djacobz568sewi

Anyone having trouble posting pictures?

djacobz568sewi

I started a post and added the first photo. After over 1 1/2 hours the photo still had not loaded??????

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I love my husband for helping my dad..means a lot to me..cute grandson..you made a memory of a lifetime getting him a Mohawk!..

very cute that your mother calls pruners "nippers"..I've said "clippers".."nippers" is funnier..

a woman in an Indianapolis garden group on Facebook that I follow says "I see you have elephant ears..I might have extra in the fall you could have"..so I say "thanks..that would be great"..the NEXT morning (yesterday) she sent me a msg.."I put some in a pot for you"..so I say "would you like some Clausa hosta?"..she says "no thanks"..we arrange a pick up time for today..then she msgs and says "I think I will take a liitle bit of Clausa"..so I was late for my planned time to leave digging some Clausa..remember I'm a slow gardener..I called her so she knew that I wouldn't make it by 11..she had such a FUN garden!..a master gardener..lived there 33 years..she has hardy begonia..I tell her "I love it"..she says "want some?"..I say "yes" and then laugh..I'm greedy about plants..so I had a great morning and didn't pick up one stick..

my new plants..

djacobz..hc and I have had lots of Gardenweb conversations..once in the begonia forum someone said something like "this isn't about begonias but I find myself reading it" lol..glad to know you're enjoying the free for all thread..

djacobz568sewi thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • hc mcdole

djacobz, How did June and Halcyon get tangled up together? Deliberate or an accident? I have a Climax that either had an eye of something else in the vendor's pot or the Climax reverted to its original state. I have been meaning to separate those two for years and this year was it since they've been burning up since 2017 after having those huge trees taken down near it. They are in separate large pots in shade today.

The plain leaves look like Sum & Substance in a way. This was 2017 before the trees were taken down.

nicholsworth,

Enjoy your hardy begonias. I don't know how many times I tried it with no luck but everyone else grows it like a weed. So I get a gift from our president of our begonia club plus two florist English ivies. I throw them in a perforated aluminum pan with a little potting mix and stuck them under an azalea. They've come through this winter with flying colors (I knew the ivies would) so I am letting that pan alone and hope the seeds and bulbils spread like weeds.

I noticed the azalea is dying from drought but the begonias are going strong.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole

Please post pictures of how you have organized your NON walk-in closet

There are a lot of products on the market for this kind of fix - when I bought my house there were two different kinds in use - I recently moved the one from one closet to another so I know they are fairly easy to install - check out your local hardware stores - or Ikea if you have one. Also - Pinterest is a great resource for ideas using unconventional materials or repurposed furniture. Good luck

Having trouble getting my question and pictures on the discussion boar

Well, your call for help appeared on the discussion board, so your question could be too. Use the attach images button to attach your pictures. They have to be jpg format and you can attach 4 to your question. If you want to attach more pictures (we love pictures), do a comment when you've posted your discussion and the attach images button will appear, so you can use that again. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Having trouble bringing this room together!

Love the alternate pillows with the Moroccan design. Their color with the sofa color and the accent chair will set the mood for your room. Please consider stepping up your selection of artwork. This painting over the sofa could be an afternoon craft project for you if you pick up a large canvas when they're on sale for 1/2 price at Michaels. Use the color of the sofa to paint the niche next to the fireplace and the mantle. The room could use some sparkle, so a Moroccan design, dark wood frame could help punch up the room. The table lamp next to the sofa could be a bit larger, or I would consider moving both table and table lamp to area next to accent chair if there is room.

Having trouble getting a kitchen table!

Hana- do you have any reaction to what has been posted? It would be nice to get your input rather than asking "anyone else?" as it makes us feel that our suggestions weren't worth our time. Perhaps if you engaged in the conversation rather than asking "anyone else" those that are here and were willing to help could help you through this. Forget it now, I'm out of here and have deleted my suggestions.. Good luck.
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I remember you being disappointed with hardy begonias..I have no idea what the reason could be..I've never had any..the begonias looked terrific in her garden..I'll do my best and let you know what happens..

