frostyfootball

Taj Mahal Counters...help with cabinet color and backsplash

Kitchen: I found a pretty Taj Mahal quartzite I like (see pic) and hubby wants wood floors. I haven't picked out the floors, but was thinking a brown tone of 5" wide hardwood. I have a 19' counter and across from it a 9' counter (think galley, no island). Since I don't have the visual offset and interest of an island, I am worried it could be boring if I don't find a good backsplash.

1. Would appreciate thoughts on shaker cabinet color (white, pale gray, off white?) - I do love white

2. Backsplash to bring some vertical interest but not upstaging the counter - if I go with a white, then I'm afraid it's going to be too bland without an island for additional interest

2. Hardware color.... Have stainless appliances (will have a farm sink with stainless apron).

The new floor will be in the kitchen and nearby spaces (hallways, living room, dining room)

Leaning toward a floor in a medium finish like this....not too dark and not too light

• AJCN
    last year

You can use the Taj as your backsplash. That would be very beautiful. Bonus: you don’t have to struggle to find a backsplash that matches but doesn’t clash, doesn’t compete, isn’t boring, and isn’t blah!

• AJCN
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just reread your original post. In that post you said you love white. So do white cabinets! The soft warm white cabinets we did in my dad’s kitchen look absolutely beautiful with the Taj. He has stainless steel appliances and s stainless steel sink. His floors look like wood; they are a medium brown. And he chose a brushed nickel for the hardware. And his sink faucet is shiny chrome.

what colour backsplash with taj mahal quartzite countertops

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I love the idea of using glass in the kitchen for the backsplash. In fact, I just saw this while watching TV tonight... Candy Spelling was showing off her multi-million dollar penthouse and I saw that she used the sheet glass backsplash just like Adrianne pointed out in the pictures you provided. I am reluctant to decide on anything until after it is installed. Having experienced trying to find a paint to go in the neighbouring powder room, and how the same colour looks extraordinarily different than what it looks like in the Paint Store, it is unlikely we will pair the quartzite with anything until we see it "in our light". I like the idea of going with warm tones... We'll soon see...

Backsplash for Taj Mahal Quartzite Vanity Countertop

Love your quartzite! We used sea pearl quartzite in our kitchen and decided to keep the backsplash simple by using gray subway tiles, but sea pearl has a lot of grays and green undertones. Of course, since your Taj Mahal is going in a bathroom, I would look for a more delicate tile. Love the first picture posted by lucidos...looks like mother of pearl.

Help with Kitchen Backsplash - Taj Mahal Quartz

I just realized this post is from like years ago. My bad! Well, to anyone who searches and ends up here, I will leave the following: I have Taj Mahal quarzite (or something similar) and White Dove cabinets. Not sure if your quartz is a similar color to this, but I ended up doing medium gray glass tiles for contrast. If you like them I can dig up the manufacturer/color and whatnot. ETA: The walls are Revere Pewter and the floors are dusty because this was during construction :)

Color backsplash with Taj Mahal quartzite on the grey side

Love Taj Mahal quartzite. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! We went with sea pearl quartzite on our kitchen island which is very similar to Taj Mahal. We decided to use a gray glass subway tile made by Emser. The color is fog. Tay Mahal has lots of grays and greens in it...You could do either of those colors. I've also seen it paired with white tiles and marble. Such a beautiful stone.
  • chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

It is hard to give any recommendations for backsplash because the TM slabs can vary quite a bit. Mine are very cream colored with a lot less movement. Look at the photos and how they differ. Mine are more like the ones with the herringbone. Yours are darker with a denser, more busy pattern.

Go with white cabinets and once the TM is installed, then bring lots of tile samples home.

frostyfootball thanked chispa
  • AJCN
    last year

Agree with chispa. The slab will look different when it’s horizontal and under your lighting (natural and artificial). My Dad’s slabs looked a lot lighter and creamier after installed. The gray seems to hover in the background. For us, we chose to use a light geige for paint and leaned more creamy for the backsplash rather than leaning more gray. Once your slabs are in I think you’ll be able which direction to go, and it’s always an option to use the Taj for the backsplash. I wish we would have done that. Good luck!!

