Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ewolf6149

Livingroom Corner needs life!

ewolf6149
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My livingroom is a "through" space, where the front entry door and the kitchen are on opposite sides of the room. This flow space creates a corner that is a little awkward. I currectly have a liquor cabinet and a shelving unit that houses our record player. I am looking to bring some function and life into this space and would love your opinions. Please send me your decoration ideas!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Now you have a duplicate post with the pictures so delete the other one if possible. First take everything out of that corner including the stuff on the walls What I see is chaos everywhere so decluttering is the first step. Find a different place for the liquor and the record player and put a nice chair and and a small table with lamp in that corner. Family photos IMO should be in more privat space so hallways leading to bedrooms is a good spot Get one piece of art there hung with the center at eye level lower the ones in the LR to the height put the record player on that table in the corner maybe. I you post pics of the whole space it is easier to get a feel for the space.

ewolf6149 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patricia! (I removed the other post)

My house have very limited space, so finding a new spot for the liquor cabinet (aka my husband's favorite custom piece of furniture) may be difficult to find another location, but I will definately measure and see if it can be moved to a new location.

I'll get more photos in the mean time!

Thanks!

More opinions are welcome!

• roarah
    4 years ago

I do not see clutter I see life! How about incorporating the bar and record player into one piece and adding a cool chair to the spot. I also would add larger pictures to the wall. I love records!

I like this idea but for your space I think a midcentury vintage seat and wood furniture would look better!

A piece like this maybe.

ewolf6149 thanked roarah
  • auntthelma
    4 years ago

If you keep the liquor cabinet, you can still make improvements using Patricia’s advice. Find another spot for the record player, guitar, dog bed and pictures. Put a leather club chair and table in the area. Add a beautiful mirrover the bar and a piece of art over the chair. Put a small area rug to define the space as th “gentleman’s lounge.”

• ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Loving the ideas! I found some photos on my phone, but will take more when I get home today!

The TV over the corner fireplace is another topic... but I welcome comments!

(Please excuse the clutter, these are old pictures.)

P.S. I just re-did the kitchen walls with board and batten recently.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

yep! I like Bev's idea to create entrance way.

• ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are more photos for a "360" view.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Why do posters hide the most important info and then bring it out later? OK I'm not sure I have this layout exact, but you get the idea. It's probably best if you stop using the entrance for a drop off zone unless you provide some reasonable storage. In the meantime, by placing the TV here, everyone can see it without having to look over their shoulders.

ewolf6149 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Marco
    4 years ago

I'd keep the function of that corner as is; you need the space. I'd suggest getting two large-scaled matching chests or cabinets, with sufficient space to hold what you need it to hold. Get a few large pictures to hang on the walls, to keep it simple and coherent.

Cherish the family photos, of course, but as said above, move them to a more private area of the house. It's nice to go to sleep and awaken to the faces of loved ones.

Good luck making this into a corner that is practical and lovable!

ewolf6149 thanked Marco
  • ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Over the record player.

When suggesting hanging larger pictures, do you think relocating the posters that I have (cars and motorcycles of filmogrophy) would look okay? Or are people suggesting less poster-like and more artwork?

I was also thinking about hanging a mirror, but was questioning it because I already have a mirror in the "front entry way".

Thank you!

• ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Over the liquor cabinet...

• ewolf6149
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What about adding legs to the shelving unit???

Add Legs to IKEA Kallax