• bkay2000

Quote, "I told him we'd let his insurance pay for any damages when it goes down. He said that it is an act of God and therefore he would not be liable - end of discussion. Oh well... "

We had that problem a couple of years ago. A huge section of the neighbors pecan tree fell on our roof. Fortunately, our insurance paid. They explained to us that if it falls with no notice, then the owner is not liable. However, if you warn him that the tree is dangerous and he does nothing, he is liable. I'm in Texas, so it might be different where you are.

bkay

djacobz568sewi thanked bkay2000
  • bkay2000

I'm the genealogy nut. It would be a first cousin, twice removed. Your wife and her cousin would be first cousins. Your wife's cousin's child would be her cousin, once removed, her cousin's grandchild would be her cousin, twice removed. To be a third cousin, you and that person would have to share a great, great-grandparent.

bkay

djacobz568sewi thanked bkay2000
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

my neighbor's fence was damaged because another neighbor's dead tree hit it..the owner of the dead tree was responsible and just paid out of pocket..if the tree was alive when it hit the fence then it's an act of God and the fence owner's insurance company is responsible..this was the explanation that I heard..

hc..my begonia is planted..in addition to the main plant there were 2 cut stems without roots..I made new clean cuts at a leaf node..and 3 tiny stems with roots..planted everything..

hope they live..

• djacobz568sewi

Loved all of this thread......:D

• hc mcdole

bkay, thanks for the info on the insurance and damage. Someone told me to have the insurance company send the neighbor a formal letter about his tree to let him know he has been warned.

And also thanks for the definition of terminology on cousins and once, twice, thrice removed. Now then, what does kissing cousin mean? Just kidding.

Nichols, as long as I don't have to pay for damage out of my pocket then I am good on whoever is responsible for the cost of replacing shrubs, fences, and any other damages incurred.

I would have put the cut stems of the hardy begonia in some clean media to develop roots as the earth is full of microbes (good and bad). Also the rooted plants look a bit deep in the planting hole but time will tell if they are okay or not. I didn't even plant mine - just put the dug up begonias and ivies into an aluminum pan at the meeting, brought them home and added some potting mix into the pan after poking a few holes in the bottom, placed the pan under the azalea (that is dying from the intense heat and drought we are having), and the rest is history.

Here was the azalea (Hampton Beauty) in bloom in April ( the big one on the right).

mid May showing new leaves of B. grandis under the azalea

August 3

The green leaves of the azalea are now brown and I've been watering the ground around it in hopes of saving it. GRRR!

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

hc..I wish I would've thought to pot up the cut stems..the rooted ones aren't as deep as they seem..I put a lot of compost around them after planting..it's not as heavy as soil and settles pretty fast..I was trying to give the big plant some support until it recovers from transplant shock..it rained last night..they might look better today..haven't been out yet..

I think of the Masters when I see azaleas and rhododendrons (are both growing there?)..my husband has always watched it..the course is beautiful with all of those blooms..

• hc mcdole

I would be careful putting compost or soil around the stems though - could lead to rot. You don't want to really cover the crown just like most other plants.

I am not a golfer but I do see the beautiful images of the azaleas during the Masters. Rhododendrons are harder to grow here than in the mountainous regions but some people have found the right recipe for growing them here too. I have a couple but they aren't much to talk about.

Here are some of my azaleas this spring. This is one of the Encore azaleas (blooms in spring and fall). This is the only one I will buy (I have 3 now) - 'Autumn Twist'

It looks sandwiched between these two Japanese maples in this photo.

They really looked great back in 2016. Pink Ruffles in the middle, George Tabor to the right.

Formosa and Formosa Red (more a deep wine color)

George Taber (or Tabor)

A mix in the backyard too which you have seen some of.

Native azaleas aren't as showy but then they are fragrant.

our two dwarf Mildred azaleas bloom before the rest as the Yoshino cherries are about over and the Bermuda lawn wakes up in late March.

The last to bloom is Hilda Niblett (yeah, that is the name) and is in late May, early June in hot afternoon sun. Low growing but wide spreading.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • djacobz568sewi

hc mcdole , those are the most beautiful flowers you have!! What zone are you in?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

hc..your azaleas are beautiful..I'll pull some compost away from the crown..it was drooping and I was trying to get it to stand up..