• frostyfootball
    last year

I loved this cristalo semi-precious stone. Love. I'm thinking this slab would be amazing on a big island where you can get the whole picture of it. I don't have an island. I have a 19' long counter (interrupted by sink, stove) and a 9' counter. I don't know that the beauty can be appreciated and how it would look on opposite counters if the piece of the slab without that stunning dark visual feature is used on one of the counters. E.g., the bottom half of the slab.

• AJCN
    last year

My Dad’s kitchen has no island. It’s u-shaped with a counter-height peninsula with sink in peninsula. The Taj is more uniform than the stone you just posted.

If you have a preference for where a particular part of your stone will end up you’ll need to be involved in the templating. My BIL did that. They had a very swirly blue and gray granite, and there was a beautiful swirl that he wanted to showcase. So he made sure that it ended up at the end of the peninsula and none of the swirl was cut off by anything like a sink or the edge of the counter.

frostyfootball thanked AJCN
  • RedRyder
    last year

I also agree with chispa. Don’t try to figure out the backsplash until the cabinets and countertop are installed. And your lighting. Small amounts of paint on the wall will help to figure out what color in the Taj stone you want to enhance.
    I highly doubt a white cabinet/Taj kitchen will be boring. That stone is the star of the show so your backsplash cannot compete. Think SIMPLE.

frostyfootball thanked RedRyder
  • frostyfootball
    last year
    last modified: last year

Emailed pics to my hubby of the counter I love most - the Cristalo (between that and the Taj). I told him I thought it was like God's work of art. Stunning. He replied, "If you say so." LOL

Agree totally, Red. Simple.

AJCN, yes, good info again.

Beverly, you are so excellent with capturing the setting with no island. You continuously and expertly show precisely similar rooms for inspiration.

MomofThree you're reading my mind

I can't get the Cristalo out of my head

• RedRyder
    last year

If you can’t get the Cristalo out of your head, then buy it. As pretty as the Taj is, you seem in love with the other. I fear you’ll regret not getting it .....

frostyfootball thanked RedRyder
  • frostyfootball
    last year
    last modified: last year

Red, you get me. LOL I haven't seen a slab like it and it's so unusual in person. Not sure what cabinet color...

Glo European Windows & Doors
    last year
    last modified: last year

The Cristalo is beautiful with a lot of subtle color throughout. Instead of white cabinets, which seem like they might be too harsh in comparison to the stone, have you considered a more warm tone cabinet? Something similar to this (from Amber Interiors):

Like others have said, I would wait on selecting the backsplash and hardware until everything is installed. However, I think I would start saving links to my favorite modern antique brass hardware to bring out the brown tones in the stone.

frostyfootball thanked Glo European Windows & Doors
  • frostyfootball
    last year

Agree Glo. I love a white kitchen and the light cabinets in off white /dove would read very light which is fine. I'm going to pick up cabinet samples now to bring over to the fabricator.

• typeandrun
    last year

We just had taj mahal installed over espresso cabinets and love it! Our wood floor is lighter in color and no gloss.

frostyfootball thanked typeandrun
  • Joanna Cucchi
    last year

We used Taj and did white cabinets and a taupe crackle from Sonoma tilemakers. We really like it but I agree with waiting until you see the countertop under your lights.

frostyfootball thanked Joanna Cucchi
  • frostyfootball
    last year

Joanna can I get info about your floors?

Thank you all for sharing your pics and they are all gorgeous. I decided to go with the Cristalo instead of the Taj - loved them both and would have been happy with either. Found a pale gray cabinet that should read very light. A tiny picture of the hardwood next to the cabinet. Still working on the floor option. Pictures below...

I was so drawn to this feature...

• Joanna Cucchi
    last year

Frostyfootball, our floors are actually LVP, cortec. Most people are looking for hardwood but we have a pool and younger children so it works well for us. We really like it.

• AJCN
    last year
    last modified: last year

Frostyfootball,

Great choice! If you love that “moody lightning bolt” make sure your fabricator knows where you want that to land on your counter. My BIL’s swirl had to be all contained, but your lighting bolt could cut diagonally across your counter in your chosen spot, and the ends could be cut without ruining the affect. Pick the sweetest part of the bolt to showcase it.

Note: my Dad’s floors are also CoreTec LVP because it’s a mountain ski vacation house with occasional renters and he liked the water-proof promise. My house has hardwoods. Of course I love the hardwoods, but with kids, dogs, etc, I’m starting to like his floors better! It was a collaborative remodel involving all my sibs and I lost the flooring election. I was pi**ing my sibs off during the remodel by always referring to them as “our plastic floors,” but during our Spring Break vacation up there in March, I was very impressed at the look, feel and also how easy to clean, and appreciated the absence of worry about wiping up every little dribble of water. I’m not advocating, just saying they weren’t as bad and “plastic” as I thought they would be.

