Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_chriest

Which backsplash

Kathy
4 years ago

I have Taj Mahal countertop with Lambswool cabinets.

multi tonal
ivory glass subway
wavy all same tone

Comments (68)

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Ugh autocorrect. That should say “once it all comes together...”

• PRO
    nune
    4 years ago

I'm with @Home Interiors with Ease! A simple ceramic is the way to go to let the countertops stand out. The below kitchen does just that - Taj Mahal quartzite counters with a ceramic subway tile. For a more modern look you can stack the tile or choose a different shape.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

Kathy, I like the depth of glass tile too, but I don't think those mosaic strips work with your counter. Your second choice is ok in terms of size/simplicity, but it's the wrong color (you need something warmer). I would keep looking.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nune what do you mean by stack the tiles or different shape. Sorry all this is knew to me and trying to figure it out. My cabinets are taupe and when I’ve gone to tile stores they recommend warm colors but have a hard time finding something that is warm but not grey.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Stacked subway tiles...like this

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Stacked, brick pattern, longer subway tiles, or a shape like Moroccan or fish scale. Look for a cream, tan, or taupe tile.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update - got vanilla tile in and too bland.
    Posting photo of cabinet with a sample of Taj and it's not impressing me. Waiting for the Oracle Tundra that Home Interiors with Ease suggested.
    Posting pic and if cabinet with Taj

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

To bad you don’t like the Taj for backsplash..it is a very contemporary look..no contrast but very clean lines...can be very calm..but pretty....anxious to see the Oracle tundra..you would use light grout to match cabinets...I think you will love it! Hope the color is good.

• PRO
    nune
    4 years ago

A warm white tile would allow the Taj + cabinet colour to stand out even more. Anything too similar in tone will start to blend in and feel a bit murky. It's important to create a hierarchy of materials so the stone doesn't get lost. You could always do a simple tile with a different layout, perhaps a herringbone? See below.

Below is an example of what we wouldn't suggest doing - all the tones are too similar and the end result is flat.

Hope this helps!

• Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

I agree with those who have said the glass mosaic designs will not much longer be in vogue. Someday they'll be as unwelcome in your kitchen as an avocado green refrigerator and shag carpet.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Question - I get that glass mosaic is going out but why are people adverse to glass subway tile? I lije the herringbone pattern.
    I am liking this tile

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kathy a herringbone is very nice I have it....this is a image of my kitchen..with gray herringbone ceramic tiles.....I guess I didn't suggest it because I thought you wanted simple design...I think you will really like the ceramic tundra tile it may be very close to the color of that last tile you posted...Try to avoid glass tiles..

Saddlebrook · More Info

• kariyava
    4 years ago

Kathy, I like that choice and the herringbone pattern will be beautiful!

• kariyava
    4 years ago

It will end up looking like this:

Coastal White · More Info

• st5330
    4 years ago

subway tiles are too vanilla. ppl on here always recommend mend whats trendy, trends come and go. pick a style you like! poll your friends

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Waiting for Tundra but found some other s

• PRO
    Advanced Home Services
    4 years ago

out of 3 choices i would say go with the 1st one multi T, since your counter top has variations of shades that is the only back splash that captures the same color pallets,

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

The large wave subway are nice.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Skip the beveled subway. I have it and love mine, but I don’t have any corners. It will be tough to match up cuts in your corner.

• K R
    4 years ago

I also think the wavy one could work and is sorta different!

• kariyava
    4 years ago

I still like the glass option best. Make sure to hold up all your options next to your cabinets as well.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    4 years ago

I suggest simple. Taj Majal due to its price and look is supposed to be the star. The tile you choose should be subtle with barely any pattern. Maybe try a crackle tile in 3x6 in a soft color.

No mosaics or wave pattern as they class with the counter.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The problem is I don’t have a big peninsula so you really only see the Taj when you’re in the kitchen. My family room is part of the kitchen so you mostly see the cabinets and the backsplash from the family room and we use that space primarily

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The glass or plain subway tile are best imo. The patterned and wavy tiles are great on their own, but not with your countertops.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got the tundra and it’s too grey/greenish. I found some tile that has a less wave in both White and Taupe.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Can you remove the other tiles so the tundra is alone for a image?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

I like the taupe tile you found...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Hmm strange that tundra usually looks more taupe?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

What is your flooring material and color?

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My flooring is LVP. Pic below

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is another pic of the tundra alone

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Sure does look light green;/.....they are pretty for a bit of color but..but not with your countertops.....now that I see your floors..go with the off white tiles......it will look very pretty...are you going for a more farmhouse style?

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m just trying to be neutral so that it won’t be out of style in 5 years.
    Which tile the taupe wave or white
    Tile 2 or 3 or one from other pucs

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

I think you got the Nabi tundra not the Oracle tundra?

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is my order. This is the issue with my kitchen- colors look different than what you expect. Ugh!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

No image?

White is always classic..

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First us taupe and second white bygis us pic from store

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Kathy that is so strange..I wonder if they sent wrong sample?

I would do the white tile..with the modern texture keep it white and classic.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would use a polished white tile, without the wave, especially after seeing your floors. No more texture.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Calidesign - just a regular white subway tile? What color grout. I don’t like the idea of white cause it reminds me of shower plus don’t want to worry about keeping it perfect

• Patti Rosenberg
    4 years ago

Personally i love the taupe glass tile you posted. I think you should go with what you love!

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one?

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one below is glass and I have it coming in a longer tile. Its returnable I’ll post when I get it. I really appreciate the help.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

If you want long term classic..do not do glass..if you want a bit of texture but still keeping a neutral classic style the waved off white tiles are wonderful and willdo exactly what you are asking for...you can add a light taupe grout. Good Luck I am sure it will look lovely.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    4 years ago

Your countertops are beautiful! But I would use larger format glass ( a great look) or simple
    larger tiles .... the small ones are too busy with the Taj Mahal counters. Good luck on your project!

• PRO
    Advanced Home Services
    4 years ago

Have you looked at Villa Heirloom Pewter Arabesques Porcelain Mosaic.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was considering that however my husband is not a fan.

• Kathy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Ephros design. I have convinced my husband that larger tiles is the way to go.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    4 years ago

When you and your husband see the backsplash installed, I am sure that both of you will be very pleased, It really is beautiful granite and will be the star of the show.