Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theycallmedave

Hardy Chicago Toronto

TheyCallMeDave
4 years ago

I'll be having my first fig of the season tomorrow. If perfectly ripe, I'll be having all 4! I'll post pics of the interior and how they taste. I harvested about 35 last year and for the most part, they were all great figs.

Comments (20)

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's the photo of the figs I'll be having tomorrow when I get home from work.

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

Nice to see that they ripen for you Dave, is it the original Hardy Chicago ?

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, this is the mother plant.... It has over 100 figs on it. The plant I gave my mother to plant in ground is doing well but I doubt any of the figs will ripen in time this year.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yours look like they got much more sun than mine. I had 2/4 figs so far, tastes good but not great like last year. I left the other 2 to become Ripe/Overripe. My mothers tree is about 9months old, I started it for her in January and gifted her on Mothers day. She planted it in ground in June. It has lots of figs but I don't expect them to start ripening until October... We'll see. It starts to get cold in October.

Your Negronne is doing great. I expect to harvest it this weekend. I'll be posting pictures on the other fig website. I'm quite excited to try it.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I noticed you have 4 figs on the scale that come up to 91grams.... mine weight just under 30grams each... if I do the math, your figs are much smaller than mine (22.75G per fig compared to the two I got so far this year, both were 29+grams.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's a photo of today's fig. I'd rate it about 8/10... Definitely much better than what I get in stores but not as sweet as last year... Again, I'll let the other 2 ripen more before picking. Last year I remember, the more cracks and the bigger the bottom hole, the better the fig. I has some figs that had a hole at the bottom that was 1-2cm in diameter.

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

You right, its it's on my Hardy fig are you small it is in too small container.

I am traing to see what will it do ! Well now I know Lol !

Is in 6 gallons container

4 half inch trunk at the base plus I root pruned it in February and I guess I didn't prune the canopy enough.

That fig above is it the one that you send me cuttings off ?

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, 100%. It was the only fig I had back In January.

From my experience, it will quickly outgrow the 6G pot. Very, very productive tree for me.

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

Oh I see, the one I am talking about is not the one I got from you Dave, it's my older Hardy fig.

The one I got from you is ripening third fig now I will post it here when ripe.

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

Here is the fig that I got from you

Figs on last photo are second main crop.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks like you'll be having another fig in a few days from now. I just had one for breakfast. Came in at 31grams and dark red interior. Sweet flavor.

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

Here are the two ripe fig's

Dave, yours was less ripe but sweeter and different better tasting.

All though they look so much sama waves and

fruit ! It is still possible that they are not same.

Don't name it yet.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, that definitely looks like the figs I grow in Ontario. Hmm, maybe it is different. How does the taste of the two differ?

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

I tasted more berry flavor, I still have about 5 fig's main crop and 3 fig's second main crop, I will keep you posted.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just pulled 20 figs(ate 2 before picture) off the tree today bring me close to 50 figs this year(from same tree).

I found this fig in particular to be very interesting. Do Hardy Chicago's drip honey like this?

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

Ou woul ! That look good !

Hardy 66bares fruit for me since 2014 I had lots ripe fig's ripened to almost prune but never noticed honey drop Dave !

Is that the only one with honey drop ?

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, first time I've seen honey droop. It was incredible.

• TheyCallMeDave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To be honest, they usually shrivel and become really soft.... instead of juicy and honey dripping like the one in the photo/

• bluemoonlight
    4 years ago

That is nice that a fig can impress you that much, my fig trees and fruit's go through my forensic lab Lol.

My BM and CdDB are jealous because I pay more attention to Dave's fig.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living