• hc mcdole

djacobz, I am in the Atlanta area. We used to be Zone 7 but with climate change we are now zone 8.

Nichols, you may have to sacrifice leaves on the begonias (you could try propagating the leaves) as the most important thing is the crown and roots. They will come back when they settle in. I just have a feeling you might smother the crown if you put too much compost around the base. You can also propagate the stems (have a node or two) and go to town.

If you want the plant to stand up, consider staking it.

a few begonias 3 days ago

a big dark begonia (Selph's Mahogany)

Philodendron 'Brasil'

I started this small pot of Aglaonema 'Cutlass' a couple of years ago and it is doing pretty good.

So yesterday I was filling this big pot with some extra potting mix and found a baby blue tail skink in the bag of soil that has been sitting around for at least two months.

I finally was able to catch it and release it out of this big pot.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • hc mcdole

GW dropped two photos.

GRRR!

Here they are:

some begonias (Caribbean King starters, Betsy, U578, Deco Deviltry, Silver Collar, and Silver Beauty. The other silver one with a tinge of green is probably Fairy.

Selph's Mahogany

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

it rained last night and today..the compost is much lower by the begonia..the soil was wet so I didn't disturb it today..the begonia was standing up pretty well..
    what a cute critter!..maybe he eats some insects that chew on your plants!..
    we moved almost all of the pots today..only 6 concrete ones stayed where they were..painters are coming tomorrow to start the prep to paint the house..so the pots are out in the woods..it looks crazy..I'll start a post after I take some pics..

• hc mcdole

Send some rain to us...

I would imagine skinks eat insects like anoles and other lizards. Never observed it myself but I have seen an anole eyeball me with one eye while the other one was watching something else - a fat cricket. It finally hopped down from its perch and swallowed the cricket (about half the size of the anole itself). We also have red head skinks - not as pretty but usually twice the size of a blue tail.

Our last house was cedar siding and we'd have it painted every few years. I had to cut my azaleas in front down to 18 to 24 inches for the painters. It took probably 3 years for them to get back to six feet tall. I also would cut the Burford hollies on both sides to the ground but could not kill those things.

and what they looked like a year after cutting back to knee high. You can see how fast hollies grew back in this photo too.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I removed the lilac, yews and euonymous groundcover that were planted right next to the house..I left some space by the house when I planted new plants..but it's narrow and I dread this experience...I don't know if I could've been cooperative and cut back my azaleas like you did..I don't plan to cut anything..

• hc mcdole

Ah, I cut my big overgrown Japanese maple last fall for Xmas decorations. It has come back fairly well. Beats digging up a 15 year old JM.

Feb 2018 showing the bones of it

April 2018 it was blocking our dining room windows. The prostrate deodar cedar was getting out of bounds too.

early Dec 2018

bush pile

Feb this year (cut back some more)

April 10

July 17

This also gave the groundcovers a chance to grow (Vinca 'Illumination' and volunteer ferns)

these were back in early May

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

What a thread! And I had no idea it was a novel!

Loved reading the thread and admiring all the beautiful plants and the work and talent that goes along with growing such.

I am in my 60's too. My parents and my husband's parents have passed away. It's a different life without parents. The last one to pass was my mom who was 88 and living in her home of 50 years. She died five years ago and I miss her dearly. She was my best friend. She used to tell my daughter that living past 80 was a blessing. I never thought she would be the first of her siblings to die, but she was----suddenly, with a stroke . . . just gone one day. So I am envious of you that still have your parents. But I am also so thankful for the mom I had for so many years.

Now about trees, I envy those that are allowed to cut down trees on their property! I am very frustrated with my tree situation.

"in Wisconsin any part of a tree or vine that overhangs your property, you have the right to remove. . . . We have not been taking care of mother nature ..........."

We don't have rights with our private trees anymore. Our tree bylaw took affect about 15 years ago and has been modified and made more restrictive to this day. The benefits of trees has become of great importance. I just don't believe it should be as restrictive. Our tree bylaw does not take into consideration property damage due to trees (foundations, eavestrough etc.). That's where I am just baffled by this tree bylaw that protects trees but not property owners.

If you would like to catch a glimpse of what is going on where I live (in regards to my tree), you can read this newspaper article printed about my tree!