• frostyfootball
    last year

LVP is all the rage. I would definitely consider it but hubby wants the wood. We don't have kids or pets, and every house we have been in has had wood. He disliked the porcelain wood tile planks I chose simply on feel. He doesn't like tile floors I guess. The LVP would probably grow on him but I am picking and choosing my battles. :)

• frostyfootball
    last year

PS I'm calling it the black river...lightning bolt is good too!

• AJCN
    last year

I like having hardwood floors at home. We even have them in the master bathroom. I only mentioned by Dad’s LVP floors because I had experience with them and wanted to mention that they aren’t as ugly as some people say on forums like this.

As far as your stone, “Black River” is the perfect name! My sister has a little spot in her granite we call “the rose,” my BIL has his Van Gogh “swirl.”

In my kitchen we have a dark leathered granite, and there is a “sunburst” and some “shooting stars,” but you can only see them at night when the lights are on inside and it’s dark outside.

Sometimes these special patterns only reveal themselves to the homeowners. I could never capture the late night sunbursts and shooting stars in a photo to post here.

I love the stone you chose! Can’t wait to see the finished kitchen!

frostyfootball thanked AJCN
  • cpartist
    last year

Just make sure it is truly quartzite and not marble

frostyfootball thanked cpartist
  • AJCN
    last year

Oh my gosh, Cp is right! I forgot. Do the marble tests. I can’t find the Karen MT instructions. Hopefully someone will post them.

Flo Mangan
    last year

We have TM and love it. It is lighter which I love and has unusual movement. Our island base is Repose Gray, and we have dark wood engineered wood floors. It is really beautiful. As mentioned, verify any stone and get written info documenting The unique numbers associated with each slab. Be sure to be directly involved in templating your slabs. Very important. Take photos at fabrication shop for future needs. Document, document, document with paperwork and photos. Either stone will be beautiful but I would choose the TM because if you don’t have an island you won’t be able to showcase the lightening bolt properly. Might come down to cost. Going to be pretty.

• Donna Tepper
    last year

We used the Cristello in a small bathroom with a dark brown, contemporary vanity. The contrast of the white in the stone with the dark cabinet is stunning. We’re very happy with the stone and sure you will be too.

frostyfootball thanked Donna Tepper
  • chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do you have a fabricator? I would have him/her give a final approval on the slabs. I looked at some slabs and my fabricator said they would not work as they had too many fissures that would cause problems. Your black river looks like it could be a large fissure. If you need to end the love affair with Cristalo ... better to do it sooner, rather than later! :-)

• frostyfootball
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you Google 'pure quartzite' ' you will see this stone - they referred to it as 'semi-precious quartzite.' This one was above Taj in cost (marble is much less) . There are other cristallos more abundantly available and less than Taj in cost that I ruled out. The company I am working with mines its stones from quarries in Brazil and does their own fabricating and fabricating for other stone providers. The company/fabricator is providing a 3 year replacement guarantee against staining, etching and other issues as they are standing behind this as pure quartzite.

• frostyfootball
    last year
    last modified: last year

Flo, good points. I was thinking the same thing about the lack of island not being able to show the whole river. But, I couldn't get this out of my mind and as Redryder mentioned, I would regret not getting it. I will be involved in the templating and I've already discussed with the fabricator her suggestions for how to showcase the river. One of the features I am drawn to about the slab is that the counters will show unique features across the 19' expanse and the 9' expanse vs a consistent look.

• RedRyder
    last year

That stone is just a knockout! I’m so glad your fabricator/stone company are one and the same and are giving you guarantees. From my monitor, the cabinet color sample looks good, but as we have all learned (on Houzz and in our own homes) lighting changes everything. Make sure the cabinet color works when the slab in horizontal.
    I can see why you loved that “black river” feature. I would suggest ordering samples of different colored hardware right away. So many finishes will work with your stone and cabinet choice. I am predicting a hard, but “good problem to have” choice.

frostyfootball thanked RedRyder
  • ljptwt7
    last year

Looking forward to seeing it all put together. Any chance of a blue backsplash with that beautiful stone?

