever. Wondering if I damaged it to the point of no return (in which case I'll shovel prune it now and replace with something else) or I should just wait it out to see if it does anything. Any advice?

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    I would keep watering if the canes are still green and hope for the best.

  • 7 years ago

    If it is as hot where you live as it is here may be some type of shade cloth would help as well as lots of water

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    MXK3 - transplant to the brink of d#@#. OK, d#@@ is a strong word.

    Dead hot part of the summer season. Any plant would be stressed. Here's hoping for recovery.

    I feel like just starting THIS week, it's starting to cool down, you can tell leaves/blooms are getting tired. Fall is just around the corner.....okay, time to get out the nitrogen and wake up the lawn

  • 7 years ago

    Water and shade cloth will hopefully revive it. LOTS of water - the damaged roots need to grow back before it can take up water efficiently. The leaves all fell off not because it is dead, but because it sacrificed them in order to survive, grow new roots first, and then grow new leaves later. DO NOT worry if it just sits there for a while - root growth is under the soil and thus invisible. If it survives, it should show new growth in 4-6 weeks. Patience is a virtue.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Just talking outloud. If the stems are still green, will it take in sun and make food?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    This is reassuring, thank you guys.

  • 7 years ago

    Well, I checked today and I see that some dormant buds are beginning to swell -- so hopefully will put on a bit of leaf growth in the next couple weeks.

  • 7 years ago

    "If it is as hot where you live as it is here"

    Kristine, have no idea where in the PNW you live but this has not been a hot summer at all in the Puget Sound basin. In fact, it has been below average normals all season long and with above average rainfall. Only a couple of days that exceeded 85F and one was in March (and a record breaker)!! Certainly nothing like the heat of a SE MI summer!!

    In fact, it's hard to make comparisons with our typically very cool summers to any continental US climate locations. It's like comparing apples and oranges! Because of that I am comfortable transplanting anything I want just about any time I want, without much concern of transplant shock.

  • 7 years ago

    Hee, hee - re hard to compare to "any continental US climate locations..." Try San Francisco in the summertime! Hotest months of the year are April and Oct usually. Summertime cool, foggy. Wintertime cool, mild & a little rainy. Sounds very similar to where you are!


    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    I live in Southern Oregon in Medford and we've had a much cooler summer

    It's been in the nineties where traditionally it is triple digits

    we've only had 2 days with over 100゚ so it's been a pretty pleasant summer

    I too am pretty brave about planting or transplanting in the summer

    When I worked for Jackson and Perkins we were given a dozen bareroot roses in July. I never lost a one but it took some shade and a ton of water .


  • 7 years ago

    My Charlotte's leaves disappeared, came back with a flourish, got quite a few blooms (albeit smaller) then the leaves seemed to vanish again overnight. I should have sprayed an insecticide as I suspect something had a feast.

  • 7 years ago

    mxk3, this is probably not important to you anymore but I heard and learned a little about transplanting and thought I would mention it here. You probably know this already...


    One is to water the rose you plan to move from one or two weeks earlier with a root stimulant such as liquid kelp, superthrive (vitamin B1) and/or a new product I found which has a small amount of rooting hormones, IAA and IBA.


    Second is it to cut a good portion of the upper growth off.


    I moved my Coquette de Blanche in the height of summer, late July, when it was actually growing, blooming very nicely and covered with buds. I did use the root stimulants one week prior and also used them at planting time. Also organic fertilizer in the hole. I did not cut any of the growth off. I was very cavalier, eeehhh nothing bad is going to happen and just dug it out and planted it in its new spot. There was a lot of long spread out roots and even though I dug a wide circle I did lose a lot of its roots.


    By next morning there was severe wilting and drying at the top and there was a little blackspot before which now appeared on 3/4 of the leaves (the lower ones) and these had turned yellow. By day two over 90% of the leaves had fallen off and a few sickly, droopy leaves were hanging on at the top on some droopy stems.

    I misted with water 3 times a day from the time of planting but nothing changed the wilting. Plants do take in water through their leaves, even the leaves and flowers on cut flowers will freshen and perk up when sprayed with water and these dont even have any roots. There was plenty of moisture in the soil. Seems like the plant just rejected some of the top growth as dead. Maybe there is some kind of communication between root and shoots that when there is root loss a proportional amount of shoots is let go. I was misting as soon as I transplanted not many hours later but I could not save the a portion of the top growth. It did look soooo bad...I thought it was going to die. I was determined to learn as much as I could from the episode though......


    Eventually C de B lived and is slowly putting out new leaves now.


    I think the root stimulants helped to turn things around in a week to ten days. But it is important to cut some growth off. I think there would have been less stress on the plant and so many leaves would not have fallen off if I had removed half the top growth. maybe there are long term set backs when a plant endures stress like this and those could have been reduced.


    Just an experience and some thoughts I am sharing.

  • 7 years ago

    Katya, I might soak a plant and only move it wet and keep it wet for a couple weeks and not cut the plant. It will decide how much how much of the plant it can support. The plant will effectively auto amputate what it can't support on it's own. I can trim off any parts that didn't make it later. Just another approach.

  • 7 years ago

    What a great word -- "auto amputate" :0)


    The rose is doing quite well now, considering. It's put on a fair amount of leaf growth -- as long as it's enough to shore up energy stores for winter, I'm fine with that, I just want it to survive and thrive next year.

  • 7 years ago

    I love auto-amputate too! That is effectively what I did Sheila, just let the rose auto-amputate as much it felt it needed to let go. I was musing aloud here if cutting what I 'thought' the plant would auto-amputate eventually anyway, then the plant will actually experience less stress and so would recover sooner with less damage overall. But who can say? Just years of mindful gardening might tell....which I hope I live to do...:)

  • 7 years ago

    I like to let the plants show me what they want, rather than deciding for them.

  • 7 years ago

    awesome philosophy. thank you!

  • 7 years ago

    I live 2 hours from Houston - it is super hot here. I have some roses in pots that I do keep well watered, but have lost most of the leaves. Canes are green but I dont see any new growth coming. I havent sprayed since June - [other responsibilities] and havent fertilized much. They have had plenty of water but I am worried because I am not seeing any new growth. Could it be the lack of spraying or the heat? Not all are doing this........but I would like to start seeing new growth put out. Should I use some root stimulate, fish emulsion, ??? Thanks for any advice.........

    Judith

  • 7 years ago

    I might use some fish fertilizer to help your roses in pots, or Osmocote Plus sprinkles in the pots. They might be in heat dormancy until it cools down some for you. My roses have started to grow after it has started to cool down. Long term pot culture is not something I've dealt with as far as root pruning and changing soil goes. That all sounds like a pain to me.