My tree situation

djacobz568sewi thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

hc..that Japanese maple pruning job was intense!..you'd laugh if you saw what I cut off my Japanese maples..a toddler could carry it..

newhostalady..what a gorgeous house and garden!..the people from the city are so unreasonable..it would be tempting to have hc come over and prune it Lol..

• djacobz568sewi

Too bad you came late to the novel newhostalady, but I believe you may have bought the perfect ending to the most “gone awry “ thread in the HL history........lol either that or maybe we could move to the tree forum.....I read the article......some people can just take things waaaay overboard! he and nicholsworth it was great reading...... never would have had the guts to cut that JM!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

hc, what a comeback for your JM. I haven't pruned my JM since I got it ten years ago! So nicholsworth, you are still way ahead of me!

Well, nicholsworth, that would be a great solution to my tree problem. Hc would cut it down, and I wouldn't be fined because I didn't know anything about it! LOL

djacobz, I am way late to the "novel." But still enjoyed it.. Thank you for saying it was perhaps the perfect ending. Thanks nicholsworth for your compliment too.

Now the article's picture wasn't very good. My daughter just laughed when she saw it. She said we look so tall! (Wrong camera angle used I would say!) Hope you saw the video too, djacobz. Then you would know what I look like! Didn't know they were going to take a video! Just thought they would be taking a picture and talking to us!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

newhostalady..I saw the video and the article..you gave excellent reasons for removing the tree..it's obvious that you care about your home and garden and take care of it..it's your home and your tree but your opinion doesn't matter??..life isn't always fair is it?..

• djacobz568sewi

I just saw the video! It’s an unbelievable story! What if you did not cut the tree down, but severely cut the branches back? Would they fine you or what? Can you appeal this decision? To a higher board? My goodness, I can’t Imagine not being able to control a tree on my property. I have real sympathy for you. Is the council going to help pay for damage to your house because they aren’t allowing you to remove !! Yikes! BTW....you have a lovely home and garden.....one can tell all has been taken care of. You and your hubby look wonderful!

• hc mcdole

I tried yesterday putting in comments with photos but to no avail. Boo - GW and Houzz...

That is horrible about your tree situation newhostalady! I can't imagine a town council getting involved with trees - if they are on city property - sure, but private property?

We have some HOAs here in GA that control the trees being taken down by the neighborhood's residents (which I find objectionable too). My youngest daughter lived in a neighborhood where you had to get permission to take down a tree and most requests were denied. They moved to a new neighborhood last year and it has a similar rule but they just got approval to take down five trees (today they get them taken down) for putting in a pool later on.

Big, tall trees are going to come down one day and cause massive damage if they fall on a house or a neighbor's house. Why not take those down and plant a more appropriate sized tree in its place? Most of the storm damage here is from big old trees falling on houses and cars.

There is a gated community north of GA that wants to stay as natural as possible and the HOA will allow residents 3 colors to paint their houses, even the trashcans have to be of the same 3 colors! If a tree falls, the tree has to stay where it falls unless it is on the house or the driveway. WOW! You cannot have a lawn to avoid gas engine yard tools just to keep noise down and stay "natural" but they have a golf course that is maintained by landscapers with "gas engine machines". I don't get it. I don't mind the no grass rule but the other rules are just too confining for my likes.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • Jon 6a SE MA

djacobz, I couldn't up-load photos and tried a lot of suggested methods to shrink them with no success. I had an old phone that still worked when I got a new one so I tried taking photos with it (less pixels) and it worked very well. Now when I take pictures and try to post them the rotate 90 degrees from the position the picture was taken for some unknown reason. I have become convinced my photos are being cursed. lol.

I like the idea of severely cutting back trees and letting them grow back far smaller. I have a big JM that I was just about to cut down. I am going to leave a 'stub' and to try for a small tree. That is a good idea hc mcdole. In MA you can cut back a tree on your property that straddles a property line as long as you don't make it "ugly". You cannot cut down a tree that has any portion of it's trunk on another's property. You are not liable for any damage from a tree on your property unless you have been warned it is a danger.

