Software
Houzz Logo Print
hoganjr

Help Morph! Seed is going down

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Just got compost delivered for a Reno. It looks like mulch but the sales rep assured me it’s wood based compost and not mulch.

i want to topdress the grass seed. He said if put down lightly it is perfect for what I’m doing.

He uses it on all the sports fields in my area and works great.

what do you think?????


Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    Having a problem uploading photo

  • 7 years ago

    Here’s a picture.....

    I ended up applying a thin layer, like you mentioned. So I did noticed it had a smell like compost and had some heat to it. Also it looked like a lot of bark/ wood but as I threw shovels full on the ground, there was finer particles too.


    My concern is not only amount of wood chips but also how the heat from the compost affects the grass seed.


    I had 2 yards delivered but I only used about a yard over 2500 sqft. So it is a light layer.....

  • 7 years ago

    Heat means composting isn't complete, but it's also normal for a wood shavings pile. With the amounts you spread over the area you spread them, heat buildup isn't a concern and there's no need to worry. Two feet deep? Worry mildly about heat, but worry a lot about the fact that you just entombed your seed. :-)

    It sounds and looks like pretty standard shredded wood mulch. I wouldn't repeat the experience in the future, but I wouldn't call this a mistake, either. It should work out fine, but I'd expect to find bark bits and wood pieces in the lawn for some time to come.

    Fortunately, the mower chops them up just fine and doesn't particularly care.

    hoganjr thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Ok thanks.... yeah peat moss is probably the way to go.


    i did grab a handful and it did crumble fairly easy so hopefully that’s good news.


    Maybe i I should apply a little urea at .25 lb/1m?

  • 7 years ago

    I'd hold off. Right now, you want the shield, and the crumbling means it's pretty well-composted, so that's good. It should decay well.

    Next Memorial Day, if it's a problem, then hit it. But if it's crumbly, I doubt it will be.

    hoganjr thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I have one more question, my hell strip took a beating this summer and I let it go dormant/ possibly dead.

    the only seed I have on hand is Mazama KBG seed. My grass is a northern mix of mostly tttf some KBG and rye.

    Do you think I should seed it ( and spray a pgr to slow existing grass) or do a weekly spoon feeding of urea?

    I realize straight KBG will struggle growing with my existing lawn.


    thanks again!!

  • 7 years ago

    Here’s a photo


  • 7 years ago

    Dealer's choice. Me, I might try an overseeding, realizing that KBG will take the licking and keep on ticking. Once rains resume. Assuming that it doesn't completely fry out, of course. Which it doesn't usually do once mature. So you do have to "baby" it (not let it completely sit under a flamethrower) for two, three years before letting the weather have at.

    hoganjr thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Ok thank you Morph......one more little question, Lol. I sprayed a PGR (T-Nex) tonight. How long before I can scalp? The window for KBG is getting shorter.....can I go from 3” to 1.5” in one day? I like to get seed down ASAP.


    thanks again

  • 7 years ago

    " How long before I can scalp?"

    Four hours. " Turfgrass injury can be minimized by using one of the following options: 1. Mow 4 hours after the application of Quali-Pro® T-Nex® ; "


    Uptake may be reduced by mowing too quickly, so spraying a longer lawn then quickly mowing short might reduce the effect of the spray,

    I wouldn't worry about it overmuch.

    hoganjr thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Reading this thread.....interesting read on the mention of PGR ! I overseeded my hell strip as well, and although tedious, I'm just planning to use my hedge shears.

    I considered trying pre-germinating as well, but the analogy of spreading wet krispies did not seem appealing

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Wouldn't the compost be a problem with N ? compared to peat ?

    Especially when it's right on the surface where in the literal sense, the new seed roots are as opposed to PM. i try not to have peat in my gardens at all (soil is clay) other area more loamish, sorta unavoidable with annual plants from nursery though

  • 7 years ago

    Nope, you're cool. It's the same as a shredded bark mulch, and seed roots have everything they need for the first month from the seed capsule. By then, they're way below the layer where the interface can impact them (even in the heaviest soils).

    Dug in, it would be a disaster. On the surface, it's just a mulch, like nature delivers every year.