• frostyfootball
    last year

Ljptwt7, I don't have too much blue in the house. I am thinking of the gold handles for the cabinets to bring out the gold in the stone. Will wait until it's all in to do the backsplash and see what grabs me.

• Susan Murin
    last year

I love the Cristalo. I fell in love with a similar slab locally that was labeled crystal white but the love affair ended when I found out the price was $10k/slab or 3x the Taj I ended up going with....since I needed 3 slabs I just couldn’t justify it, but I do get the obsession. I used creamy white on cabs, dark stained wood on island, taj everywhere, and a stacked bond matte griege elongated subway for backsplash. Can’t wait to see your kitchen when it’s done!

• frostyfootball
    last year

Susan, oh, your kitchen sounds gorgeous. I'm all over your choices. Would love to see pics. I went with the pale gray cabs to pick up the grays in the slabs. Pulling in a just slightly darker than medium wood floor, and love the stacked bond subway (did the same thing in my master shower). I'm so glad you get where I'm coming from on the Cristalo. Because I'm dealing direct, I was able to save a bundle, but it is pretty rare to find this pure quartzite, semi precious and thus the costs I saw elsewhere for even regular cristalo were way out of budget. I feel quite fortunate to be able to get this in budget.

• ksanti9221
    last year

Hi. They installed my Taj Mahal 3 months ago. Still can't decide on the color for my cabinets. On reference to testing the slabs, I did test mine and got the real thing. I went to several places that labeled some slabs as quartzite or Taj Mahal but they were not! I researched and researched on the subject. Quartzite can be soft or hard. Hard ones such as TM won't stain or etch. In one article they noted there are only three pure quartzites, (Taj Mahal being one of them). All others,(soft ones), expect to stain and etch if you are not careful. I love my TM and so far has lived to its promise. Not even red wine has stained it. Do your homework before getting your slab so you are not disappointed later on. Hope it works for you and the project turns out great.

Also, I would like to know the color name/number used for the cabinets mentioned before. Thank you.

• frostyfootball
    last year

@ksanti9221 do you mean your taj is sitting on unfinished cabinets?

• ksanti9221
    last year

Yes.

• ksanti9221
    last year

Well, I meant they are my old cabinets that were there when we moved in. The painters are stripping and priming. They are stained right now. Also the family room which is next to the kitchen and all wood paneling has the same color as kitchen cabinets. For cabinets I would like SW creamy, alabaster or dover white. For family room SW neutral ground or cavas tan. I can’t decide. At least I know the colors I like haha.

• ksanti9221
    last year

I have Taj Mahal in the bar too. My kitchen is already covered as they just started to work on it and can’t take a pictures right now.

• RedRyder
    last year

ksanti, my entire kitchen is SW creamy. Love it. Very easy color to live with.

• ksanti9221
    last year

RedRyder, creamy looks beautiful in your kitchen. Thank you for the input. And yes, I decided to use SW creamy for the kitchen too. Can't wait to see the final product.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    last year

following

Flo Mangan
    last year

Hey! Cheryl. How are you guys doing? I have Taj Majal too and love it. You can use just about any tone with it. Do test colors using samples from samplize.com if you can. Much more accurate color and you can move around to test in your various light conditions. No extra paint to dispose of either. I have super white walls and a blue/gray island base with dark engineered floors. Looks great. So you have lots of potential choices! Going to be gorgeous!!

• RedRyder
    last year

Wow. Good that you caught that problem! Flo: You saved the day!

• hamannclan

I have ordered Taj Mahal recently and now am worried about its hardness. Does it scratch easily???

• Joanna Cucchi

We do not baby our counters at all. It has had no issues. No staining and no scratches

Flo Mangan

I have Taj and it is a quartzite. Quartzite is harder than granite. I have taken steps to be careful like any countertop but it’s been 2 years and no problems at all. Love it.

• frostyfootball

Old thread. I wound up doing Cristallo quartzite with slab backsplash.

• rjbane

Which finish on Taj was preferred - polished or satin? I was planning to buy satin, but one fabricator said splatters from my cooktop might stain the quartzite and that I should use polished.

• Susan Murin
    yesterday

Frostyfootball, please post pics! Would love to see what that beautiful stone looks like, installed.

• typeandrun
    yesterday

I have a leathered finish in Taj Mahal. I love the feel and "oldness" to it No issues on splatters