- Jon

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT

nhl, these people give tree huggers a bad name. Are they going to come out and clean your rain gutters? Pay for any damage the roots cause, or flooding into your basement? I guess not! ....Would those leaf blockers you install on the rain gutters help the roof problem at all? I know it won't help the deck or foundation, but you wouldn't have to dread every time you get rain or snow up on the roof. ....... Your backyard looks like such a nice place to be, I'm sorry you're having this tree problem.

djacobz568sewi thanked sandyslopes z5b n. UT
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Thank you all for your sympathy and kind words. I have shared my story because (1) I needed to hear from others that I am not crazy and the only one that thinks that way and (2) to educate others. The world is changing and living things are being given a voice through government.

Nicholsworth, I agree with you that life isn't fair. We really gave it a lot of consideration and felt that the tree now has outgrown its place. We just didn't know what the future would bring and the ramifications of keeping this tree (when we bought the house decades ago and were younger.

djacobz:

"What if you did not cut the tree down, but severely cut the branches back? Would they fine you or what?: Not allowed to cut the branches severely. Don't know if there is a fine for that.

"Can you appeal this decision? To a higher board?" No. I did appeal and the "higher board" has spoken!

"Is the council going to help pay for damage to your house because they aren’t allowing you to remove it?" Nope!

"you and your hubby look wonderful!"-------yeah, for a couple of seniors! LOL!

Sorry you had trouble posting yesterday hc. So frustrating! Hc, the city gets involved with all trees, private and city trees (if they are over 12 inches in diameter)! If we wanted to have a pool, the city would allow us BUT for every tree we would have to plant or pay the city to plant 3 trees. So for your daughter five trees times 3 equals 15 trees. Then if she couldn't plant the trees on her property, then she would have to pay the city about $600 for EACH tree! That's $8,000!

I've heard about those gated communities and their "rules!" We have them here. My brother-in-law had to return his outdoor awning because it wasn't the right kind or color (for his gated community)!

• hc mcdole

Wow, just lost my post again! Drats.

Anyway the gist was do you have to wait on a tree to fall from mother nature or can a tree be removed if it is proven to be ready to fall on your house? I would say the city council has too much power. I could see it if you sign on for the rules of an HOA but the city is another matter.

I think we've spent over $12,000 so far in having trees removed on this property. It is expensive but worth it. We had all the pines and sweet gums removed to begin with. Then some tall skinny trees to give us some more sun. This last time was ten trees for $3700 and I let them leave the logs on the property (just to get them out of my hair, what is left of it). They removed the limbs and chipped them in our driveway.

We still have too much shade and I would like to take some more trees down by myself if I feel safe about it - I am not climbing any tree to top it though. HA!

Here is our backyard from the deck this year - early June. Some trees are just dense shade while others seem to allow more sunlight in to the ground.

At least it isn't as thick as this stand of pine saplings on the walk we went on last week in the national park. This is reminiscent of our neighbor's swath of pine saplings that were allowed to grow up near our fence. GRRR!

The last leg of our hike is through a meadow of tall grasses.

Looking back at where we came from (at least ten degrees cooler)

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • Jon 6a SE MA

You can reach pretty high with a pole saw. There are also flexible saws with ropes to pull back and forth to cut off limbs where you stand away from getting conked. To tie off a tree I was cutting down in the front of my house (power lines) I shoot a small line into the branches and pulled a good size line and tied it off to a big tree to ensure I didn't take down my power and cable lines to the house. A little Robin Hood style. Limb Rope Saw is the correct name for the flexible saw.

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • hc mcdole

Good job Jon. That's the way we used to do it too. My dad even used his pickup truck with a very long line attached to the bumper and have my mother drive the truck when he cut the tree. I think he had a 28" bar and even it wasn't big enough to cut through their silver maples so they hired somebody to take those down - he handled the rest.

Here was one of the stumps he is standing next to. He used to be six feet tall. He planted four silver maples when they moved into the house in 1970. Two in the front yard and two in the back. They took these trees down in 2000 - 30 years old.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

hc mcdole, that's a lot of trees you have! Trees are expensive---that is, maintaining them or cutting them down. You've had a lot of work to do! I think we all love trees, but we also like to have a bit of sun on our properties too.

In our city we have the right to remove a tree (without a permit) if it is diseased (with something that is going to kill the tree), hazardous or 100% dead. Imagine that, 100% dead! So my friend's neighbor left his 100% dead tree to rot(?), and it fell on my friend's house. Equaled $100,000 worth of damage! My immediate neighbor removed her 80% dead tree but needed a permit and has to replace the tree ($500)! And you can't just say the tree is hazardous and remove it. You have to get city permission first!

You have a nice view from your deck, hc!

Jon, I can see you have lots of experience removing limbs. Thanks for the proper names of the tools. Unfortunately, my tree is six feet from my house!

hc, that tree stump your dad is standing next to is huge!

• hc mcdole

I am sure we all have our tree stories one way or another. Whenever we have high winds, lots of rain, we can be assured some trees are going to fall - often with fatal results. I just read about them, never seen it in person. We did happen upon a scene outside our old subdivision where a tree fell on a woman's car as she was driving into work. She was pinned in the car and the only thing we could do is talk with her until the emergency crews arrived with the big saws and mechanical jaws to cut through her car to free her. I can't remember if we heard that she had suffered a broken leg or pelvis. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

To allow a dead tree to remain in place next to a house is just irresponsible. I can see how the damages would easily amount to $100K.

We had a lightning strike on our front yard maple at the last house. It came in on the cable and got two TVs, a VCR, and our cable modem (that was a nightmare getting it all fixed). It blew bark off the tree and the irises close to the tree completely out of the ground. We had the tree removed a few weeks later.

At this house I heard a very loud boom, very close strike a few years ago. I rushed out to see if I could see anything on fire. Nothing. About 2 to 3 weeks later I see our neighbor's very tall pine tree dying. It was in the back of our lots so I went out to investigate and saw the bark split from the top almost all the way to the ground where I could see since there is a jungle of weeds on her lot. Over the years all the large limbs have fallen off so the only thing left is the massive trunk - good for woodpeckers. She also left a very dead tree in her immediate backyard for years and it eventually fell - fortunately falling in the right direction so nothing was damaged.

Here is the very tall pine tree that got struck by lightning.

It was slowly dying at this point (August 2013)

Less than a year later (March 2014) it was completely dead (tallest one compared to the green ones around it). The other trees around it are deciduous.

This was last year so the woodpeckers have been busy and all the limbs are gone.

Here's a tree we saw in the woods last year that was obviously struck by lightning. Glad we weren't near it when it happened.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

July 4th 1985 my mother's youngest cousin had a 13 yr old son killed by lightning..she let him go boating with a friend and his parents..they got off the boat and ran under a tree..lightning knocked all of them out..the mom (an RN) was awake first..checked on everyone but he was gone..it was one of the saddest funerals that I've ever attended..I think of him every July 4th..have been afraid of lightning ever since..

a neighbor in back has an enormous tulip poplar that was struck by lightning..happened in the night and woke us up..I found strips of bark in my yard..it's dying but still standing..he's aware and told us he's watching it..if it hits a house it would probably be his own..

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

the neighbor's tree in the upper left corner..see the missing bark?..

• hc mcdole

That is a very sad event. Lightning just struck some people at a PGA game in Atlanta this weekend but I think they all survived. I heard that a tree is the worst thing to seek shelter from a storm but I also would probably do the same thing as your mother's cousin.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

yes it was horrible..I learned then that you're not safe under a large tree..when a storm is coming I RUN to get inside my house..

• Jon 6a SE MA

Not lightning, but one night (many years ago) there was a big CARUMPH! in the middle of the night. In the morning there was a huge pile of branches under the second pine tree back. I went out and grabbed one of the big branches to start dragging it away. CRACK, CRACK, CRACK! I turned to run as another cascade of big branches rained down. One just clipped me in the back of the head. I was woozy for a while, but felt lucky to be alive.

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Jon..that was too close for comfort..I wore my husband's bike helmet one day..it was dry but windy and I wanted to stay out..a week earlier I didn't notice a skinny branch falling quietly and it whacked me in the head..I was woozy too..

• Jon 6a SE MA

If I hadn't taken a half a step away it would have cracked my skull for sure.

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

we're both lucky..

• hc mcdole

You were very lucky there Jon. We had a young boy at a pre-K school here who had a large limb fall on his head when they were playing outside. It severely disabled him and he died a few years later - so sad.

Speaking of trees down - here is what we saw this morning on our way back from our morning hike. It was still standing last week when we passed this way

I had my wife turn around on the other side.

the base just snapped.

djacobz568sewi thanked hc mcdole
  • Jon 6a SE MA

hc, that is very sad. Pre K! You can be sure I was keeping alert clearing out the branches. Surveyed all around very carefully before I went under it again. You can never be 100% sure.

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • djacobz568sewi

I had my own incident with just a large tree branch falling in the backyard this past spring, no one hurt but it destroyed the entire patio set, glass top shattered, broken deck board, ruined outdoor rug, broke limbs on other small trees and bushes.......we had downed power lines that were live in the yard......what a nightmare!! And the cost of removing, cleanup and replacement.....yikes! Since this turned into a tree post, I thought I would add mine. The other thing that it did was bash numerous holes into the ground..... now my yard is even more unstable than it was. Not sure how to fix that.....

• Jon 6a SE MA

The most important thing was no-one got hurt!

djacobz568sewi thanked Jon 6a SE MA
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Some very sad stories due to trees. Near us two boys were sitting under at tree at their high school and were struck by lightning when it wasn't storming here. It can strike from very far away sometimes. I didn't used to take it seriously, but after hearing too many stories like these, I do now. They try to teach here, when you hear the roar, go indoors. (Thunder is the roar).

We had a tree fall across the driveway due to a heavy snow load, leaving a 12 ft. trunk standing alone. It was still anchored in very well, so I let it stay for about 3 years thinking of woodpeckers and whatever other wildlife might use it, but I had it removed this spring because I didn't want the rest of it falling over the driveway someday, possibly at a bad time.

nhl, your situation is so distressing to me. What are the consequences of removing the tree illegally? Would it be a fine? You were already going to be on the hook to buy five new trees. Would a qualified tree company do it, or will they refuse without permission? Being so close to your house you need someone who knows what they're doing. Besides all the current trouble for you, it's making it impossible if you ever want to sell your house, having to disclose problems like flooding and so on. I bet you wish lightning would hit that tree and kill it so you could finally get permission to take it down.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I agree with sandyslopes that the tree stories are very sad. And lightning is scary and dangerous! Best to be indoors during lightning and try to get to your car or a low spot if you're outdoors. Your posts have made me think and next time there is lightining, you won't find me under my tree!

Sandyslopes, our tree issue has stressed out my husband and I. The city says there will be a fine of up to $100,000 for removing a tree without a permit. AND an additional fine of $100,000 may also be imposed. They use scare tactics and prolong the application and appeal process to deter you from removing a tree. A qualified tree company will not remove the tree, but I have heard there are some tree cutters that will do the job, permit or not!

Do I wish lighting would strike my tree? YES, as long as no one got hurt!

The city says trees enhance property values. I think my tree may enhance my neighbor's properties, but does NOT enhance mine! Who wants a tree in their patio, six feet from their house! Big mistake we made not cutting it down after buying our house. Could have planted a small shade tree instead of a monster tree that blocks our sunlight!

We were one vote short of being able to cut our tree!

• djacobz568sewi

Can you hire an attorney to file another appeal? Geez, I can’t believe you’re being forced to keep the tree when it’s causing such damage to your house! Soooo sorry....really I am!

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Oh no! So sorry to hear about such a hefty fine. Like djacobz/debra, I was also thinking you might consult a lawyer, and then thought it would be too costly, ....but probably not compared to the fines they may impose. Just terrible.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

djacob and sandyslopes, thank you for empathizing. I don't really know what to do. I mull around different options in my head, but nothing really seems to be the right answer.

Interesting though is a case coming up in September where the people do have a lawyer to represent them. It seems they have a walnut tree they want removed because one of their children is allergic to walnuts. The lawyer's report is "confidential" so not a lot of details were made public. I am REALLY interested to see what is going to happen in this particular case. There is no provision made in the tree bylaw for this kind of exemption. So will they be one of the few to be granted permission to remove their tree?

As for fines, there is a fine imposed for removing a tree without the required permit. I must assume that there is a different fine for removing a tree when the city denied you removal.